Are You One Of THEM?

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by Dirtyhip,

We watch an assortment of House Hunters, HH International, and similar home shopping shows.

WTF is up with the people who, when asked for their big "wishes" or deal breakers in a new home, is a double sink in the master bathroom????

I get the women or the families with little kids who want a bathtub, but double sinks???  Is this some weird bougie thing?  We have double sinks and I always think "what a waste" when I see them.  Anyway, that's just my thought, and I can't seem to understand why it would be on anyone's home buying radar.  I can think of dozens higher priority items.

33 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

We watch an assortment of House Hunters, HH International, and similar home shopping shows.

WTF is up with the people who, when asked for their big "wishes" or deal breakers in a new home, is a double sink in the master bathroom????

I get the women or the families with little kids who want a bathtub, but double sinks???  Is this some weird bougie thing?  We have double sinks and I always think "what a waste" when I see them.  Anyway, that's just my thought, and I can't seem to understand why it would be on anyone's home buying radar.  I can think of dozens higher priority items.

I hate double sinks in kitchens even more.  But yeah, they do seem a trifle unnecessary.

I am upset that you think only women and little kids want or use a bathtub; you are a monster!

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

5 minutes ago, 12string said:

I wouldn't reject a house because there were 2 sinks in the bathroom.  There's times it would even be helpful

A pot filler in the kitchen is a must.  And I tried, but couldn't get a 2nd sink in the kitchen.  Would have been a huge help

Ah, but if a home had a pot filler in the kitchen, a great second sink in the kitchen too, BUT no double sink in the master bathroom - would you nix the house?

• Solution

We have a single sink in our master primary bathroom.  They drew it for a double and we crossed it out to one.  Less to clean and less construction materials.  We work well together so it is fine.  There is a second bath if we need it.  Our system works very well.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

We have a single sink in our master primary bathroom.  They drew it for a double and we crossed it out to one.  Less to clean and less construction materials.  We work well together so it is fine.  There is a second bath if we need it.  Our system works very well.

The correct response by a MILE!

• Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

A proper master suite has a dressing room between separate walk-in closets, a self contained toilet and bidet, a separate steam shower and separate bath.  That and a lounger or two to watch telly and you can completely get away from kids or houseguests. 

Who here is proper?😁

We have a single sink on a 5’ counter.  We have room for double sinks but my wife would lose counter space.  She has about 3’ on one side of the sink (it’s not centered) and I have about a one foot on the other side. 

We are doing bathrooms next and are undecided if we want single or double sinks but we haven’t had any issues sharing the sink the past 25 years. 

• Awesome 1

My biggest frustration is listing to clients factor in the current owner's ratty furniture, or other personal belonging such as pictures on wall, in their decision process. ou know, they are going to take that with them when sell the home and move out. Then I bite my tongue and DON'T SAY..."Then you can bring your own ratty furniture in."

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

We have a single sink on a 5’ counter.  We have room for double sinks but my wife would lose counter space.  She has about 3’ on one side of the sink (it’s not centered) and I have about a one foot on the other side. 

We are doing bathrooms next and are undecided if we want single or double sinks but we haven’t had any issues sharing the sink the past 25 years. 

It does give a ton of space on the counter without the second sink if you don't have a huge bathroom counter.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

A pot filler would have been nice, but the cost was a bit much.  The sink is about one step away from the stove.  We didn't see the need.  

We love our simple and cozy home.

Sink and stove should be 6 feet apart in the first place, and a pot filler not only gives you an extra faucet, but fills things about 10x faster

• Heart 1

He has a degree in Greco Roman Architecture and works for a local non profit for plants rights.  She has a degree in intrepretive dance and works part time as a go go barista.  This will be their first house  Their wants include 5 bedrooms, 6 baths, a yoga shala, an office for him, a she shed and a pool with a lazy river and room for their herd of free range fainting goats.

• Haha 3

The house we sold 3 years ago was built in the late 70s,  THE bathroom had a double sink in one counter top.   Everything was a shade of green too. :(   There was a 1/2 bath in the house too.  Several years before we sold the home, we gutted the bathroom, and replaced everything.  The double sink was replaced with a single sink.  Changing all of the plumbing was fun...  Carrying that countertop out of the home to the road for the garbage..  OMG did that thing weigh a LOT.   The garbage guy was happy when I told him we were done with the remodeling work. 

Our new home does have a master bathroom.   There are two vanities each with a sink, on both sides of the corner bathtub.  So it's not a double sink... they are separate.

Then again...  I guess we are back to being 'One of THEM' again.  

14 minutes ago, 12string said:

Sink and stove should be 6 feet apart in the first place, and a pot filler not only gives you an extra faucet, but fills things about 10x faster

It's an L counter.  Maybe it is that far, but it seems like one step for me to move from one to the other.   Maybe it is a big step.  :D

Why 6 feet?  

... and we do perfectly fine without a pot filler at the stove. 

9 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

It's an L counter.  Maybe it is that far, but it seems like one step for me to move from one to the other.   Maybe it is a big step.  :D

Why 6 feet?  

... and we do perfectly fine without a pot filler at the stove. 

just a rule of thumb, keep major appliances 6 feet apart.  Keeps the flow going, especially with more than one person working at a time.  We managed to move things to that spacing when we re-did the kitchen, the difference is really noticeable.

9 minutes ago, 12string said:

just a rule of thumb, keep major appliances 6 feet apart.  Keeps the flow going, especially with more than one person working at a time.  We managed to move things to that spacing when we re-did the kitchen, the difference is really noticeable.

Ah.  I am not sure it is 6 feet away.  It's fine.  It's just the two of us.  Our home is very modest and on the small side.  Not a micro home, but smallish.  :D

2 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Then I bite my tongue and DON'T SAY..."Then you can bring your own ratty furniture

Oh I always talked to the television. Even though I didn’t watch it I couldn’t help but hear their stupid comments and I would talk right back to them. When Joe Namath was trying to peddle his stinking Medicare disadvantage plan and I would always disagree with him. My wife got to where if she saw Joe she hit the mute button.

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

In the kitchen, I used to have a double sink in my pre-fire house and thought it was a waste when I needed more room to work with something big I was cleaning on one side. I chose the big single sink below in the rebuild.  Some one said that whenever I decide to sell the house, young mothers will love that because they can wash their babies in it.  For me, I just love having plenty of room.

So I don't know about a double sink use in the bathroom.  I guess there are valid uses for it but they're outside my experience - especially since the bathrooms in the houses I've owned haven't had have much room for more than one small sink.

I really love this one in my kitchen that is 33" long and the faucet extends about a foot with a built-in hose that can be set to a wide spray if desired - great for cleaning things like cutting boards.

20210713_150021_impr_900p.thumb.jpg.8b18a798e7403c8327c4788ec5c9b5a3.jpg

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

So I don't know about a double sink use in the bathroom.  I guess there are valid uses for it but they're outside my experience - especially since the bathrooms in the houses I've owned haven't had have much room for more than one small sink.

I take photos of a lot of houses for Realtors. It is not really a double sink in the bathroom like the double sink in the kitchen. It is two separate single sinks set apart, side by side if the vanity is 60" or longer, or more challenging photographically, two separate vanities. While I, or the Realtor, clear them so not cluttered on the photo, invariably, it reflects more personal space than simultaneous usage. All the guy's shaving, toothbrush, soapdish, etc is at one, and the ladies toothbrush, makeup, perfume, jewelry, and perhaps a small round vanity mirror and lighting around the other sink. Where  other homes with the single vanity, they are combined together and perhaps less with limited space to spread out.

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

In the kitchen, I used to have a double sink in my pre-fire house and thought it was a waste when I needed more room to work with something big I was cleaning on one side. I chose the big single sink below in the rebuild.  Some one said that whenever I decide to sell the house, young mothers will love that because they can wash their babies in it.  For me, I just love having plenty of room.

I really love this one in my kitchen that is 33" long and the faucet extends about a foot with a built-in hose that can be set to a wide spray if desired - great for cleaning things like cutting boards.

20210713_150021_impr_900p.thumb.jpg.8b18a798e7403c8327c4788ec5c9b5a3.jpg

Mick, I do love that counter color you chose.  It is so similar to the one I picked.  Yours has a bit more gray, and mine is closer to a marble

@12string, I way underestimated.  It is about three normal steps from sink to oven.  The area is tight though.  Not the best kitchen for multiple people to work in there.  More than two would be very tight.  

29 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

and the ladies toothbrush, makeup, perfume, jewelry,  limited space to spread out.

Some ladies have complicated needs.   I don't own these things much at all.  I do have some jewelry of which sits in a jewelry box and is never worn.  No makeup.  No perfume.  I have some essential oil blends and that is as close to perfume as it gets around here.