Weird pizza styles

Prophet Zacharia

Philly is known for tomato pie served at room temp  Really delicious if done well  

Best Tomato Pie in Philadelphia | Chew Philly Food Tours

Marchiano’s Bakery – Marchiano’s tomato pie is rolled into long sheets by hand, and is then covered with crushed tomatoes, olive oil, and spices. Finally, a dusting of parmesan is added before you enjoy. Served at room temperature, this is a nod to how family matriarch Nunziata Marchiano believed the pie to be best enjoyed – to bring out the true taste and texture of the tomatoes. The business is still owned and operated by the Marchiano family, bringing an old-world charm to the location and it’s goods. Glance behind their counter when you’re in – you’ll see photographs of the many celebrities who have also enjoyed Marchiano’s baked Italian goods.

Around Rochester, it is the wings pizza I have never had one.
Chicken Charlie Pizza™

Blue cheese base, your choice of Wing Sauce with diced chicken fingers & lots of mozzarella.

• Heart 1

We don't go out to eat too often and definitely not pizza.  I make great pizza.  

There is a local place that makes this brussel sprout thing. Most people like it.  I'm like, meh.  If I am having pizza, I am not doing it for health reasons.

I have made a non-traditional pizza with pears nuts and blue cheese.  You can sub feta, if you are not fond of the blue.  Carmelized onions pair well with this pear pizza.  :D I am sure I will be raked over the coals for this combo.  Do as you must.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

45 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Blue cheese base, your choice of Wing Sauce with diced chicken fingers & lots of mozzarella.

Sounds interesting. We have a brew pub near us that does some interesting wood fire pizza options. Some that use ranch dressing or various other non-traditional sauces. Then it’s a matter of their topping choices.

• Heart 1

Yeah SoCal doesn’t really have a signature pizza style.  We are known more for our broad spectrum of foods & we have all sorts of styles. Nothing really odd either.

My favorite pizza joint is a local family owned pizza place. The type of place where they don’t deliver, you gotta eat it there or order to go.  I love the crust, not too thick but soft & chewy.  

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Tell me more about that crust, please

It's simple. 

Just throw 1 egg, spinach, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning in a food processor and mix it up until it looks like baby food. Spread it out on parchment paper and pop it into the oven and bake until the edges just start to brown. Then top with everything that you like on your pizza and bake. 

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Interesting. I grew up 45 minutes from there and never had that style. I guess that’s similar to driving by Beto’s twice a day and never stopping. 

I grew up 3.5 miles away, and never had that style, but, then again, I'm thinking back then, 15 mins away for pizza was WAY too far away.  The local places would be a mile or less away and deliver.  Nowadays, that's different, but I don't ever remember ordering pizza from places that far away :D Oh how times change.

I like trying different pizza combinations and have tried pineapple and other weird pizzas and enjoyed them, but I don't enjoy them as much as tomato-based pizza sauce based pizzas, so I haven't been paying much attention to them, though a Greek pizza at one local sub shot might work well: sort of an open faced gyro on pizza dough.

In Athens, Greece, I had open faced souvlaki on pita bread and it was fantastic.

22 hours ago, Airehead said:

Philly is known for tomato pie served at room temp  Really delicious if done well  

Best Tomato Pie in Philadelphia | Chew Philly Food Tours

Marchiano’s Bakery – Marchiano’s tomato pie is rolled into long sheets by hand, and is then covered with crushed tomatoes, olive oil, and spices. Finally, a dusting of parmesan is added before you enjoy. Served at room temperature, this is a nod to how family matriarch Nunziata Marchiano believed the pie to be best enjoyed – to bring out the true taste and texture of the tomatoes. The business is still owned and operated by the Marchiano family, bringing an old-world charm to the location and it’s goods. Glance behind their counter when you’re in – you’ll see photographs of the many celebrities who have also enjoyed Marchiano’s baked Italian goods.

Around Rochester, it is the wings pizza I have never had one.
Chicken Charlie Pizza™

Wing pizza does not sound good to me at all, but I would definitely try the Marchiano's pizza.  There is something to be said for trying something as the chef/proprietor wants it to be experienced.