The Great California End of Days Bacon Controversy.

Page Turner

...I honestly do not get the big deal here.  Yes, California is attempting to use its huge market share to influence the industry, as it has done for years with pushing for lower emissions cars and trucks. Yes, it will, indeed, cost some money to update the chicken and swine industries, and adapt them to slightly (only slightly) more humane conditions for the animals, who are going to get eaten.

Yes, the costs of this will inevitably get passed on in the form of price increases.  OK, so what do you want to eat, and how humane are you about the methods used to produce it ? There have been people within the state who have been meeting these standards for many years, and I buy those products when I see them for sale.

It's not some elitist conspiracy to take bacon out of the mouths of the masses. Although, like me, they probably eat too much of it.:blush:

Good news. 

Maybe we need to rethink meat and support humane operations.  Personally, I am much happier to support a smaller and more humane producer, like when we bought the 1/4 cow.  The price was not too bad and the meat is top quality.  

Seriously, do people want to eat an animal that lives a life of suffering?  One that stands in it's own mess? Our cow lived in the pasture it's whole life.  Never saw a feed lot.  Never was grained out.  From everything I have read on beef, pasture fed is far better for both parties.  Pasture fed even fits well into the no till scenario.   

Look at a feed lot.  Drive by one.  Then go view a pasture fed beef operation.   The right choice is obvious to me.

Meat producers are hugely toxic to rivers and streams.  We really need to rethink these operations for the sake of future generations.  Do we want kids to have clean water to drink and safe meat to eat?

Example: taste the meat of a deer that was dropped on the first bullet.  Now, taste one that was stressed out and shot multiple times.  The humanely harvested one tastes better.  Cortisol.    

• Heart 2

19 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I honestly do not get the big deal here.  Yes, California is attempting to use its huge market share to influence the industry, as it has done for years with pushing for lower emissions cars and trucks. Yes, it will, indeed, cost some money to update the chicken and swine industries, and adapt them to slightly (only slightly) more humane conditions for the animals, who are going to get eaten.

Yes, the costs of this will inevitably get passed on in the form of price increases.  OK, so what do you want to eat, and how humane are you about the methods used to produce it ? There have been people within the state who have been meeting these standards for many years, and I buy those products when I see them for sale.

It's not some elitist conspiracy to take bacon out of the mouths of the masses. Although, like me, they probably eat too much of it.:blush:

I agree.

Want to say more, but I will stop right there.  

I am pretty stressed out, so I would end up in the cheaper soylent green when my end comes.

I am economizing, so I don't splurge on the good stuff often at all.  I will buy grassfed hamburger at Trader Joe's where it costs $1 more per pound.  I get ground beef maybe once a month or so, so that extra buck is not so onerous. 

I sometimes go through lots of eggs, 3 a day at times.  I will spend the $4/dozen for pasture-raised eggs at TJ's instead of the chickens crammed 36 to a bathtub or somesuch for $1.99/dozen.   Affordable luxury, that, and I don't feel so bad about jamming them in beak-to-butt until the chickens die. 

If I eat bacon a little less often so some filthy pigs can snort free until their demise, I am fine with that, so be it.  Animals, while their lot in life is to feed us fat heathens, shouldn't be stressed about having  only 6 square inches to themselves their whole lives.  

• Hugs 1

20 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Sheesh. They made all that noise out there and suddenly Panera drops ham from the menu. That fixes the problem, right?

...I hope they don't follow this up with dropping the pecan sticky buns, because they can't find humanely raised and harvested pecans. :(

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I am pretty stressed out, so I would end up in the cheaper soylent green when my end comes.

I am economizing, so I don't splurge on the good stuff often at all.  I will buy grassfed hamburger at Trader Joe's where it costs $1 more per pound.  I get ground beef maybe once a month or so, so that extra buck is not so onerous. 

I sometimes go through lots of eggs, 3 a day at times.  I will spend the $4/dozen for pasture-raised eggs at TJ's instead of the chickens crammed 36 to a bathtub or somesuch for $1.99/dozen.   Affordable luxury, that, and I don't feel so bad about jamming them in beak-to-butt until the chickens die. 

If I eat bacon a little less often so some filthy pigs can snort free until their demise, I am fine with that, so be it.  Animals, while their lot in life is to feed us fat heathens, shouldn't be stressed about having  only 6 square inches to themselves their whole lives.  

We buy bacon maybe 3 times a year.  It is terrible for us. This is not a big deal to me.  I would prefer safer meat from humanely treated animals.  Gosh, if you lived closer, I could get you backyard eggs for about $3.  Sometimes I open the carton and there is a feather on it.  :wub:  

additional cost for the partial cow:

a chest freezer & electricity to run it

stress due to concern of losing power, resulting in a generator system :mellow:

The price per pound was good, but very large $ outlay right at slaughter

Where does one keep a chest freezer in a small place anyway?  

I do like having an array of cuts to play with.  

15 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

One doesn't.  I am still a pawn and dependent upon the supply chain.

Yup.  For most people this is not even feasible.  Mostly because of locale.  Where would one in your area even buy a steer?  I have a friend.  they gave us a significant deal and the cow lived about 30 minutes from me.  I never met it.  :D Dennis (the name of the rancher) said "No.  You do not want to meet your cow."  I think he underestimated how I can turn that off pretty easily.   I was a duck plucker at home.  Not a big deal.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Speaking of tofu eating vegans, what is the latest on the MIL from hell?

Leaving Friday thank god!  She has been OK this time around, she’s totally absorbed with the widow and has her nose in her phone most of the time or is on lengthy calls with him.

My kids don’t even come around anymore as she’s so self absorbed she is pretty much clueless to anyone else in the room.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

14 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Leaving Friday thank god!  She has been OK this time around, she’s totally absorbed with the widow and has her nose in her phone most of the time or is on lengthy calls with him.

My kids don’t even come around anymore as she’s so self absorbed she is pretty much clueless to anyone else in the room.  

This is a definite win!

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

My wife eats an obscene amount of bacon, enough for 3 people.

...how much is that, in slices per week ? Without a slice of bacon in the pan, flavoring them up a little bit, I would probably eat fewer Brussels sprouts. As it is now, with them in season, I'm knocking back about two pounds weekly of those things. They are delicious, braised with bacon and fresh garlic, in olive oil.

• Heart 1

25 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...how much is that, in slices per week ? Without a slice of bacon in the pan, flavoring them up a little bit, I would probably eat fewer Brussels sprouts. As it is now, with them in season, I'm knocking back about two pounds weekly of those things. They are delicious, braised with bacon and fresh garlic, in olive oil.

No idea, she gets some nice stuff delivered, it's rather thick.

@SpeedDemon, tell the man what he needs to know.

• Thank You 1