Needed to go to a bank today

Square Wheels

I had money in a credit union, needed to put some in my bank so I could send to daughter's tuition bill.  Needed to be today, so couldn't wait for mail.  Took cash from credit union.  Also needed to make another trip so I found a branch near the post office.  Go to that branch, sorry, we're closed, go to this other branch that is definitely open.  Put address in car, off to that branch I go.  Got there and the security guard tells me they too are closed, but this other one is open.  Got lucky on the third try.

An hour and a half later, money was deposited.

Seems staffing is an issue everywhere.

• Heart 3
  • Sad 5
  • Hugs 1

23 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I had money in a credit union, needed to put some in my bank so I could send to daughter's tuition bill.  Needed to be today, so couldn't wait for mail.  Took cash from credit union.  Also needed to make another trip so I found a branch near the post office.  Go to that branch, sorry, we're closed, go to this other branch that is definitely open.  Put address in car, off to that branch I go.  Got there and the security guard tells me they too are closed, but this other one is open.  Got lucky on the third try.

An hour and a half later, money was deposited.

Seems staffing is an issue everywhere.

I have to make an appointment to go in and send wires when the amount is over my online limit, or the instructions are too complex to enter into online wire system, or if  I need a Fed wire number.

The branches of B of A all seem to be without tellers or inside banking.  They were referring people to one branch that is fully staffed or asking them to use the ATM.

Strange new world.  

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

I have to make an appointment to go in and send wires when the amount is over my online limit, or the instructions are too complex to enter into online wire system, or if  I need a Fed wire number.

The branches of B of A all seem to be without tellers or inside banking.  They were referring people to one branch that is fully staffed or asking them to use the ATM.

Strange new world.  

We get nailed when trying to deposit online more than $10,000 a month.  After you hit 10k, the app won't allow you to do anymore mobile deposits that month.  Have to go into the bank, or, like me, just wait until the next month.  I hate going in person to a bank :)

22 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

Strange new world.  

Wait till they are so short that they just close and keep your money.

20 minutes ago, Kirby said:

My small local branch is staffed pretty leanly even on a good day.  I can imagine one person getting sick and exposing the others would knock out the teller staff.

I can't picture the danger of working face to face with the public like that every day.  I'm very glad I retired from the Hobby Shoppe part time job before covid.

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I can't picture the danger of working face to face with the public like that every day.  I'm very glad I retired from the Hobby Shoppe part time job before covid.

I wonder, with drive thrus, how many folks actually go inside a branch anymore vs sitting in the SUV relaxing and using that cool tube thing???

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

The branch in my town closed for a bit early on in Covid, now it's gone altogether.

I get periodic e-mails from BoA about local branches closing.  One was recently demolished for the corner it is on to be redeveloped from a 2 story building to a 20+ story commercial, retail, and residential development.  The other was where I closed on a mortgage with them in 2000 - probably 20 miles away and I don't even think it had a bank, just mortgage folks.  I guess it is nice they are alerting me, but I probably would notice the one that got demolished was gone :scratchhead:

I had an unscheduled visit to the bank and found it locked. Required to use drive-through.

I  just left Target and received a text message that was suspicious of. "For your protection, we've locked access to your online account due to unusual activity on 1/18/2022. Please visit ____link___ and verify your identity to restore access to your account." 

Spending $3.50 at Target was hardly unusual activity, plus noted that the nationwide bank was sending the text on a local area code. That raised my suspicions and no way I was going to click that link. Being out, no way could check account independently online...but the bank was right across the street from Target, so I drove over. Forced to use the drive through, placed my ATM/Debit card in the container then verbally asked the teller to check my account. Everything was fine and the account was not locked.

Almost wonder if it was spoofed off the Target side. I don't use the bank ATM/Debit card there but the Target red card for 5% off, but it is linked to the bank account so they would know the name of the bank.

1 minute ago, Tizeye said:

I had an unscheduled visit to the bank and found it locked. Required to use drive-through.

I  just left Target and received a text message that was suspicious of. "For your protection, we've locked access to your online account due to unusual activity on 1/18/2022. Please visit ____link___ and verify your identity to restore access to your account." 

Spending $3.50 at Target was hardly unusual activity, plus noted that the nationwide bank was sending the text on a local area code. That raised my suspicions and no way I was going to click that link. Being out, no way could check account independently online...but the bank was right across the street from Target, so I drove over. Forced to use the drive through, placed my ATM card in the container then verbally asked the teller to check my account. Everything was fine and the account was not locked.

I bet had you clicked on the link and asked @Kirby for support writing the story, this could have been a helluva awesome adventure for us schadenfreudists!

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Also needed to make another trip so I found a branch near the post office.  Go to that branch, sorry, we're closed, go to this other branch that is definitely open.  Put address in car, off to that branch I go.  Got there and the security guard tells me they too are closed, but this other one is open.  Got lucky on the third try.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

We get nailed when trying to deposit online more than $10,000 a month.  After you hit 10k, the app won't allow you to do anymore mobile deposits that month.  Have to go into the bank, or, like me, just wait until the next month.  I hate going in person to a bank

No need to put up with this poor quality service! :angry:

TK Financial Services is open 24 hours, 365 days a year to take your money and deposit it for you!  :nodhead:

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

I haven't checked in the past 2 months if my local bank branches are available for walk-in service.

I occasionally  go in, if I coincidentally will pass by it.

I absolutely have required in-person service....especially when needed new  credit card since was within days of  its expiry. Your real physical presence with photo ID can be critical in some situations to request/ramp up service turnaround. The international  bank I deal with never  allow video conferencing with their client. Maybe they do with corporate clients.

11 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I was impressed that my bank would let me use the drive through on a bike.  Many places will not.  They cite safety concerns with bikes mixed in line with cars.

I'm amazed that a teller or a fast food person would give a shit.  Seriously.  Maybe some amped up irritable manager, but the teller?  At our bank, it is three drive up lines - one next to the building, the middle with two stations, and the outside with an ATM only.  I assume I could get away with using any or all of those on my bike - certainly the ATM, but likely all of them. Our tellers seem to do double duty - desk and window - as far as I can tell, so dealing with me through a window vs inside seems no different.

Maybe we blame "insurance" or "lawyers'?

12 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I haven’t been inside a bank branch for a year and a quarter. It’s all on-line these days. 

I had a finance program taught by a VP at a local bank that is headquarted here. Still remember his lament that ATM and online banking was the worst thing they did. People no longer came into the bank, stood in line for a teller and had the opportunity to cross sell other services presented along the line.

8 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

stood in line for a teller and had the opportunity to cross sell other services presented along the line.

Talk about perspective!

I think many of us rejoice at avoiding the upsell!  Car dealers are fighting tooth and nail to keep customers "stuck" in that sort of in-person situation.

19 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

my bank went to drive through only during the first part of Covid. Now you "can" go inside but I think they prefer clients use the drive through. I can mobile deposit up to $5k. After that I use the drive through or ATM. If I have cash (rarely) to deposit it's drive through only for moi