How long ago is “a long time ago”?

Mr. Silly

Obviously it depends on the issue but I think my dividing line is around 1980 or 81 when I graduated high school.  Events that happened while I was in grade school all seem a long time ago.  The prominent music is old, the quality of the film used in movies and TV wasn’t as sharp.  If you ask me about a song or music from the ‘80’s I tend to think, ‘oh, that’s new band’ or if it’s a ‘70’s band I think, “oh, that’s some of their newer stuff”.  To me, “Another one bites the dust” is one of Queen’s newer songs.

The 1980’s demarcation between old and resent works for politics too.  Carter dealt with issues resulting from the Cold War (a ‘60’s issue), fallout from Viet Nam (a ‘60’s and ‘70s issue) and Iran (an issue that started in the ‘50’s and was significant in the ‘70s).  Issues I relate to Reagan include Afghanistan and privatization of government functions which are issues that are relevant today.

I notice big technology changes starting in the ‘80s too.  Automatic ATM Teller Machines start becoming common, broadcast TV started getting some competition from subscription TV and cable and it was pretty clear to me that computers were going to be influential in everyone’s life although I couldn’t have guessed how.

So I am thinking “a long time ago” starts around 1980.

well, when I was in school, we didn't even have the phrase "old school". All we had was just "school"

but I think of a long time ago as being, well, a long time ago

long enough that we can't rightly recollect the year it was

I find that it is best measured by what wasn't there. Like when you go on a Sunday drive with your granddad and he points out all the things that weren't there while he's breaking down for you the many problems with your generation.

Growing up -- before I was 18 -- I would have said the olden days started around '65.  Before then The Beetles had stupid bowl haircuts and women wore a lot of hairspray.   Most TV shows, war footage and photos were in black and white.  The pre '65 world was a black and white world.