Are you in better or worse physical fitness than you were 10 years ago?

2Far

In some ways I'm better and in other ways I'm not.  Even though I continue to lift weights, I'm not as strong as I was 10 years ago.  Age is a primary factor for me.  I will soon be 67.  I have lost muscle in the past ten years in spite of my best attempts to maintain it.   :(

My cycling is okay and I continue to ride hard (for me), but I am nowhere as fast as I was ten years ago.   :(

OTH, my blood pressure, cholesterol, resting heart rate, and weight are all much lower than they were ten years ago.   :)

I'm not sure about 10 years ago, but 11 years ago, I was in a caregiver role. Any time for exercise was eliminated and as for meals, I grabbed what I could get, when I could get it. I was skimping on sleep.

In late 2003 and much of 2004, I made an effort to get into shape. I started eating better and I dropped around 45 lbs. Maybe half that weight crept back, but two years ago, I made another effort to step up the fitness level and I dropped another 41 lbs. I can do things today that I couldn't have done in 2002 and 2003.

• Heart 1

The last 2 to 3 years have been bad  foot pain/pf for winter workouts and  the last 2 years have been terrible on the bike.  Diet hasn't been too bad except for too much wine  :whistle:   I need to keep my wine intake to social not solo...

I am hoping to start a change...last week the day after I did an AM workout the allergies bloomed...I tried again this morning.  Aging does make a difference...but I have a few years to go before I can blame it for my decline!!

Worse. In 2004 I did a century every month plus a couple of double centuries.

This year I've done one century and behind my normal mileage by about 500 miles.

No half marathons either, but signed up for two in the next 3 weeks. Not that I've trained much for them.

Plus I'm 10 year older.

I probably wouldn't be able to keep up with my 55 year old self but I am in better shape than most 65 year olds in spite of my chronic disease. I had some things holding me back the past year that kept me from doing all I wanted to do but I seem to be aging fairly well.  When I see all the old people at class reunions it's scary.

• Heart 3

I probably wouldn't be able to keep up with my 55 year old self but I am in better shape than most 65 year olds in spite of my chronic disease. I had some things holding me back the past year that kept me from doing all I wanted to do but I seem to be aging fairly well.  When I see all the old people at class reunions it's scary.

longjohn, dye your hair dark and you are Jack Palance. :D  Or maybe Jack LaLanne.

• Heart 2

My father went through a chubby phase like I am in now but then he got thin and then thin and frail, so I guess that is probably the road I am on.  He was sort of a precautionary figure for how you age when you don;t get enough exercise, so therefore biking and walking and some kind of light strength training are critical for me to keep up.

My father went through a chubby phase like I am in now but then he got thin and then thin and frail, so I guess that is probably the road I am on.  He was sort of a precautionary figure for how you age when you don;t get enough exercise, so therefore biking and walking and some kind of light strength training are critical for me to keep up.

Life is a real crap shoot in some ways.  My Dad smoked heavily for 55 years, was an alcoholic the last 10-15 years of his life, ate a high fat diet, never exercised at all after about 35, and still lived to 74 when he died of lung cancer.

I , OTH, have never smoked, do not drink, watch carefully what I eat (last ten years anyway), exercised somewhat religiously my whole life, and I am falling apart at 66.  I will be lucky (or unlucky as the case may be) to ever see 74.  

Definitely worse. Still working out, but much lighter poundages. And I feel every rep, as in creeeeaaaakkk... Literally. Especially the elbows; bad noises. Shoulders are super fragile now. Low back and hips are not amused. And tho I'm about the same weight, the body composition is more fatty; but I'm working on that.

I can ride pretty well, but I'm not fast. When I got my first nice bike in 1990, I thought a pretty hearty ride was about 15 miles. Now I have to do a working 25 or a fun 45 to have any self respect! I really, really like getting out on the bike for a couple/three hours. I'm just not going to go really fast.

Ya, getting old, wearing out, The Change are all kickin' me in the ass. And I hate it.  But I can still out workout and out ride many people. So my ego holds onto that to stay content.   B)

• Heart 2