Check Engine Light?

Razors Edge

Isn't that one a "notice" not a warning/danger light? Like yellow/orange vs red?  Oil lights are RED!!! But the check engine seems to be the "hey, your fuel cap is off" or a "you just hit 60,000 miles and time for service" light.  Correct?

I see Ditka hyping the car warranty, and he says something like "get it before the check engine light comes on and it is too late", but I don't think that most check engine lights are "big events".  

Am I nuttier than usual?

• Heart 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Did you actually just get that one, or a whole host of lights???

I was not in the car.  He said a light came on and it said something to him about an engine control failure or somesuch at about the same time it started making loud knocking sounds.

• Sad 2

I drove my 2000 Jetta for about 120,000 miles, and I'm pretty sure the check engine light was on for half of them.  Whatever caused the indication had no apparent effect on the car's performance or fuel economy, and I didn't really sweat it unless an inspection was due.

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

The check engine light was originally to be an indication that something had gone wrong in the monitored systems. Now days, some cars lock up if you have a serious fault.

Hmmm.  Mine must not be working.  It has yet to detect my inability to admit it when I'm wrong.

• Haha 1