Consensus report, please.

donkpow
Go to solution Solved by Dirtyhip,

I have the 8 function one. Supposedly I can make yoghurt in it but I haven’t tried. The pressure cook feature is nice for fast results but I don’t like the texture / flavor it turns out. Something seems off, there is no depth of flavor that I get with slow cooking say a beef bourguignone or a pot roast. As a slow cooker I like it better. I haven’t tried rice but the early reviews say don’t. It’s good for fast cooking potatoes, and squash so it really depends on what you’re going to make with it. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I have the 8 function one. Supposedly I can make yoghurt in it but I haven’t tried. The pressure cook feature is nice for fast results but I don’t like the texture / flavor it turns out. Something seems off, there is no depth of flavor that I get with slow cooking say a beef bourguignone or a pot roast. As a slow cooker I like it better. I haven’t tried rice but the early reviews say don’t. It’s good for fast cooking potatoes, and squash so it really depends on what you’re going to make with it. 

Interesting. Thanks for the info.  I wanted to pressure cook beans and rice. Then maybe make a small roast in the 3 qt machine. I see pasta is not that easy or good. Now rice is not that good. Hm.

• Solution

We have owned one for about two years.  there are pros and cons.  We received the 6 qt duo for about $60 on sale.  

Pros

• stainless steel insert.  Not non-stick to flake off and need replacement
  • Cooks beans quickly and it is great for things like this.  
  • Cooks tough meat quickly so for worknight cooking, great
  • Makes great broth and it is sorta set and walk away.  No babysitting,  The broth is not so cloudy.  Not a fan of cloudy stock.
  • Multi function, Slow cook, pressure, rice, soup, yogurt.  You almost think that the device can cook anything, but  ...

Cons

• Even though you have something cooked during the short given time, you still must wait to get the lid open.  So, for rice, it may not save that much time.
  • Rice setting is inferior to a rice cooker.  Rice is often weird, and not as good as a home spun pot of rice.  I have never had rice fail in a rice cooker.  This is not a good rice cooker.
  • If you have a small amount of food, don't put it in the 6 qt.  Too little and it will not cook right.
  • Lid/seal can retain smell.  There is a little metal piece that is highly suspect about this.  I clean the lid after each use.  However some parts are fixed and you can not clean in there.  One option is to buy two silicone seal pieces. 
  • Heavy/bulky one use machine.  Some might argue it is not even necessary in most kitchens

My final conclusion, is meh

• Heart 3

12 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

We have owned one for about two years.  there are pros and cons.  We received the 6 qt duo for about $60 on sale.  

Pros

• stainless steel insert.  Not non-stick to flake off and need replacement
  • Cooks beans quickly and it is great for things like this.  
  • Cooks tough meat quickly so for worknight cooking, great
  • Makes great broth and it is sorta set and walk away.  No babysitting,  The broth is not so cloudy.  Not a fan of cloudy stock.;
  • Multi function, Slow cook, pressure, rice, soup, yogurt.  You almost think that the device can cook anything, but  ...

Cons

• Even though you have something cooked during the short given time, you still must wait to get the lid open.  So, for rice, it may not save that much time.
  • Rice setting is inferior to a rice cooker.  Rice is often weird, and not as good as a home spun pot of rice.  I have never had rice fail in a rice cooker.  This is not a good rice cooker.
  • If you have a small amount of food, don't put it in the 6 qt.  Too little and it will not cook right.
  • Lid/seal can retain smell.  There is a little metal piece that is highly suspect about this.  I clean the lid after each use.  However some parts are fixed and you can not clean in there.  One option is to buy two silicone seal pieces. 
  • Heavy/bulky one use machine.  Some might argue it is not even necessary in most kitchens

My final conclusion, is meh

mark as solution.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I was gonna say if you need something destined to take up counter space, that is the du jour appliance.  No one I know that has one uses it, although they all said they did at first.

I'd choose an air fryer if my oven didn't do it.  I'd rather make "fries" than stews.  I love fried stuff.

We have one, it cooks chuck roast to a cut - with - a - spoon tenderness. The speed thing isn't that big a deal, by the time you have waited for it to come up to pressure and then bleed down from pressure, plus the cleaning, the total time isn't that much better than normal cooking.

I wish I had bought a pressure canner, it would do everything I use the instant pot for plus canning.

We also have counter top convection oven with air fry setting. We use it a lot, and are very happy with the results, air fried frozen fry's taste damn near like deep fried. Reheated pizza is excellent. The only times I've used the big oven since buying this is when the dish is too big to fit in the little one. I don't really know anything about the little round air fryer's, but I like the big square one. 

• Heart 2