When Was The Last Time?

Razors Edge

For me:

You were mugged? Never, but my cousin was back in the early 1990's.

Your house was burglarized? Never, but a roommate in college stole some checks from the back of my checkbook and my fake Rolex :(

Your car was stolen? Never, but my sister's Mustang was stolen in 1990 when she left it outside running to warm up the interior.

You were shot or stabbed?  Never.

You knew someone who was murdered?  Never, but the stories (accident? suicide? murder?) of my grandfather's death in the early 70s is suspicious!

22 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You were mugged? someone tried to back in the 90's, they did not succeed 

Your house was burglarized? Friends house, and they stole the equipment we used around the farms in the late 90's

Your car was stolen? not yet. 

You were shot or stabbed? surprised I have not been yet.. I have upset the wife a lot lately.

You knew someone who was murdered? no one I knew, but know people that knew someone

Answers above in red

Never been mugged or know anyone who has

my next door neighbors house was broken into and he was shot when he tried to stop them. 

my Dads car was stolen. Joy riders trashed it

never been shot or stabbed

my friends brother moved to Norway and was murdered 

Car stolen about 7 years ago. Worse was my bike and wallet were in the car. Got everything back a few days later except for the cash in my wallet. I had left the keys in my jacket while working out at the YMCA.

I thought that I was being mugged once. It was payday and I had a lot of money on me. Walking into the barracks someone jumped out of the dark. I threw one well connected punch knocking out my friend Tom who was just goofing around.

A kid I grew up near was shot and killed during a drug deal gone wrong. This was a few years after I moved out of the area. 

In 1976 a thief broke into my house and stole half of my rather extensive record collection and nothing more. I'm about 80% sure of who did it but couldn't prove it.

Shot at but not hit. Never stabbed.

Can't really identify with any, but mugged came close. Was at a BnB in Key West, next to lighthouse and across street from Hemingway's home. Coffee wasn't available in the BnB until about 7AM so at 6:30 or so walked two blocks to a Circle K to get wife first cup of coffee. Returning with a cup of coffee in both hands and turning the first corner, sensed someone behind me. Crossed mid-block to other side of the street and as I was about to reach the next corner, looked back across the street. Saw the person who was coming up behind me as he was reaching his friend standing on that corner and they were just staring back at me. If I hadn't crossed mid-block, I would have been walking into their trap. Quickly proceeded into the BnB.

You were mugged?   Never been mugged.

Your house was burglarized?   Not my house, but my MIL's was. I had to do some repairs to doors and replace locks.

Your car was stolen?   Someone tried to steal my VW once, but couldn't get it started. 

You were shot or stabbed?   I did have a knife pulled on me out a bar once. He was drunk. I got one little scratch on my hand when I took it away from him and kneed him in the tender vittles.

You knew someone who was murdered?   I've known a couple of people who were, as well as one former coworker who shot his ex-wife and her new boyfriend, then committed suicide by cop.

Trailer park punks stole my wife’s motorcycle while we were on vacation back in the 80s. We never got it back. A homeless young man who we took in tried to steal my 35mm SLR camera. He had been stealing from other people and the cops came and took him to jail. We never saw him again, a couple months later I found my camera hidden in the attic of our garage.

My answers were never until I got to anyone I know murdered. There are a couple on that list.

One was an 18 year old girl that used to babysit our son when he was little. Her mother and my first wife were best friends. I will never forget the day, (it was mothers day of all things) when I answered the phone to hear the girl's mother crying and wailing on the other end.

She was a volunteer at some sort of halfway house, and she was killed by one of the inmates.

The perp was convicted and sentenced to something like 14 years, but a retrial found him not guilty. She was murdered 30 years ago this May.

The other was a former co worker of mine that shot and killed his wife. I also knew her, but wasn't close.

I heard about it on a radio news report when I was in my truck heading out on a haul. It took a few seconds to register, because they used his first, middle and last name  and I had never heard his middle name, but when they gave his wife's name, it immediately sunk in and I went cold.

I had to stop the truck and get out, I was so overwhelmed. Couldn't believe how it affected me. That was over 40 years ago.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

You were mugged?

Your house was burglarized?

Your car was stolen?

You were shot or stabbed?

You knew someone who was murdered?

Mugged, never but I prevented myself from getting mugged once by coming after the mugger.

House/garage never, car broken into once.

Once in the early 90’s, I recovered it myself.  A story in of itself…

1980’s, shot at a couple of times with hostile intent. They missed.  Never stabbed but clubbed once, several fights/struggles, bitten, had bottles thrown at me.  All on duty though, not as a private citizen. 

My nephew was murdered about 20 years ago. 

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

You were mugged?

Your car was stolen?

Fortunately, I've reached age 71 managing to avoid all 5 miseries - almost.

The exception was someone stole a lawnmower from my yard around 2006.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

My home was robbed in 2019 and that made us look elsewhere for housing.  The upscale neighborhood was turning to trash, so we moved to a place that was a lot more secure and somewhat off the beaten path.   We feel far safer here and people don't have many problems up here.  

Sorry but I’m going to be that guy….  Only people can get robbed.  Your house was burglarized.  

OK I’ll STFU now! 😁

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

You were mugged?

Your car was stolen?

1981 at Six Flags

1973 my parents home in Edmond 

2016 my truck was stolen out of my driveway

2021 I stabbed myself

My uncle was murdered in 1990

@ChrisL  I remember that night.  It was a series of unfortunate events.  Our water heater went out.  It was a worknight.  Our old home had a detached garage that was way at the back and faced an alley.  HoDH was running back and forth grabbing tools and trying to fix it, as he had an early shift.  He got it repaired but the last time he came in, he forgot to latch the back door.  Someone just opened the door, and came in while we were sleeping.  We only lost a laptop, a gas can, and our laundry detergent.  I think it was a grab and run and they left on foot.   The next morning the back door was open.  I didn't notice any cold drafts, as it was summertime.  

Criminals must be walking the area on the regular and trying doors.  I have been reading about more and more crime right in that zone.  Maybe they think people have lots of things.  We were neurotic about locking everything down after that and it was stressful.  Our here, it is so much better.  We do lock our doors, BTW.

We also got our window broken at a trailhead.  They stole my keys, and opened the glovebox.  This was 2019 as well.  They were almost caught in the act by another rider and fled quickly.

:(

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

You were mugged?

Your car was stolen?

BuffCarla has 3 murdered cousins/extended family since we were married. One was a very close cousin who died during a fight with her boyfriend. Charges weren’t filed. She may have had a heart attack, but there is extensive hair pulling damage. 
One was a cousin’s son gunned down in drug activities. No one ever charged. The other was a different cousin’s son murdered after a wrestling match with a drunken friend turned angry. That guy went to prison. 

Ive had very little experience as a victim. Swindled out of a couple hundred dollars by a Chicago con man when I was around 19. Punched in the head at a party a few years ago. No charges in either one. 

• Sad 1

I had my car stolen twice, about 1993 and a different car in 1996. First time it was used for urban four wheeling and abandoned, the second it was taken to a hotel parking lot to have it’s radio removed. I got a call from a neighboring township police department who asked if I knew where my car was. I replied “no, but I assume you do”. They did.

My great Uncle was murdered in NYC, I never knew him.