Aw Shucks! Is Jsharr Our Expert Now????

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by Kzoo,

This is NOT good news if he is!

What Is Mexican Food? A Nevada Court Has the Tricky Job of Deciding

A Las Vegas shopping center landlord is asking a judge to weigh in on a culinary conundrum that has two restaurants at odds: What is Mexican food?

The dishes in question come from salad chain Chop Stop, which has a location at the shopping center. There’s the Viva Mexico Chop salad, topped with black beans, jalapeños, tomatoes, cheddar cheese, chicken and tortilla strips, and the Santa Fe Chop, with avocados, roasted corn and Pepper Jack cheese. Also at issue is the Chopurrito, a bowl with rice, beans, salsa and up to six toppings.

Cafe Rio, a neighboring fast-casual Mexican chain, has argued in court filings that Chop Stop’s offerings violate a provision in its lease that no other restaurant in the same shopping center can make more than 10% of its sales from Mexican or Tex-Mex food. Chop Stop has said in response that its menu items are generic offerings that don’t belong in any culinary category.

The result has been a grand showdown over the nature of food, culture and salad ingredients—or what chef and food consultant Sofia Sada Cervantes called “deconstructed Mexican salad symbolism.”

The court fight began in 2020 after Cafe Rio invoked a lease provision to cut its rent in half for up to a year if the 10% stipulation was violated and neither the restaurant with the allegedly Mexican dishes nor the landlord took action. Court records show that Cafe Rio began withholding 50% of its rent for its 2,800-square-foot space in September 2020.

The restaurants’ landlord, Dynamic Town Square Las Vegas LLC, filed the case, formally known as a complaint for declaratory relief, in December 2020, after months of discussions among the parties. A lawyer for the landlord, Jeffrey Adelman, declined to disclose the amount of the rent.

In November of that year, according to a filing from Dynamic Town Square, Chop Stop “made certain changes to its menu and provided Cafe Rio with documentation that the only ‘two potentially questionable salads…are less than 10% of its sales.’ ” The court filing doesn’t detail the menu changes. Cafe Rio continued to argue that the salad shop was violating its lease.

Hector Carbajal, a lawyer for Chop Stop, declined to comment on the case. A lawyer for Cafe Rio didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Mr. Adelman said the landlord is just a bystander in the dispute.

“I don’t know and frankly I don’t know who does know what legally defines Mexican food,” he said. “They can fight it out.”

Chefs and culinary researchers say defining Mexican food, or any other ethnic cuisine, is a challenge, but the answer can often be found in the ingredients.

61Si-xAxGZL._SX399_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

...Mexican food is what I eat from Tijuana to points south. I can't even always make it at home, because it's hard to find good tortillas, and I'm too lazy to make them.

There's really only one restaurant in Sacramento I know of where they offer traditional Mexican food....maybe two.  All the other places make you want to drive to Tijuana. :(

• Heart 1

...Diana Kennedy is a goddess of Mexican culinary art, you pathetic Philistine.

Diana Kennedy

Diana Kennedy is an international ambassador of authentic Mexican cuisine, having committed her life to its preservation and protection. She has published nine cookbooks to international acclaim, and won the James Beard Award in 2011 for Oaxaca al Gusto. In 1982, Diana was decorated with an Order of the Aztec Eagle from the Mexican government for propagating the cuisine and tourism of Mexico. She also received a Member of the Order of the British Empire in 2002 for strengthening cultural ties between Mexico and the United Kingdom. Diana is also a 2014 inductee into the James Beard Cookbook Hall of Fame. 

When Diana Kennedy arrived in Mexico in the early 1950s from the United Kingdom, she realized a need to preserve the wealth of native ingredients and traditional recipes that were being lost to the migration of Mexican farmers to more urban, industrial livelihoods. She began documenting everything she found in villages, markets, and homes across the country, compelled by a fascination with Mexico’s rich culinary tapestry. Over the course of nearly sixty years, Diana traversed the country, meticulously researching, documenting, and mastering the culinary styles of each region. Now, these traditions are collectively designated as a World Cultural Heritage by UNESCO.

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm waiting for "The Art of Japanese Cooking" by Don K Pow! He's well versed in all things Japanese.

It's on my list. I've been swamped lately. With all the "woke" individuals and in a cancel culture, I have taken on the enormous task of examining the heritage of each of Charlie Chan's children. There is some speculation that his honorable wife engaged in a short affair with the detective assistant Kashimoto but was able to hide the fact from her venerable husband. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, donkpow said:

It's on my list. I've been swamped lately. With all the "woke" individuals and in a cancel culture, I have taken on the enormous task of examining the heritage of each of Charlie Chan's children. There is some speculation that his honorable wife engaged in a short affair with the detective assistant Kashimoto but was able to hide the fact from her venerable husband. 

if he had venerable disease, then I don't blame her for having an affair!!!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, donkpow said:

NotNowCato

...my advice would be to find yourself an assistant, like Cato.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, donkpow said:

It's why you're on all the important task forces.  And, unlike a Brit, you have taste buds!

• Hugs 1

8 hours ago, Dottles said:

I've been to Tijuana.  Sad place.

...you need a guide to find the most excellent restaurants, you pinche gringo. One good test is to ask if they have quail on the menu. Also, the better places usually serve some version of roasted goat.  Or you could ask to sample the mole' sauce.  A good mole' sauce is a reasonably accurate test of the capability of the kitchen.

This all presumes you know what a good mole' tastes like, pinche gringo