Amazon sux.

Wilbur

17 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

At least right now it does.  I have had three shipped items not show up lately.  They aren't even making it to the "out for delivery" stage. 

Maybe the packages will be found soon.     Kind of like these were found.    https://www.businessinsider.com/police-investigate-600-amazon-packages-dumped-in-oklahoma-city-2022-1

I gave up on Amazon.  In 2021 only one order was placed for a Christmas gift I could not find anywhere else.  

12 hours ago, Wilbur said:

At least right now it does.  I have had three shipped items not show up lately.  They aren't even making it to the "out for delivery" stage. 

I placed three orders in the past week, and two are delivered, and the third is:

Carrier received the package.
Washoe Valley, NV US

So I will see if those get here.  Not bad so far - even with the snow and holiday we just had.

14 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I had one "delayed" because of snow, but it came.

In one case, I didn't get something and couldn't find it on my order list.  I assume I forgot to push the final order button, but that would be strange.

My main complaint is that they sometimes lean the package against my storm door so that I can't open the door!

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, 12string said:

I saw that and thought @ChrisL might want to call in the Pinkertons! CA needs some muscle.

20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I saw that and thought @ChrisL might want to call in the Pinkertons! CA needs some muscle.

One of my clients was Union Pacific and they have had a theft problem for ages.  There is a grade outside of Barstow where trains crawl up it.  Thieves have been hitting rail cars along that grade for ages. I actually know that stretch of rail and it was problematic 10 years ago but not to the extent it is now.

I actually turned down a position with UP that would have paid well but was based in DT LA & required extensive travel.  Having two young ones I wasn’t about to spend that much time in the road. 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Chris... said:

I found the missing packages 

F9F7463C-C485-4E74-89B2-B59FA72B2544.jpeg

I don’t want to take this political but LA county elected a DA with very lenient track record on prosecution of lower level crimes and bail reform.  

Many, including myself feel LA is suffering the consequences due to emboldened criminals knowing they won’t spend time in jail should they get caught and may never face charges for crimes they were arrested for. 

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I don’t want to take this political but LA county elected a DA with very lenient track record on prosecution of lower level crimes and bail reform.  

Many, including myself feel LA is suffering the consequences due to emboldened criminals knowing they won’t spend time in jail should they get caught and may never face charges for crimes they were arrested for. 

has to be  a contributing factor.

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

That's not political...    That is what is happening every day.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

So we can no longer say "it fell off a truck"?  Now its gotta be "It fell off a train"????

yeah...   something like that... 

Luis Rosas, who makes about $20 an hour working for a company subcontracted by Union Pacific to salvage items from the tracks in the Los Angeles area, said thieves use bolt cutters to break the locks on the containers and load up vans or trucks with the stolen merchandise.  https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jan/14/los-angeles-cargo-theft-union-pacific

4 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

yeah...   something like that... 

Luis Rosas, who makes about $20 an hour working for a company subcontracted by Union Pacific to salvage items from the tracks in the Los Angeles area, said thieves use bolt cutters to break the locks on the containers and load up vans or trucks with the stolen merchandise.  https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jan/14/los-angeles-cargo-theft-union-pacific

None of us are saying it isn't happening, but I guess it comes down to it being easier to insure the train cares than to secure them?  I always point to @ChrisL who has the LEA type of brain, and hope he can describe the nuances of who is in charge of security and why or why not it is getting done the way it is. To some extent, decisions at the prosecutorial level come in to play, but so do other factors.  

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

None of us are saying it isn't happening, but I guess it comes down to it being easier to insure the train cares than to secure them?  I always point to @ChrisL who has the LEA type of brain, and hope he can describe the nuances of who is in charge of security and why or why not it is getting done the way it is. To some extent, decisions at the prosecutorial level come in to play, but so do other factors.  

I can only speak for UP as I worked with them but they have a police force that has both state & federal jurisdiction.  They then contract out to uniformed guard firms for protection of product in their yards but intermodal transport has always been difficult to defend against break in & theft as we are seeing now.  

Trains have a conductor(s) but nobody to guard against someone climbing on board and breaking in to a container.  That and there are numerous slow points along a rail line which is difficult to defend against and easy for thieves to climb on board.

That and the bolts are easy to defeat (they aren’t really locks but a tamper resistant device called a bolt) that are made to be easy to remove once at their destination.  Hardening the containers is possible but then adds difficulty to the process and cost. 

It seems the rail road companies are employing more security at known slow points but working rail lines is risky dangerous work so you can’t just put anyone out there.  

I have a sub specialty in distribution security and I can tell you a high percentage of theft is internal.  We had the entry & exit points locked down  but once an item is loaded into a container or truck it’s up to the manifest to be right. Security mainly ensures the truck is leaving with the right container. We can’t inspect what’s in it as it’s already sealed with a bolt.

Often times the manifest will show say 20 X Boxes but there is 25 and those additional 5 disappear somewhere along the way.  We also can’t inspect cabs of trucks so product gets out that way.  The handlers go through extensive screening so product is not going out through the DC work force. It’s on the trucks.  And DC management are mostly corrupt A holes (from my personal experience).  

• Thank You 1