How many of the National Parks have you been to?

Randomguy

I have only been to 6  This is primarily because I feel that they are a bit of a shitshow, and you can see much of the same beauty in a less spoiled setting by researching a bit and camping nearby or going somewhere with similar features.  Lots of stuff to see near Brian Head instead of Bryce, for instance.  Not exactly the same, no gift shops and not much stop-and-go traffic and crowded campgrounds on BLM land  

I don't like the privilege of paying to be around crowds a whole lot.  I am sure I will go to more eventually, though, but offseason makes more sense to me.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I have only been to 6  This is primarily because I feel that they are a bit of a shitshow, and you can see much of the same beauty in a more unspoiled setting by researching a bit and camping nearby or going somewhere with similar features.  I don't like the privilege of paying to be around crowds a whole lot.

This is how crowded GTNP was last week. When we left, there were four other cars where we parked. I bet Yellowstone was pretty similar.

IMG_20220122_144250235.jpg

• Heart 3
  • Envious 1

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Shoulder is best.  Warm enough to do stuff, but way less crowded. Peak or weekends are rough.

Ok, you win.  You know I hate the cold.

11 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Only 2.  Several National Forests, but only a couple parks.  Parks are for kids.  Forests are for men...

Agreed, I have been to dozens 31 national forests, mostly in the west.  There might be a couple of others that I forgot I camped in.

https://bestmapsever.com/pages/united-states-national-forests-national-grasslands-list

9 on that list, but I was to the Indiana Dunes before they were a park so that's sort of like 9.5

I wanted to add at least one of the Washington State parks two years ago, but plans got cancelled due to some sort of pandemic thingy.

Just now, Randomguy said:

Ok, you win.  You know I hate the cold.

Agreed, I have been to dozens and dozens of national forests, mostly in the west.

Yeah, and then there are the parks inside the forests, the National Seashores, the National Historical Sites, yada yada yada.

All are pretty AWESOME!

23 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Only 2.  Several National Forests, but only a couple parks.  Parks are for kids.  Forests are for men...

I spend a lot more time in NFs than Parks. I'm probably in the NF 3-4 times a week. From this photo, I'm riding in a NF taking a photo of a National Wildlife Refuge and a NP. Life is good. 97% of our county is NP, NF, or NWR. The county is 4216 sq. miles. 

IMG_20210520_185329942_HDR.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

...when I lived in Merced, Yosemite NP was the closest ice skating rink to me. No one there in winter, because the downhill area, Badger Pass, is old, so not very challenging. I've been to a lot of the parks on that list. but never to Alaska.  I used to buy a season pass for entry back in those days.  My favorite National Park here, in terms of anonymity, is Pinnacles.  Hardly anyone goes to Pinnacles.

vpage23.jpg

12 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...when I lived in Merced, Yosemite NP was the closest ice skating rink to me. No one there in winter, because the downhill area, Badger Pass, is old, so not very challenging. I've been to a lot of the parks on that list. but never to Alaska.  I used to buy a season pass for entry back in those days.  My favorite National Park here, in terms of anonymity, is Pinnacles.  Hardly anyone goes to Pinnacles.

vpage23.jpg

Been there.  Used to climb here a lot when I was into that.  I really love this place.

• Heart 1