A question for you insanos that choose to attempt to exist in the frozen wasteland up north.

jsharr
Go to solution Solved by Ralphie,

41 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

Sir, my Resistols do a fine job of keeping the sun off my face and neck and oversized ears.
Well ventilated straw for warm weather

10X Mesa | Resistol

And yes I switch to felt when it gets cold

image_1a993a86-f9b7-428f-93ab-9d0cc9815715_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1589844248

Nice!  Unless they have earflaps, cowboy hats don't cut it in the real cold.  ps: 20 ain't cold. 

I have a Rand's 100X hat I wear at the summer home and it is ideal for everything but winter.   A wool Tilley hat with earflaps is great for city wear but in cold temperatures, say - 30 and below, you need fur.  

25 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Nice!  Unless they have earflaps, cowboy hats don't cut it in the real cold.  ps: 20 ain't cold. 

I have a Rand's 100X hat I wear at the summer home and it is ideal for everything but winter.   A wool Tilley hat with earflaps is great for city wear but in cold temperatures, say - 30 and below, you need fur.  

100x is outta this cowboys price range.  I wear an 8 or 10x in felt and and 10x-20x in straw.  Also have a cheap beater straw hat.  

Your band probably cost more than my hat.

2 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

100x is outta this cowboys price range.  I wear an 8 or 10x in felt and and 10x-20x in straw.  Also have a cheap beater straw hat.  

Your band probably cost more than my hat.

When your fortune is made off stock options, do yourself a favour and buy a once in a lifetime 100X.  You won't regret it.  Get one in natural colour so you don't get bleaching effects.  I will make you a nice band! 

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

When your fortune is made off stock options, do yourself a favour and buy a once in a lifetime 100X.  You won't regret it.  Get one in natural colour so you don't get bleaching effects.  I will make you a nice band! 

https://stetson.com/products/diamante-premier-cowboy-silverbelly

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, jsharrwick said:

How do you keep your ears from cracking and falling off when you walk outside when it is in the 20s?

I've often wished my grandparents had moved to California like some of their siblings.

A first-cousin of my mother's from California died in the 00's and he was going to be buried in Arlington National Cemetery. I had met him once when he stayed with us for a couple days during an East Coast visit. Those of us relatives living in Maryland and Virginia arranged to prepare and bring a lot of food and drink for a post-funeral reception in a meeting hall - we got its use donated for free - at the Arlington hotel where about 25 California relatives were staying.

They were amazed we went to the trouble.  Some of those 3rd and 4th cousins said they'd help me get settled if I moved out to the L.A. area.  Of course, with close family and friends in the Mid-Atlantic area, I eventually stay around.

We usually don't have awful winters in Central Maryland, so it wasn't like I would be moving from the Arctic.

2 hours ago, petitepedal said:

Above Zero or below Zero. :dontknow:

If it is cold..I bring a hat

Dang, I forgot my hat and my hair will be damp after my workout...oh well such is life..the car will eventually warm up on the drive home.

He's from Texas so they don't know that below zero is actually a temperature.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Well you have a valid medical reason.  Most Northerners just aren’t accustomed to heat like us down south aren’t accustomed to the cold. 

It is pretty common to get to 110 at my summer place.  I find it comfortable.  I find 100 uncomfortable here in the Great Lakes but because of humidity rather than temperature. 

• Heart 2

18 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Well you have a valid medical reason.  Most Northerners just aren’t accustomed to heat like us down south aren’t accustomed to the cold. 

Yup.  As I mentioned before, everyone is different.  People from AZ might not enjoy 40F and can tolerate higher temps.  It's a personal tolerance.

• Heart 1