Have you ever been involved in a kneecapping incident?

donkpow

Nope.  The closest I've ever come was a head cracking.

I did receive instructions once though on how to do it.  My office was visiting Guantanamo Bay for a shakedown cruise and I had to go on the trip instead of staying in Norfolk.  While there E6 petty officers had to work with the local shore patrol.  They gave us a lesson in the quality use of the night stick when entering a hostile crowd in a bar.  Guantanamo, it seems, was notorious for some really dangerous bar fights as there is little else to do there besides baseball and beer.  

Then having given that lesson the made us wait with the truck while the regulars went in.

• Haha 1

Kneecapping

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search

Kneecapping is a form of malicious wounding, often as torture, in which the victim is injured in the knee. The injury is typically inflicted by a low-velocity gunshot to the knee pit with a handgun. The term is considered a misnomer by medical professionals because only a very small minority of victims suffer damage to the kneecap. A review of eighty kneecapping victims found that only two had a fractured kneecap. Some victims have their elbows and ankles shot as well.[1]

Treatment[edit]

220px-Knee_injury_from_punishment_attack

Knee injury caused by a punishment shooting

The severity of the injury can vary from simple soft tissue damage to a knee joint fracture with neurovascular damage. The latter requires several weeks in hospital and intensive outpatient physiotherapy for recovery.[1] If the damage is too great, amputation may be necessary,[2] but this rarely occurs. In Northern Ireland thirteen people had their legs amputated as a consequence of limb punishment shootings over the duration of the Troubles.[3] In the long term it is estimated that one out of five victims will walk with a limp for the rest of their lives.[4]

History[edit]

During the Troubles in Northern Ireland, paramilitaries considered themselves to be law enforcers in their own areas. They used limb punishment shootings to punish drug pushers and child molesters. If the crime was considered to be grave, the victim was also shot in the ankles and elbows, leaving them with six gunshot wounds (colloquially known as a six pack).[5] Approximately 2,500 people were victims of these punishment shootings through the duration of the conflict. Those who were attacked carried a social stigma with them.[6]

The Red Brigades, an Italian militant organization, employed these punishment shootings to warn their opponents. They used the method to punish at least 75 people up to December 1978.[7][8]

The Bangladesh Police have started kneecapping in the country since 2009 to punish the opposition and preventing them from participating in protests against the government. Human Rights Watch (HRW) has published a report on kneecapping in Bangladesh.[9]

Use as metaphor[edit]

50px-Question_book-new.svg.png
This section does not cite any sources. Please help improve this section by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (December 2021) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)

As a metaphor "kneecapping" suggests being limited by external imposition in a way that prevents full freedom of movement or utilization of resources.

59 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Nope.  The closest I've ever come was a head cracking.

I did receive instructions once though on how to do it.  My office was visiting Guantanamo Bay for a shakedown cruise and I had to go on the trip instead of staying in Norfolk.  While there E6 petty officers had to work with the local shore patrol.  They gave us a lesson in the quality use of the night stick when entering a hostile crowd in a bar.  Guantanamo, it seems, was notorious for some really dangerous bar fights as there is little else to do there besides baseball and beer.  

Then having given that lesson the made us wait with the truck while the regulars went in.

Yeah bar fights where a hoot…  Cleared quiet a few back in the day.  We never struck the knees with a baton but I had to take a guy down a few times with a boot to the knee.  

I once snapped a guys leg in half at the knee. Seriously!  Except it was a prosthetic leg…😂.  Crook wouldn’t prone out during a felony stop so I proned him out with a foot to the back of his knee.  Whoops…

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah bar fights where a hoot…  Cleared quiet a few back in the day.  We never struck the knees with a baton but I had to take a guy down a few times with a boot to the knee.  

I once snapped a guys leg in half at the knee. Seriously!  Except it was a prosthetic leg…😂.  Crook wouldn’t prone out during a felony stop so I proned him out with a foot to the back of his knee.  Whoops…

Guantanamo was rough.  The locals went through the door 5 at a time, spreading out quickly into a V while staying low and when necessary using the night sticks low.  The front of the V used the sticks like a spear while the back two guys watched out for them.  They were the one's likely to hit someone in the knee.   These were Navy shore patrol.  

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Too bad we never met at a bar in those days. No one ever took me out. I’d have relished the challenge.  😉 

• Hugs 1

18 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Guantanamo was rough.  The locals went through the door 5 at a time, spreading out quickly into a V while staying low and when necessary using the night sticks low.  The front of the V used the sticks like a spear while the back two guys watched out for them.  They were the one's likely to hit someone in the knee.   These were Navy shore patrol.  

We used to open the doors and hit the lights on & off with a dispersal order. Anyone who didn’t leave was subject to a beat down & arrest.  The fuckers used to wait for us and barrage us with beer bottles when we hit the doors.  

Simikar V formation and we basically pushed everyone out the doors. Anyone wanting to fight us got a beat down.  

One time I popped this dude on the top of the head with the back of my baton & he dropped.  The next thing I know I’m feeling this intense pain in my calf!?!? The dude has my leg line a drumstick and is biting me!!!  I shouldn’t confess to what happened next but I will tell you he ended up in the hospital….

We also had a really feisty LT (02) and he was the OIC one night. I’m outside with the NCOIC waiting for more units and he says, what are you waiting for let’s gooooi!!!! Baton in the air in the charge position.  Me & the NCOIC look at each other with the oh fuck look and he says ChrisL, go get his dumb ass outta there!  Roger that!

I hit the doors and the LT is just brawling with 3 dudes & getting worked.  I pop one of the guys and grab the LT & yank him out of there.  The LT was just raging itching to get back in there… Easy LT, we got this…

8 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Too bad we never met at a bar in those days. No one ever took me out. I’d have relished the challenge.  😉 

The Ft Myer  E club was a mess back then.  The NCO club was more chill.  I don’t remember many Air Force guys on base back then 

Just now, ChrisL said:

The Ft Myer  E club was a mess back then.  The NCO club was more chill.  I don’t remember many Air Force guys on base back then 

I was either at the Bolling NCO club, the Navy Club or downtown at a local boot scootin’ club in those days. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I sometimes truly wonder how I’m not dead.  I was reckless in many ways and had a huge chip. 

God watches out for children and fools, I suppose. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Zealot said:

I was either at the Bolling NCO club, the Navy Club or downtown at a local boot scootin’ club in those days. 

MP’s all knew better not to frequent on base clubs, the mess hall or even the PX off duty.  Ft Myer was a small bass & better not to use on base services.   We went to Ft Belvoir’s  PX and  off base bars & clubs in G Town or Alexandria.  

I don’t remember where this was but there was a Coast Guard Station nearby and we hit their club once.  One of our buds got into it with a Coastie and a huge brawl ensued.  I was the DD that night so had to corral the guys up & beat feet out of there.  The three dudes I was with had collected a couple of coast SP batons, hats & one badge! 😂. I had to Ram the gates as they tried to block us in!  Never got caught but we never went back either! 

• Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

MP’s all knew better not to frequent on base clubs, the mess hall or even the PX off duty.  Ft Myer was a small bass & better not to use on base services.   We went to Ft Belvoir’s  PX and  off base bars & clubs in G Town or Alexandria.  

I don’t remember where this was but there was a Coast Guard Station nearby and we hit their club once.  One of our buds got into it with a Coastie and a huge brawl ensued.  I was the DD that night so had to corral the guys up & beat feet out of there.  The three dudes I was with had collected a couple of coast SP batons, hats & one badge! 😂. I had to Ram the gates as they tried to block us in!  Never got caught but we never went back either! 

That’s awesome!!! 😂. Memories!!

still picturing this, @ChrisL!  I can see you guys running the gate!!  Savage!!  

5 minutes ago, Zealot said:

That’s awesome!!! 😂. Memories!!

Silly Coasties didn’t issue their SP’s weapons!?!? Nor self defense training 😂  .  As I recall they were wearing Class A’s with a belt & suicide strap with a baton & radio. We never worked patrol in A’s, either BDU’s or Class B’s on special occasions.  You can’t move in a Class A jacket. 

Yeah that was quiet the night! 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Silly Coasties didn’t issue their SP’s weapons!?!? Nor self defense training 😂  .  As I recall they were wearing Class A’s with a belt & suicide strap with a baton & radio. We never worked patrol in A’s, either BDU’s or Class B’s on special occasions.  You can’t move in a Class A jacket. 

Yeah that was quiet the night! 

This is what I’m picturing:

• Haha 1