What kind of maniac invented pot pie?

Randomguy

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Wrong.

It is all about the crust. 

This. I buy Marie Callender chicken pot pies and they are delicious. Crust all around. There is a restaurant kinda near me (5 miles away) that makes their own. So good. They also sell them frozen to bake at home.

• Heart 4

12 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It is all about the crust. 

9 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

This. I buy Marie Callender chicken pot pies and they are delicious. Crust all around. There is a restaurant kinda near me (5 miles away) that makes their own. So good. They also sell them frozen to bake at home.

Yes, I like it also, I just don't think I would go to the extra trouble of making a crust unless I was also making a pie, which I never have before.  

• Heart 1

Pies are said to have originated in the Neolithic Age around 9500 B.C. by discoveries made by archaeologists.[4] The Greeks cooked meats mixed with other ingredients in open pastry shells, and these were called artocreas and were then spread to the Romans. In the times of the Roman Empire, these pastries were served at banquets and were prepared with various meats, oysters, mussels, lampreys, and fish and included a crust made of a flour and oil mixture. The royalty nicknamed them "coffins". Pies spread across medieval Europe during the Crusades. In the 16th century, the English gentry revived the custom of serving pies and the tradition soon swept the country. A British food commenter once described them as, "which they bake in pasties, and this venison pasty is a dainty rarely found in any other kingdom."[5] The meat pies made by the English of that era (called pot pies in North America) would include various meats such as pork, lamb, birds and game. During the reign of Elizabeth I, English cooks made pies using “chicken peepers,” which consisted of chicks stuffed with gooseberries. The obsession with pies spread to the New World soon after it spread across Europe when the first American settlers took their pie recipes with them when they moved westward.[6]

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Yes, I like it also, I just don't think I would go to the extra trouble of making a crust unless I was also making a pie, which I never have before.  

It is super easy if you have a food processor.  You want the fat very cold.  I freeze the pats of butter and fat.  The butter stays in smaller chunks.  That is what makes it flaky.  Don't overwork it.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

...the reason you make it with a light, fluffy, delicious crust,  is for when you eat it a couple of hours after you ate the pot brownies you made at the same time.  

37 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I am having a Trader Joe's chicken pot pie right now, and it is pretty tasty.  Still, though, it seems odd and full of extra steps when you could just make stew instead of crusts and such.

Discus.

...here is how the process works at my house:

1. I make a chicken or turkey stew from the leftovers from the roast fowl meal we ate on Sunday. I do this on Monday, and we eat it as stew, with a good bread.

2. On Tuesday, I make a deep dish meat pie out of the stew leftovers. I make it with a whole wheat pie crust recipe.

3. By Wednesday or Thursday, this pie is also gone.

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

This seems like a decent idea.

Where do dumplings fit into this discussion?

Biscuits are typically baking soda while dumplings are typically baking powder.   I have been known to float dumplings on top of stew then finish them under the broiler.  :)  It's all good, experiment, have fun. 

• Heart 4

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Biscuits are typically baking soda while dumplings are typically baking powder.   I have been known to float dumplings on top of stew then finish them under the broiler.  :)  It's all good, experiment, have fun. 

I like chicken dumpling soup

• Heart 2

13 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I have never had a food processor, not yet.

Yes you do. There’s one at the end of each arm. That’s what I use to make pastry dough. Bits of fat covered in flour bound together with a cold liquid. I smoosh the butter and lard bits together to get small bits covered in flour. Add ice water to bring it all together. Chill and roll your dough before filling and baking. Check you local library for Art of the Pie by Kate McDermott. She writes well and is a great way to learn piechiatry. She is celiac and has a lot of information on gluten free crusts. She has a website with recipes and lessons artofthepie.com

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Easier than making a crust. 

Maybe. It’s about the same. 
I follow @Page Turner’s line of cooking. Made a beef and stout stew that was supposed to become a shepherds pie with mashed potatoes the next day, but my guests ate all the stew. They were hungry for comfort food.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

We often make the pot pie filling and then bake up a few biscuits to throw on top.

My wife makes a mean chicken pot pie.  She buys a rotisserie chicken and uses that along with all the veggies and stuff.

I want her to try using mashed potatoes on top instead of crust.

• Heart 1

crust tip: only cut in half the shortening at a time.  It's hard to work frozen shortening, but you can chill the mix after cutting it in, before adding water.  That's all useless if you let the crust come to room temperature before baking.

For a more moist steak & kidney, substitute a bladder for the kidney

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

The origins of food are very interesting.  Like, who made the first loaf of bread?  Who had rotten rotten food that had fermented and they thought "This seems tasty."  Who ate the first tomato from a plant where the leaves are toxic?    

Umviry3appSMeVqLclh6NlNTLrfs_JAsJ_0yc_SbWg0.jpg?auto=webp&s=884367a03d5cf7148cd3bd7621a5c81f4d4e8e93

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

6 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I am having a Trader Joe's chicken pot pie right now, and it is pretty tasty.  Still, though, it seems odd and full of extra steps when you could just make stew instead of crusts and such.

Discus.

I like a couple of Marie Callenders Chicken Pot Pies in the 1 lb size that have good crusts and are juicy.  I don't like pot pies that are dry because the crust is too dry to chew without a little sauce.

• Heart 2