Physical Therapy

Zealot

10 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

It is quite an art and a lot of luck to have a frootful relationship with your medical professionals. I have voted with my feet for a few but have lucked out with others. A lot like the neighbor lottery. :)

Absolutely!

The human body is a wonder.  I had an MRI of my knee about 5 years ago.  I really thought I tore something.  Doc sent me to PT.  PT worked on strengthening my hips.  Pain was definitely in the knee and below, why the heck are we working on the hip?  Knee tendon pain came from overcompensating for a weak hip muscle.  Few months of PT and exercises, and a couple years, knee is better.

I'm not making excuses for the lack of listening, but medicine is just as much art as it is science.

• Heart 2

"When the therapist got to me, I was asked all the same questions I’d just answered."

I hate having the same thing happen frequently in doctor's offices. I wonder how much it has to do with making sure they're legally covered in terms of asking you every possible question multiple times.

When I was having physical therapy on my shoulder and occasional visits to the surgeon's office, there was three pages of the same stuff I wrote while sitting in the main office on every visit with a few questions on the bottom about physical therapy progress which were made meaningless when they were expanded to about 12 questions plus physical examination when I went in to see the doctor.

• Heart 1

36 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I'm not making excuses for the lack of listening, but medicine is just as much art as it is science.

Absolutely.  And yes, have experienced a similar knee thing where the resultant PT was astonishing!  It was my Ortho who prescribed it. Has a great understanding of biomechanics and is who had been right about my shoulders as well, who performed the ACL repair on my wife, etc. A lot of trust here on my part built up over the years. So, I was expecting the therapist to follow the scrip...  

But I am seeing where it goes. 😊 

I don't blame them for asking about things that may already be on the form because often the forms aren't totally clear (or people don't read and fill them in correctly) but if  the patient starts answering the questions, they may say something else that is useful.   But even if she had a good reason for doing something other than what appeared obvious from the prescription pr for repeating the questions, it would have been helpful to explain what she was thinking about and why she was working on things that seemed repetitive or unrelated to the main issue.  Communication can make such a difference.  Hope the next session goes well.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I don't blame them for asking about things that may already be on the form because often the forms aren't totally clear (or people don't read and fill them in correctly) but if  the patient starts answering the questions, they may say something else that is useful.   But even if she had a good reason for doing something other than what appeared obvious from the prescription pr for repeating the questions, it would have been helpful to explain what she was thinking about and why she was working on things that seemed repetitive or unrelated to the main issue.  Communication can make such a difference.  Hope the next session goes well.

I wonder, as doctors, nurses, PT, etc., don't record sessions and usually don't have a note taker or stenographer in the room, if the "forms" we fill out are for the file, and then the professional adds their own notes later or separately?  

I think the last time I went for a regular physical, the nurse had a clipboard and went through a list that was pretty similar to the ones I normally pre-fill for other appointment - do you drink, smoke, family history, medications, etc.. sort of in-take stuff.  I was an "existing" patient but it was my first visit in several years, so they hadn't sent me the "new patient" forms, but maybe realized they should update stuff in my file?   My last dentist appt (Dec) was with a prior dentist who I was returning to as my last dentist retired. Anyway, they had me refill in a bunch of that pre-fill stuff before my cleaning/consultation/filling replacement, but definitely didn't discuss any of that with the hygienist or the dentist.

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I wonder, as doctors, nurses, PT, etc., don't record sessions and usually don't have a note taker or stenographer in the room, if the "forms" we fill out are for the file, and then the professional adds their own notes later or separately?  

I

My former PCP always audio taped the visits with some fancy computer system the practice had, but they always ask for permission (on the recording) first and won't do it if anyone objects.  I just realized my new doctor didn't record the visit. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

For my part, I was impatient. And I had an expectation. The therapist didn’t do or say anything intrinsically wrong, just started down a road I didn’t want to travel. 

Next session is tomorrow. I’ll be less wound up. I don’t have another appt scheduled immediately after this time. 😊And everybody deserves a second chance. 

Thank you! 

So, I’m doing volunteer work at the Rescue Mission on Wednesdays. 

My shoulder was killing me afterwards this week and sleeping was absolutely miserable, if not impossible. 

So, at my second appt yesterday, I expressed this and we went over particular movements that aggravate the condition. I gave the therapist more backstory. This was all very illuminating.  So we changed the course of action. And what we did last evening was incredible. It still just this morning, but not like it did yesterday.

It was a very good session. Fingers remaining crossed.