I want to order a trail cam

Airehead

If you're looking at humans as part of the problem, they may see the trail cam in operation when the flash goes off.  Our critters see it and they hear the very small click that the camera emits when it takes a picture.  Many of our pictures have the animals looking right at the camera.

Personally I'm disappointed that the industry is moving toward an almost universal use of "low glow" led's for the flash units in most trail cams.  Those cams are usually contain an i in the name, such as M50i.  My Moultrie that finally died after several years of use was not a "low glow" unit and it took the best night time stills.  The Gardepro cams that I use now are low glow and do a great job on video but the stills are less sharp.

Moultrie makes a new camera, the M42, that is due to go on sale at the end of January that has good specs.  It's twin the M42I is the low glow equivalent.

The camera I'm using right now is a Guardepro E5S that can be purchased on Amazon.  It's not bad for the price.  I'm just ultra picky.

• Heart 1

I have a Wildgame Innovations model I4 that I haven't used in some time.  It looks similar this:

wildgame2.jpg.07d7a22a04d19966ee532694cb7eff36.jpg

If you want to PM me your address I'll send it to you.  You'll need some C batteries (I think you can still get them), and an SD card.  At our last house I used it to take pictures of some of the local wildlife:

wildlife.jpg.c1dd1056891b85ec99777c73a5ce533e.jpg

I think it's a low glow like Maxx described, because the daylight pictures are pretty good but the night pictures can get blurry.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I have a Meidase P60 Trail Camera. It does both photos and video at the same time. It takes 8 AA batteries but battery life isn't all that good. If the batteries get low, first stops taking video at night then during the day. To fix that issue, I have it plugged in.  Here's 5 raccoons in our back yard. 

5 raccoons.JPG

• Heart 2

Anyone using a trail cam that takes AA batteries is best served by using Energizer Lithium batteries.  They seem to be the only batteries that survive the heavy usage that the camera places on the power supply.  We get between 3 and 4 hundred stills a night or 1 to 2 hundred videos and the batteries last about 2 to 4 months.

The raccoon pics above are pretty good and point to one thing about a trail cam.  They take better night pics when the weather is warmer.  When everything gets cold in the winter the resolution of an infra red camera is degraded.  One should probably expect this.

• Heart 1