FIL Update

ChrisL

So the FIL opted not to come to CA for now.  He didn’t want to pay as much in rent as the SoCal market demands.  He’s going to move to TX (Houston) for now.

He mentioned to WOChrisL again that he would like to go in on a house out here & live together. As a house that would accommodate all of us would be pushing $1.5M out here we’re not sure how that would happen but he mentioned contributing as much as $1M towards the purchase. 

Still a lot to discuss & work out but he signed a one year lease and plans to come for a visit after he’s settled in. There is no rush to figure it out.

• Heart 4

48 minutes ago, Zealot said:

So this is good news then, correct?

I guess.  We don’t have an issue with the idea of living together, the plan would be to our benefit. I just think he’s thinking of holding his wealth instead of living near his family.  I’d think he’d be happier here with us paying more than living alone in TX with lower rent.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

if you are good with the living arrangements, it would help you afford the home.  Home prices in CA (and other places) scare me.... but I recall what I paid in Indiana, so.

I know and the market has taken off yet again.  Home prices & rent are ridiculously high right now. 

52 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I guess so. That amount near me gets you this. This is the island city next to me.

https://www.trulia.com/p/mi/grosse-ile/29089-e-river-rd-grosse-ile-mi-48138--2099254919

Yep.  I used to travel a lot with my previous job and always ask the locals what the housing market was like.  We live in a spendy area but it’s home.  I’d rather live with less house & be here than have more house & live somewhere else. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, az_cyclist said:

Home prices in CA (and other places) scare me

What happens when the earthquakes hit?  Sure home prices might dip from the fear that some have if an 8.0 or below hit, but I think the real problems will come from roads/water/electricity/gas go down for weeks or much longer if it is a monster quake like that 9.2 in Alaska.  If (IF) that happens in our lifetime, it will take 2 - 3 years to make everything right again, I imagine, and not many folks will want to wait that one out.  Pricing will take a hit for a while, more if wildfire season gets longer and more pronounced at the same time.

I lived through 3 earthquakes when I lived in the bay area, and they were pretty cool.  They were cool probably because they were comparatively little.  The biggest one caused a huge building I worked in to visibly sway and shake pretty good, about 10-15% of the ceiling tiles fell.  Some folks were a little freaked out, but most people just shrugged it off, saying that it was "just a bigger little one".

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, az_cyclist said:

if you are good with the living arrangements, it would help you afford the home.  Home prices in CA (and other places) scare me.... but I recall what I paid in Indiana, so.

True but we already own and in a few years will be mortgage free. I could live out my years where I am & die happy.  Not sure if a bigger home would make us happier.  I mean in 10 years it will be just the two of us in that big house…

17 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

What happens when the earthquakes hit?  Sure home prices might dip from the fear that some have if an 8.0 or below hit, but I think the real problems will come from roads/water/electricity/gas go down for weeks or much longer if it is a monster quake like that 9.2 in Alaska.  If (IF) that happens in our lifetime, it will take 2 - 3 years to make everything right again, I imagine, and not many folks will want to wait that one out.  Pricing will take a hit for a while, more if wildfire season gets longer and more pronounced at the same time.

I lived through 3 earthquakes when I lived in the bay area, and they were pretty cool.  They were cool probably because they were comparatively little.  The biggest one caused a huge building I worked in to visibly sway and shake pretty good, about 10-15% of the ceiling tiles fell.  Some folks were a little freaked out, but most people just shrugged it off, saying that it was "just a bigger little one".

I really don’t plan my life around the big one. I am more likely to die on a ride than have my house/city destroyed by the big one.  

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

True but we already own and in a few years will be mortgage free. I could live out my years where I am & die happy.  Not sure if a bigger home would make us happier.  I mean in 10 years it will be just the two of us in that big house…

Think about this hard....did you and wifey want to live in Texas (have I understood this so far?)? Quite different than coastal CA.

Just now, shootingstar said:

Think about this hard....did you and wifey want to live in Texas (have I understood this so far?)? Quite different than coastal CA.

That’s not the plan.  FIL is going to rent a place in TX for now & sort his life out.  If he had his druthers he’d go in with us on a house where we live now in SoCal.

No thought necessary as no way in hell are we moving to TX.

• Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Get out while you can...

Nah I’ll wait for the Tsunami generated by the big one to take me out.  If that doesn’t work the mud slides created by the apocalyptic fires will get me.  Or maybe I’ll just die of thirst from the draught.

Either way I ain’t leaving!

20 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Nah I’ll wait for the Tsunami generated by the big one to take me out.  If that doesn’t work the mud slides created by the apocalyptic fires will get me.  Or maybe I’ll just die of thirst from the draught.

Either way I ain’t leaving!

You won't have to worry about that, something about the whole layout of tectonic plates says that any slippage that happens near you is gonna push water towards Asia.  LA is mostly safe from tsunamis, if I remember it correctly from my two physical geography classes at the best university in the country, the Ohio State University.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

You won't have to worry about that, something about the whole layout of tectonic plates says that any slippage that happens near you is gonna push water towards Asia.  LA is mostly safe from tsunamis, if I remember it correctly from my two physical geography classes at the best university in the country, the Ohio State University.

We live on a slip fault & they don’t cause tsunami’s, thrust or subduction faults do.   That’s why we won’t break off into the ocean either but in a couple of million years we may end up in NorCal & Baja Mexico will be part of the US…

We know the truth but we hear the BS all the time…