For The First Time In US History

Razors Edge

...both the Secretary of the Interior and the head of the National Park Service are of Native American heritage.  

Last week, Charles F. “Chuck” Sams III was ceremonially sworn in as head of the NPS by Secretary of the Interior Deb Haaland. He became the first Native American to hold that position.

A native of Oregon, Sams brings 25 years of experience in tribal administration and natural resource management to the role. He is a citizen of the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation, serving as the deputy executive director. His resume includes tenures at several nonprofit organizations focusing on conversation efforts and the rights of indigenous people. In 2000, Sams was awarded the President’s Service Medal for his efforts to help protect the environment.

Deb Haaland has partial Native American ancestry and is an enrolled member of the Laguna Pueblo tribe.

• Heart 4

21 hours ago, donkpow said:

And? 

Did they hold a seance or make some beef jerky or something like that?

Probably.  Or, maybe not? I'm not sure as there was a reason "code talkers" were so cool and useful - schmucks like me have no idea what they're saying!

• Awesome 2

Just now, donkpow said:

I was looking for a smoke signal wisecrack.

Makes you wonder how the Native Americans dealt with forest fires back in the day?  Especially ones like the big ones rolling through places like CA, OR, CO, etc. these past few years.

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Makes you wonder how the Native Americans dealt with forest fires back in the day?  Especially ones like the big ones rolling through places like CA, OR, CO, etc. these past few years.

I'm sure they accepted some events as part of their natural world. I have read, native Americans used fire to reduce the quantity of underbrush in forests. This cleared the way for better hunting grounds and created managed forest growth.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

Just now, donkpow said:

I'm sure they accepted some events as part of their natural world. I have read, native Americans used fire to reduce the quantity of underbrush in forests. This cleared the way for better hunting grounds and created managed forest growth.

I wonder if they can bring any of that "common sense" attitude to managing the Interior and Parks!

I can’t remember if it was “This American Life” or another NPR show that featured stories of Native American tribes trying to assist government agencies by sharing land and water management techniques they had learned over the centuries only to have those agencies ignore them. 

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, groupw said:

I can’t remember if it was “This American Life” or another NPR show that featured stories of Native American tribes trying to assist government agencies by sharing land and water management techniques they had learned over the centuries only to have those agencies ignore them. 

Yeah - the hope is that these two are a bit more influential with their opinions and can craft some reasonable policy.  

• Heart 1

I don't understand why -

if we are to judge people by their character and abilities -

if race/gender/age/marital status/etc. etc. and more etc. are not factors to disqualify or qualify a person for a position or job - and

if we aim for a more 'inclusive' society in order to de-emphasize differences

we constantly hear things like 'Person was the first Third-Generation Immigrant from Antarctica, Organic Farmer, of Blue Color, Non-Binary as Measured Mathematically in Base 6, Gender Undisclosed, of the Spaghetti Monster Faith who is now head of the government department/company vice president/non-profit CEO'.

:dontknow:

• Heart 2

15 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

if we are to judge select people by their characteristics and abilities

If race/gender/age/marital status/etc. etc. and more etc. are not factors to disqualify or qualify a person for a position or job - and

Does it make sense now? 

I'm not sure if land stewardship  would be "better".  After all, the university educated members have to meld 21st thinking with thinking from centuries ago. He has a great background and already probably worked with key stakeholders.

I'm more willing to believe in alternative indigenous ways of mental health counselling, countering abuse, anything to strengthen family ties and make a young person even stronger in their self-identity to move forward positively. I feel very strongly in this area in areas of self-healing, etc.

. However on  land and environmental matters, there's alot of large vague issues and different parties with various self-interest. 

The bid 2030 for Vancouver Winter Olympics might be led by indigenous leaders:  Douglas Todd: 2030 Winter Olympics a hard sell for British Columbians | Windsor Star  Sheot, they have no idea how clever the IOC Europeans are to suck in a city to foot local  costs... it's sickening. Tokyo has learned the hard way..

On 1/22/2022 at 9:06 AM, Razors Edge said:

For The First Time In US History...both the Secretary of the Interior and the head of the National Park Service are of Native American heritage.  

...don't say anything, but they think they were in charge before the Constitution was ratified. My friend here, Francisco, thinks he's still in charge. He wants us to go back where we came from.

3 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I don't understand why -

if race/gender/age/marital status/etc. etc. and more etc. are not factors to disqualify or qualify a person for a position or job - and

we constantly hear things like 'Person was the first Third-Generation Immigrant from Antarctica, Organic Farmer, of Blue Color, Non-Binary as Measured Mathematically in Base 6, Gender Undisclosed, of the Spaghetti Monster Faith who is now head of the government department/company vice president/non-profit CEO'.

...this sounds political to me. Am I missing something ?

5 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I'm not sure if land stewardship  would be "better".  After all, the university educated members have to meld 21st thinking with thinking from centuries ago. He has a great background and already probably worked with key stakeholders.

I'm more willing to believe in alternative indigenous ways of mental health counselling, countering abuse, anything to strengthen family ties and make a young person even stronger in their self-identity to move forward positively. I feel very strongly in this area in areas of self-healing, etc.

. However on  land and environmental matters, there's alot of large vague issues and different parties with various self-interest. 

The bid 2030 for Vancouver Winter Olympics might be led by indigenous leaders:  Douglas Todd: 2030 Winter Olympics a hard sell for British Columbians | Windsor Star  Sheot, they have no idea how clever the IOC Europeans are to suck in a city to foot local  costs... it's sickening. Tokyo has learned the hard way..

Stewardship? Land management?

It has been estimated that if we needed the acreage per person to survive that the Piscataway, Pokomoke, and other Native American tribes needed in pre-European Maryland, the maximum population would be about 250,000.  The current population is 6 million and is doing fine with Chesapeake Bay and tributary preservation programs doing a good job.  Deer and bear populations have have grown so large that hunting seasons have been expanded or begun.

When large Indian villages assembled, they soon had to break up into smaller villages and move because the game in the area was soon exhausted by large numbers who couldn't survive long on the land.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...this sounds political to me. Am I missing something ?

Your interpretation is your own.

I do not post political content here, nor even content that skirts around the guidelines for political content.  It creates too much disruption and work for the moderators and SW, and contributes nothing to the atmosphere of the Forum.  The Forum is free, it has guidelines.  A participant follows the guidelines or goes home.

My post was strictly an observation of behavior, without reference to political party or politician.

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I don't understand why -

Maybe that's not how it works? :scratchhead:  Odd, eh? :dontknow:

• Hugs 1

How much influence does a bureaucratic administrator have? These bureaucracies are huge and unlike the armed forces, participants have strongly vested interest in maintaining at least the status quo. This Native American presence is actually more like a religious thing than a political one.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I do not post political content here, nor even content that skirts around the guidelines for political content.  It creates too much disruption and work for the moderators and SW, and contributes nothing to the atmosphere of the Forum.  The Forum is free, it has guidelines.  A participant follows the guidelines or goes home.

My post was strictly an observation of behavior, without reference to political party or politician.

...so I am missing something ?  OK, thanks.

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Maybe that's not how it works? :scratchhead:  Odd, eh? :dontknow:

...when your race and class are well represented in the hierarchy of government, it's pretty easy to assume that everything is on the level, and change doesn't matter.  Because it doesn't, to you.*

*this post is not in any way political. Anyone who presumes it is is just misinformed. I would never write anything here that was based on my political opinions. Because that would be wrong. Or as I recently heard:

I do not post political content here, nor even content that skirts around the guidelines for political content.  It creates too much disruption and work for the moderators and SW, and contributes nothing to the atmosphere of the Forum.  The Forum is free, it has guidelines.  A participant follows the guidelines or goes home.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, donkpow said:

How much influence does a bureaucratic administrator have? These bureaucracies are huge and unlike the armed forces, participants have strongly vested interest in maintaining at least the status quo. This Native American presence is actually more like a religious thing than a political one.

giphy.gif

...I served for 7-8 years in an administrative position in the Federal Bureaucracy.  My experience in that world convinced me that the people who sit in administrative positions, even at the lower levels, have a great deal of influence on the administration of federal programs at the level of individuals.  Nice cat gif....and this is coming from a person who collects cat gifs. :)

You've probably never met Politicat, the ambassador of peace, love, and the middle ground. The last time he was here, he was sent to Club Fed for a month. He wanted some serious payback when he got out but I talked him off the edge. He's back in the game, now. Doing what he does best and that which is good for the world.

giphy.gif

• Heart 1
  • Envious 1

18 hours ago, shootingstar said:

'm more willing to believe in alternative indigenous ways of mental health counselling, countering abuse, anything to strengthen family ties and make a young person even stronger in their self-identity to move forward positively. I feel very strongly in this area in areas of self-healing, etc.

I agree but there are too few qualified to do so. 

18 hours ago, shootingstar said:

However on  land and environmental matters, there's alot of large vague issues and different parties with various self-interest. 

100% 

2 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...from the number of people I read, who think they're standing on the middle ground, you'd think it would be easier to find. *sigh*

Politicat says STFU!

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as any manner of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

john-donnes-holy-sonnet-1-thou-hast-made

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...I served for 7-8 years in an administrative position in the Federal Bureaucracy.  My experience in that world convinced me that the people who sit in administrative positions, even at the lower levels, have a great deal of influence on the administration of federal programs at the level of individuals.  Nice cat gif....and this is coming from a person who collects cat gifs. :)

They can.....meaning the government workers at various levels. The lower levels execute on procedures which point to policy..which points at the highest level..to legislated authority. It is at this highest level of making real substantive change. I am certain federal U.S. law, like CAnadian federal law, states in writing in the legislation itself which govn't authority has this  power to create additional support legislation and policies.

However I'm sure there have been situations where a lower level employee did not follow correct procedures... and gave the wrong answer to a member of the public.

I looked at the work background of this recent appointee. He does have experience, whether or not it's resulted in good results..  

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

6fe55dd1b95451c8ec77cfd9e3cbf045.jpg

Must admit, this is pretty funny, if not sad. Because other people know the password but they don't tell others/never thought to pass on the knowledge

However, the password  situation is real. How one must understand corporate culture/society culture correctly and know how the play the games right, despite:

*Naysayers

*formal education/correct training that's on point/required /stated in the job ad

*years of experience, especially several different employers/organizations where one has done the work with increased complexity/more stakeholders/critical clients

*stated /verified positive outcomes from jobs, other work

5 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...when your race and class are well represented in the hierarchy of government, it's pretty easy to assume that everything is on the level, and change doesn't matter.  Because it doesn't, to you.*

*this post is not in any way political. Anyone who presumes it is is just misinformed. I would never write anything here that was based on my political opinions. Because that would be wrong. Or as I recently heard:

I'm sure you've heard, too, that imitation is the highest form of praise.  I'd like to thank you for the compliment you've offered in modeling your post after mine.

I do seem to detect some investment of emotion on your part into your replies, perhaps to the level of vexation or frustration.  Please accept it was not my intent to perturb you, or to stir up within you emotional distress or unbalance.

Should you interpret my post or any in this thread as consisting of political content, you are of course certainly free to alert the moderators and SW of your concerns.

7 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I'm sure you've heard, too, that imitation is the highest form of praise.  I'd like to thank you for the compliment you've offered in modeling your post after mine.

...online trolls inevitably say this, repeatedly.:) It usually comes out as some form of "I know you are, but what am I ?", in the spirit of that great American philosopher, Pee Wee Herman.

pee wee herman anniversary GIF

8 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I do seem to detect some investment of emotion on your part into your replies, perhaps to the level of vexation or frustration.  Please accept it was not my intent to perturb you, or to stir up within you emotional distress or unbalance.

...online trolls say this more often than the preceding statement.

troll GIF

Should you interpret my post or any in this thread as consisting of political content, you are of course certainly free to alert the moderators and SW of your concerns.

...hat trick. :happyanim: Trolling a troll might be harder than it first appears to you, and I doubt you have the stomach for it.  Certainly you appear to lack sarcastic humor gene. the But I'm not the boss of you. 

seth macfarlane GIF