classic sitcoms

bikeman564™

Probably too many to name, but to start with a few, both Newhart shows, Mary Tyler Moore and Get Smart.  Some of the I Love Lucy's are classic and touch on emotions that are universal (Lucy and the Friends of the Friendless, Lucy is jealous of Ethel and Betty Ramsey's friendship etc) but I always get annoyed when Lucy did something really stupid or tried to sneak into Ricky's show.

• Heart 2

I did see an episode of Laverne and Shirley this weekend where Laverne tries out for West Side Story and I was laughing out loud.

And In Cheese's honor, I'll mention that I'll usually watch an episode of the Partridge Family when I catch it on tv.

• Heart 2
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1

10 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Probably too many to name, but to start with a few, both Newhart shows, Mary Tyler Moore and Get Smart.  Some of the I Love Lucy's are classic and touch on emotions that are universal (Lucy and the Friends of the Friendless, Lucy is jealous of Ethel and Betty Ramsey's friendship etc) but I always get annoyed when Lucy did something really stupid or tried to sneak into Ricky's show.

Get Smart!  Love that show.  If I have 30 minutes to kill & am flipping channels & come across Gilligan’s Island I’ll watch it.  Other than that, I really don’t watch old sitcoms.  

• Heart 2

Brady Bunch, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy.  Haven't watched any of these in years. I watched Taxi Driver movie recently, oof, so much of that would not fly today in cinema or TV.  It would be wonderful to see a more inclusive society looking toward the future.  

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

If I have 30 minutes to kill & am flipping channels & come across Gilligan’s Island I’ll watch it.

Their musical Hamlet is a classic!

That and the one where they almost get off the island but then something goes wrong.  ;)

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Brady Bunch, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy.  Haven't watched any of these in years. I watched Taxi Driver movie recently, oof, so much of that would not fly today in cinema or TV.  It would be wonderful to see a more inclusive society looking toward the future.  

which is why I'm happy these shows are still aired...well except Dukes of Hazzard :(  I liked that show.

I cheated and looked up a list to help my memory.  My true favorites are, in rough order:

Last of the Summer Wine (BBC)

The Big Bang Theory

Two and Half Men

Doc Martin (BBC)

Seinfeld

MASH

Andy Griffith

Jackie Gleason/Honeymooners

The Vicar of Dibley (BBC)

I Love Lucy

That 70's Show

Modern Family

Friends

Scrubs

Everybody Loves Raymond

George Burns and Gracie Allen

Night Court

Sanford and Son

Blackadder (BBC)

Get Smart

All in the Family

Cheers

1 minute ago, MickinMD said:

My true favorites are, in rough order:

So, you turn on the TV and all these shows are on simultaneously on different channels.  You would really choose to watch a random episode of Last of the Summer Wine before any of those others?  Or is this a more historic list, where at the time, Last of the Summer Wine was great and you hold it dear to your heart now, but would actually watch an episode of TBBT instead?

In a different sense, though, I think, for me, I would rather watch a full season of Black Adder, than a full season of Modern Family, even though, on a random episode level, MF would likely beat out BA.

• 2 years later...
On 1/19/2022 at 11:56 AM, Razors Edge said:

Is Green Acres a sitcom???  I liked the Andy Griffith show, but even that was maybe just barely a sitcom.

It is almost a vaudevlle show. :D I can picture Oliver and Lisa as Abbot and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, or George and Gracie,

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

All in the Family and Mash, I feel are the start of modern comedy shows, where there is a message not just entertainment.

And I like them both, but I don't know if I have any favorites, I like all the old comedies, although Golden Girls is pushing my limits. 

• Like 1

I respect Lucille Ball for her trail blazing for women in Hollywood, especially on the business side.  In most I Love Lucy's and The Lucy Show, I can't get help but think, 'Your too old to be that stupid' and I can't suspend reality to enjoy the show.

On 1/19/2022 at 10:44 AM, Kirby said:

Lucy was a horrible spouse.  Poor Ricky, nailed him a big fancy dragon-voiced shrieking redhead, and thought he was ever gonna get an ounce of peace the rest of his life.

Big sad for Ricky.