How About This Guy?

Razors Edge

Can we get an AMEN???

Hiker Rescued in Pisgah National Forest After Ignoring Winter Storm Warnings

As heavy Winter Storm Izzy came down on much of North Carolina earlier this month, a man went hiking in Pisgah National Forest, despite multiple weather warnings advising people to stay home. When it became clear that the hiker was underprepared for the severe weather, a Haywood County Search and Rescue team strapped on their snowshoes and set out for an emergency evacuation. 

On Friday, January 15, the National Weather Service in Raleigh had issued a winter storm watch that was later upgraded to a weather advisory. That same day North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper (D) also urged people to be prepared for the weather after declaring a state of emergency the day before to activate state resources for storm response.

Despite the warnings, the unidentified hiker set out on Saturday to backpack western North Carolina’s Art Loeb Trail. The 30-mile trail in Pisgah National Forest leads to the summits of Black Balsam Knob and Tennent Mountain and is known to be “one of the longer and more difficult trails in the state,” according to AllTrails.

The man survived a night of camping on Saturday, but by Sunday morning he knew he needed to call for help. 

According to Haywood County Search & Rescue, they responded to a call reporting a stranded hiker at 10:15 a.m. that Sunday and headed up the Blue Ridge Parkway where “road conditions were treacherous with less than 100 feet of visibility and a wintry mix of sleet and snow falling.”

When the team arrived at the trailhead, they continued in a 4WD truck for about two miles, which was as far as conditions allowed. 

“From there, they donned snowshoes and traveled on foot to get to the stranded hiker,” the Haywood County Search & Rescue said in a Facebook post. “Six members of Haywood County Search and Rescue’s highly-trained Mountain Rescue Team participated in the search. Mountain Rescue Team members receive intensive alpine rescue training specifically designed to challenge individuals to prepare them for winter rescue scenarios exactly like those they encountered on this mission.”

Thanks to the trained officials of Haywood County Search & Rescue, the man was found safely without any injuries. As severe weather can quickly become a larger threat, especially this time of year, the organization urges the public to always remember to check the weather forecast and trail conditions before heading into the wild.

“The hiker was in good spirits, despite the long night he just endured and was able to walk out on his own alongside the rescuers,” the team said in the Facebook post, which included a photo of the rescuers smiling in their bright orange gear after a job well done. 

272026578_4756629691083271_2992255596220

• Heart 3

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

That hasn't been relevant in years.

5 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Ah, weather happens in all kinds of seasons.  

A quick search found many articles where people need to pay, this one isn't clear, but possible pressing charges too.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-man-may-have-to-pay-own-rescue-bill-20190618-7qdnwn65z5ck7jfezmbafolwae-story.html

16 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

A quick search found many articles where people need to pay, this one isn't clear, but possible pressing charges too.

Is the rescue cost posted? Is bad weather subjective?  Are you inviting unskilled or flatlander folks in to the outdoors?  Did they start the climb during a storm or with decent weather?

I don't like living in a nickle and dime or a 'gotcha' situation where someone randomly says you have to pay whatever we say after the fact.  You have either a paid rescue team or a volunteer team because people will get in unforseen situations and will need rescuing sometimes.  You can be totally lacking in common sense as a tourist, and I would say most tourists are lacking that.  You invite and welcome tourists to climb a mountain and staff a rescue team for a reason and that reason is not to charge people an arbitrary cost when some need help.

We had severe weather advisories both last Monday and this Monday and Tuesday. I still went to all ny appointments. Last Monday was terrible but I have 4 wheel drive and had no issues. The doctors office on the other hand was closed because of the weather. This Monday and Tuesday the weather service made a bad guess and the weather was fine. A little bit slippery in town where they had salted.

• Heart 1

58 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Yup.  

Kind of like how hospitals don't charge extra when someone shoves something up their rectum and other self inflicted medical conditions.

Ambulances sure charge enough wether you were the ones that called them or not. I would see on these reality shows someone has a fender bender and the cops call an ambulance for them to go get checked out. They are out walking around, answering questions, no blood on them and they let themselves be loaded into an ambulance. Ca-Ching, there goes $750 or more.

Just now, Longjohn said:

Ambulances sure charge enough wether you were the ones that called them or not. I would see on these reality shows someone has a fender bender and the cops call an ambulance for them to go get checked out. They are out walking around, answering questions, no blood on them and they let themselves be loaded into an ambulance. Ca-Ching, there goes $750 or more.

Not really.  I have refused that service before.  It is always a choice.  Unless, one is unconscious.  You can refuse any medical service if you are able to communicate that.

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Not really.  I have refused that service before.  It is always a choice.  Unless, one is unconscious.  You can refuse any medical service if you are able to communicate that.

I’ve refused it before too but these people on TV just blindly let themselves be loaded into an ambulance. My ambulance rides have all been necessary. I still had to pay for them. Broken hip, transfer from one hospital to another for heart cath, Transfer from cancer center to Emergency room. Transfer from doctor’s office to hospital. I think my insurance I just bought pays for ambulance rides.

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I’ve refused it before too but these people on TV just blindly let themselves be loaded into an ambulance. My ambulance rides have all been necessary. I still had to pay for them. Broken hip, transfer from one hospital to another for heart cath, Transfer from cancer center to Emergency room. Transfer from doctor’s office to hospital. I think my insurance I just bought pays for ambulance rides.

And if they charge for the SAR, simply wait until they find you, decline, and follow them back to safety.  I think that's how the guy in the story did it and was able to "walk out on his own alongside the rescuers"!  GENIUS!!! Darwin FTW!

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I’ve refused it before too but these people on TV just blindly let themselves be loaded into an ambulance.

I had a friend while in grade school who crashed his bike. He was fine. A neighbor called 911, the police and ambulance came. He was encouraged by the EMS to go off in the ambulance just to make sure he was ok. He obliged, as most 10 year olds might. His mom was not happy with the bill! 

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I had a friend while in grade school who crashed his bike. He was fine. A neighbor called 911, the police and ambulance came. He was encouraged by the EMS to go off in the ambulance just to make sure he was ok. He obliged, as most 10 year olds might. His mom was not happy with the bill! 

We didn't have 911 when I was a kid! We used to have to call the cops or fire department. A total rigamarole!  

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’m surprised they could take him away without parental consent unless his life was in extreme danger. 

11 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Well, TV.  

HoDH laughs at some of the medical scenes.  He's like "That doesn't happen" or "this is not accurate"

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

We didn't have 911 when I was a kid! We used to have to call the cops or fire department. A total rigamarole!  

You may be right, I wasn’t involved in the call, they all just showed up. 

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I’m surprised they could take him away without parental consent unless his life was in extreme danger. 

It was an “emergency”. I guess. :biker: