Let's talk about oveny stuff

Randomguy

I don’t have a system for pre-heating. Sometimes I turn it on well before the food has to go inside; other times I put the food in before it’s at temperature, like when baking potatoes. 

We clean the range top every day. Our burners are sealed, so there’s no lifting the top with this one. We use the steam clean function on the ovens once a month. 

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:
  1.  How long do you preheat the oven before it is 'prehot' and ready to cook in?
  2.  How often do you 'pop the hood' and clean the area under the burners?  I am talking about lifting that metal layer, btw, and really getting after it.

It's usually a 10 min wait after preheat temp is reached. but I'm not one who cares to be exact.

And I usually do a vacuum and maybe a scrub if I start to smell burning. Otherwise, no more than once a year.

• Heart 1

38 minutes ago, Randomguy said:
  1.  How long do you preheat the oven before it is 'prehot' and ready to cook in?
  2.  How often do you 'pop the hood' and clean the area under the burners?  I am talking about lifting that metal layer, btw, and really getting after it.

I preheat it till it indicates it's up to the desired temp.  I never pop the top.  It's ceramic/glass.

I preheat until the oven warms up to my selected temperature. Then food goes in. Unless I’m preheating the cast iron skillet with bacon grease for cornbread. Clean when needed. 

Update on the new stove. I called the store and it’s still on back order. Our salesman is going to email their GE rep. for a status update. We are #36 of 45 units on back order. The problem is the scarcity of parts for the induction cooktop. He said he has the same model in his warehouse but the top is all electric and not induction. The oven also does not have a camera. I didn’t know about the camera. I told him, watching food cook is like watching paint dry. I don’t care about that. I’m leaning toward going all electric to get a new stove. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Old No. 7 said:

I preheat until the oven warms up to my selected temperature. Then food goes in. Unless I’m preheating the cast iron skillet with bacon grease for cornbread. Clean when needed. 

Update on the new stove. I called the store and it’s still on back order. Our salesman is going to email their GE rep. for a status update. We are #36 of 45 units on back order. The problem is the scarcity of parts for the induction cooktop. He said he has the same model in his warehouse but the top is all electric and not induction. The oven also does not have a camera. I didn’t know about the camera. I told him, watching food cook is like watching paint dry. I don’t care about that. I’m leaning toward going all electric to get a new stove. 

But, the question remains, will you have to pay for it in the end? :D

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Old No. 7 said:

I preheat until the oven warms up to my selected temperature.

Interesting as I always heard that the oven often gets to the preheated temp, but it takes further time to get the whole darn oven area to an even level of temp.  A "thermal" mass is on aid in that.

Prevent Heat Loss & Achieve Even Heat

To maintain the proper temperature, add a thermal mass (such as a baking stone) to the bottom rack of your oven. This will help your oven maintain its temperature (and quickly recover back to its desired preheat temperature) when you open and close the door.

Adding a thermal mass like a pizza or baking stone to your oven will also help the oven disperse a more even heat, which is necessary for certain baked items that require even, consistent heat. If you have a repair complaint such as “my oven doesn’t bake evenly” try adding a baking stone to the bottom rack to fix your heating problems.

Whatever you do, don’t place the dish directly on the baking stone…use the rack above!

How long should I preheat my oven?

The amount of time it take to preheat your oven will depend on how much thermal mass you added and how long it takes to change temperature.  Some people add 20 minutes to their preheating time, and some add up to an hour. Just remember: there’s no danger of preheating your oven too long, since it will only get as hot as the temperature you set it to.

To ensure you’ve reached the optimal temperature, use a thermometer to monitor your oven’s heat. As you learn more about how long it takes your oven to preheat to certain temperatures, keep a log for your future reference

24 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Smart ass! I will pay but I won’t hear a clank every time I turn it on! We are also getting a zephyr but I haven’t narrowed down the model yet.

True.  I am making bread today.  HAHA.  I should record the bonk.  

How much time are you allowing for the decision on the fan?  I suggest 4 months and lots of fretting.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Wth do you eat?  Do you not make pizza?

Take out, toaster oven and microwave.  o tend to leave the pizza making to professionals, but I'll sometimes make individual pizzas in the toaster oven.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I hate your family.  I don't have to meet them to know this.

I also would use it as a step to get to higher shelves.

But we redid the kitchen and the new dishwasher was used.  By then we were all approaching teenage years, and we produced a lot of dishes.

40 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

True.  I am making bread today.  HAHA.  I should record the bonk.  

How much time are you allowing for the decision on the fan?  I suggest 4 months and lots of fretting.

I will ask @bikeman564™ for his input. This is the model we wanted but it’s out of stock until August I think. 

9FEBF3DD-64B5-4373-8302-F8296554E339.jpeg

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, jsharrwick said:

Turn it on and set the temp and it tells me when it is ready.

This 

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

But, the question remains, will you have to pay for it in the end? :D

I'm filthy rich and don't worry about it. 

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

Take out, toaster oven and microwave.  o tend to leave the pizza making to professionals, but I'll sometimes make individual pizzas in the toaster oven.

We use our toaster oven 90% of the time 

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Interesting as I always heard that the oven often gets to the preheated temp, but it takes further time to get the whole darn oven area to an even level of temp.  A "thermal" mass is on aid in that.

Prevent Heat Loss & Achieve Even Heat

To maintain the proper temperature, add a thermal mass (such as a baking stone) to the bottom rack of your oven. This will help your oven maintain its temperature (and quickly recover back to its desired preheat temperature) when you open and close the door.

Adding a thermal mass like a pizza or baking stone to your oven will also help the oven disperse a more even heat, which is necessary for certain baked items that require even, consistent heat. If you have a repair complaint such as “my oven doesn’t bake evenly” try adding a baking stone to the bottom rack to fix your heating problems.

Whatever you do, don’t place the dish directly on the baking stone…use the rack above!

How long should I preheat my oven?

The amount of time it take to preheat your oven will depend on how much thermal mass you added and how long it takes to change temperature.  Some people add 20 minutes to their preheating time, and some add up to an hour. Just remember: there’s no danger of preheating your oven too long, since it will only get as hot as the temperature you set it to.

To ensure you’ve reached the optimal temperature, use a thermometer to monitor your oven’s heat. As you learn more about how long it takes your oven to preheat to certain temperatures, keep a log for your future reference

I have no problem with my convection oven.

• Awesome 1