Nonstop news coverage of snow, falling from the sky !!!

Further

The tsunami hype on the news was crazy yesterday. Tidal surges of 2-4 feet are possible!!!  I wonder if anyone knows normal tidal flows are commonly 4- 6’ or more every freaking day. 

Hmm well that doesn’t create panic. Just beat down tidal surges of 2-4 feet!!!! I freaking hate network news. 

• Heart 2

I turned on the weather channel and they were broadcasting in the snow from Greenville!  They went to the local guy standing on a corner by a gas station and then the woman in the studio had to show she knew about Greenville and started talking about the road he was on.  Then the local guy started talking about how it was developing so fast and they had just torn up a field of trees to build some development.  Somewhere in heaven, Cheese was getting very angry.

• Heart 3

50 minutes ago, Further said:

A road crew guy explained that during the storm, there may be snow on the road !!

Somebody else pointed out that south of the city has more snow now, but as the storm moves north, the northern areas will get more snow!!!

This made me laugh out loud. 

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

The tsunami hype on the news was crazy yesterday. Tidal surges of 2-4 feet are possible!!!  I wonder if anyone knows normal tidal flows are commonly 4- 6’ or more every freaking day. 

Hmm well that doesn’t create panic. Just beat down tidal surges of 2-4 feet!!!! I freaking hate network news. 

a buddy of mine in Galveston said tide was lower than he has ever seen it .

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Come on April!

We only got about double this amount by 8 pm and maybe there will be another inch into the morning, before it warms to 40° Monday.

There's supposed to be up to an inch of ice beginning around now, but there's still less than an inch on the side roads so at least it won't be hidden under the snow.

The County offices are closed for MLK but trash collection is on so I have to put my cans out tonight in case they pick it up tomorrow.

20220116_164237_IMPR_900P.jpg.d8ba215af74fa86a699593865f50c8c4.jpg

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Further said:

A road crew guy explained that during the storm, there may be snow on the road !!

Somebody else pointed out that south of the city has more snow now, but as the storm moves north, the northern areas will get more snow!!!

You should watch the insanity when a trace of snow hits the Seattle area. It’s some of stupidest garbage you’ve ever seen. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Further said:

Clearly your area didn't get any/enough snow for Christmas?

• Heart 1

I'm alive!

I woke up a 5:30 am and realized I hadn't set out my garbage - which is scheduled to be collected, normally around 7 am, even though it's MLK's Birthday and we only get one collection/week.

Outside, almost all the snow had disappeared from an overnight rain but, as I walked outside, I realized it had mostly turned to ice.

My first thought was, "I'm going to slip on the ice, break something, not be able to stand up and I'll freeze to death."

My second thought was, "I guess I'll be able to crawl back to the door."

So, very flat-footed, I carried a garbage and a recycling can, one at a time, out to the street.  Only the street and sidewalk were really slippery, but I was careful and lucky there's an anti-slip tread on the bottom of the sandals I wear around the house that worked pretty well.

So, after all that, they probably won't collect until tomorrow.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

9 hours ago, Airehead said:

I feel the need to announce that the snow has started in my village. 

If you get as much as friends in Ligonier, PA and Lockport NY got and are getting I'm bringing the dog trailer and camping in your driveway.  You will have sled dogs running up and down the trail by your house. I'll bring an extra sled and equipment and the Airedales can join the fun.

• Heart 2

12 hours ago, Further said:

That took all day? News people sure like to talk :D

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

P.S. to "I'm alive."

I noticed most of my neighbors hadn't set their garbage out, either because they didn't expect collection on MLK Day - I had looked it up online - or because they didn't want to slip-and-slide putting the garbage out in the snow and sleet.

But the garbage trucks - which we only get once a week - came for both garbage and recycling.  My recycling bin was full so I'm glad I woke up early and thought about it.

• Heart 3

I got my first call asking if I was closing schools for tomorrow.   I responded with, “what do I look like a magic 8 ball?”

Told our media guy and he responded with, “I believe it—weather people are turning this into Armageddon .”

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Told our media guy and he responded with, “I believe it—weather people are turning this into Armageddon .”

Ratings.  Oddly enough, folks complain about the wall to wall snow event coverage, and then complain about the lack of wall to wall snow event coverage before going back to complaining about the wall to wall snow event coverage.  Rinse and repeat a dozen times. :D

I'd wager, on average, we have more weather posts in the Cafe than we do cycling posts. :scratchhead:

• Haha 1

I drove 40 miles round trip to drop off a medical form this morning. I got there and the parking lot was all cleared and the sidewalk cleared but their doors were locked. I called them and got a recording that the practice was open but due to a lot of phone calls they were unable to answer the phone right now. Leave your name and number and we will get back to you. I stopped at Aldi and got milk, I was their only customer.

when I got home someone had plowed my driveway. :party:

0E8E7CC3-CE0E-4719-8FE7-D84F93E4E0A5.jpeg

DB8AAA90-740A-4FF2-8137-2A2DF1FE085C.jpeg

• Heart 3

We ended up with around 6 inches at my house, the official number for Pittsburgh is 9 point something.

Tried out the old Case tractor at snow plowing. It did pretty good, this snow was heavy and had packed down pretty solid. Need to get some weight over the rear tires, but it had plenty of power.  

• Heart 2

I hope Wilbur and Rattlecan  will say, despite their paralyzing dump in certain roads in Metro Toronto, ....still they each should have experienced something just as serious or more years back.

In our area in prairies, the frequency of heavy snow 1-2 times throughout every winter, is real. It's only January.....so far.

• Heart 1

55 minutes ago, Further said:

We ended up with around 6 inches at my house, the official number for Pittsburgh is 9 point something.

Tried out the old Case tractor at snow plowing. It did pretty good, this snow was heavy and had packed down pretty solid. Need to get some weight over the rear tires, but it had plenty of power.  

Do you have chains on the drive wheels? That will be a big help.

37 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

No way. That place is SNOW central.  

@BuffJim would have given us a better report than just a Like!

I think it was a record for snowiest January day recorded. Kinda surprising that 18 inches would be a record. We got 22-24” in our suburb. It was big time snow, but everyone just chilled and  things are mostly back to normal today. Not many power outages, so not much suffering.