Our hospital is full

Dirtyhip
Go to solution Solved by jsharr,

There are no available beds for car accident victims, or any other people that need urgent medical care.  Someone locally needed care last weekend.  They sent them home as they could not care for them.  That person died at home.  

We are seeing a scenario of what we were warned about.  Covid Unit has the most patients it has ever had.  62% of the people in the unit are non-vaccinated.  16% are boosted.  

:(

• Sad 1

Weird. It seems to have peaked here a long time ago.  I live next to a hospital and see the wait times for the ER, and generally those are below 10 min.  Not sure how that ties to beds in use - especially ER or ICU - but at least you can get seen relatively quickly still.

8 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

The way to get seen right away is to come by ambulance, no waiting. If you don’t come by ambulance try coming in experiencing chest pain or with a head injury and you’re dripping blood on their floor. I know all the tricks to get fast service.

They are doing triage.  But if there are sick people in all the beds, you lie in wait at the er.  Seriously.  

We are a small area with one hospital.  The problem is not only beds but med staff to care for people in them.  

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Weird. It seems to have peaked here a long time ago.  I live next to a hospital and see the wait times for the ER, and generally those are below 10 min.  Not sure how that ties to beds in use - especially ER or ICU - but at least you can get seen relatively quickly still.

From what I am told, the deaths come slightly later than peak.  No idea.

Another aspect is that we just have tons of very sick people right now.  Is it possible that people put off their health for a year and now we are seeing the effects?  No idea.  I have never seen our hospital like this.  

5 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

Omicron hit fast, spread fast, taxed our hospital system for a short time and then as fast as it hit, it is receding.  Numbers are dropping across the board, new cases, hospitalizations, deaths, are all down.   

Excellent.

2785 died in the USA from it yesterday.  The deaths do not seem to be dropping so fast yet.    

9 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Excellent.

2785 died in the USA from it yesterday.  The deaths do not seem to be dropping so fast yet.    

Like you said earlier the deaths tend to hit a couple of weeks later which is consistent with our trending.  

Covid is dropping rapidly in my area too but different areas are at different stages of the surge. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Like you said earlier the deaths tend to hit a couple of weeks later which is consistent with our trending.  

Covid is dropping rapidly in my area too but different areas are at different stages of the surge. 

I really hope that things will get better from here.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Excellent.

Hospitalization numbers always trail daily new case numbers and death numbers always trail hospitalizations.  Our average daily new case numbers in Michigan have dropped from 17,208 2 weeks ago to 4,850 (yesterday's numbers).

Preventable deaths are unfortunate.  Have you compared your number of 2785 a day to other preventable deaths?

5 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Hospitalization numbers always trail daily new case numbers and death numbers always trail hospitalizations.  Our average daily new case numbers in Michigan have dropped from 17,208 2 weeks ago to 4,850 (yesterday's numbers).

Preventable deaths are unfortunate.  Have you compared your number of 2785 a day to other preventable deaths?

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:

Heart disease: 696,962

Cancer: 602,350

COVID-19: 350,831

Accidents (unintentional injuries): 200,955

Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 160,264

Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 152,657

Alzheimer’s disease: 134,242

Diabetes: 102,188

Influenza and Pneumonia: 53,544

Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 52,547

When those annual numbers are divided by 365, none tops covid in 2022 so far.

Numbers are from 2020

15 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Excellent.

The number of deaths sucks.  They were down around 1500 per day prior to Omicron and hopefully will be back to that level soon.  The data I am seeing shows a peak a few days ago and a decline in deaths currently.  Not trying to minimize, trying to show some hope from the numbers.

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I do not know how to do this.  Living seems to be a co-morbitity with this.  

So, a person with cancer gets covid and dies.  Yes, they had cancer, and I am certain that the virus did not help.  Could they have lived longer if they didn't catch covid?  I believe that is the question here.  

This is why I still will remain respectful and a rule follower in the hospital and otherwise.  

Flu deaths have significantly dropped. It seems that rubbing up against each other and coughing in each other's faces was not a good thing.  

Please, don't make this tread ugly.

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I really hope that things will get better from here.

Yeah me too.  My company is planning to return more departments to in office. The protocols are for the most part being followed but we have exposures nearly weekly. 

We are just learning to live with it and are carrying on with our lives it seems.

• Hugs 1

Something to ponder. A few years back (pre-covid) I read an article that forecasted a problem in the med system because of the large generation of boomers aging out of their med jobs and others needing more care than was available.  It is plausible that we didn't invest enough in new hospitals or expanding them for this scenario.  

The people in the hospital are not just due to covid.  There were many that left their jobs during the pandemic.  Like, maybe they were close to retirement age and they just said, screw it. 

There are many factors at play here. 

19 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:

Heart disease: 696,962

Cancer: 602,350

COVID-19: 350,831

Accidents (unintentional injuries): 200,955

Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 160,264

Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 152,657

Alzheimer’s disease: 134,242

Diabetes: 102,188

Influenza and Pneumonia: 53,544

Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 52,547

When those annual numbers are divided by 365, none tops covid in 2022 so far.

Numbers are from 2020

Many of these can overlap too.  It's complicated. 

21 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah me too.  My company is planning to return more departments to in office. The protocols are for the most part being followed but we have exposures nearly weekly. 

We are just learning to live with it and are carrying on with our lives it seems.

We are back to full time, everyone in the office.  Only one employee, who is contract, refused to comeback and is currently working remotely.   When Omicron hit, about 60% of us got it, primarily those who had not gotten one of the other variants.  Now, everyone here has had it.  I believe everyone here is vaccinated.  I do not mask in the office, but I do mask out of the office in common areas of our building and I have become for mindful of my practices and diligent in my hand washing.  

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

We are back to full time, everyone in the office.  Only one employee, who is contract, refused to comeback and is currently working remotely.   When Omicron hit, about 60% of us got it, primarily those who had not gotten one of the other variants.  Now, everyone here has had it.  I believe everyone here is vaccinated.  I do not mask in the office, but I do mask out of the office in common areas of our building and I have become for mindful of my practices and diligent in my hand washing.  

You are a good egg.

There are many that refuse the mask in common areas.  Few follow our guidelines where I work.  People don't care.  Even when the masks come off, I will continue due to my medical issues!

I am not going to hesitate to tell people to get away from me. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Removing mask mandates is a sure sign of a lack of care for our elderly and immune deficient.

"Everybody gotta die sometime". 

Lives of others don't seem worth some small amount of inconvenience or caution among some folks still.  It remains free, easy, and safe to get vaccinated, and it remains cheap, easy, and safe to wear a mask in crowded indoor environments.  How people choose not to be considerate of others seems very indecent and makes them at least a fair bit complicit in many of the preventable deaths from covid.  But hey, other people don't matter, right?  :wacko:

• Awesome 1

Sorry to hear the situation at your hospital DH..  I think the toll is especially hard in less dense areas where there aren't other hospitals to even out surges.  The numbers are decreasing here ,and one of the doctors mentioned on the radio that a lot of the covid cases at the hospital now are people who came in for some other reason siuch as an accident but also tested positive.   I hope the numbers go down in your area soon.  It's scary for people who may have other health emergencies.

• Thank You 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby said:

and one of the doctors mentioned on the radio that a lot of the covid cases at the hospital now are people who came in for some other reason siuch as an accident but also tested positive. 

NY State started categorizing COVID cases about a month ago as "Admitted for COVID" and "Admitted 'with' COVID"  Something the new Governor required of hospitals.   The first stats. I saw, something like 60% of COVID cases in NYS were admitted for something else and tested positive while in the hospital - Admitted with COVID not because of COVID.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Sorry to hear the situation at your hospital DH..  I think the toll is especially hard in less dense areas where there aren't other hospitals to even out surges.  The numbers are decreasing here ,and one of the doctors mentioned on the radio that a lot of the covid cases at the hospital now are people who came in for some other reason siuch as an accident but also tested positive.   I hope the numbers go down in your area soon.  It's scary for people who may have other health emergencies.

This is exactly the scenario.  

...and there is just a ton of very sick and dying people here.  Covid has put a spotlight on an already strained system. 

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

NY State started categorizing COVID cases about a month ago as "Admitted for COVID" and "Admitted 'with' COVID"  Something the new Governor required of hospitals.   The first stats. I saw, something like 60% of COVID cases in NYS were admitted for something else and tested positive while in the hospital - Admitted with COVID not because of COVID.

I wonder how many had to stay longer because of covid.   The concept that those being admitted to the hospital for something else might be the weakest among us seems to be glossed over in this.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, jsharrwick said:

How many employees do you have?   We RTO’d about 1,000 and having another 7K still working from home.  We have a huge employee base/very high risk of exposure…

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

How many employees do you have?   We RTO’d about 1,000 and having another 7K still working from home.  We have a huge employee base/very high risk of exposure…

11 full time in our office.  Three times that work remote, mostly on contract basis as moderators and instructors on our website.

• Heart 1

46 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Flip that statistic to 60% admitted for Covid, and the rest admitted with covid and it is more accurate.  It is an important distinction, and necessary to make and to have the actual numbers to get a real handle on how rampant covid is, and also to track fatalities and long covid.  True stats are important, and you only get that with true data, which you only get by testing.

Since undetected covid represents a huge risk to already hospitalized patients and staff (people always seem to forget about staff and their families/comorbidities), you simply have to test everyone coming into the hospital system and put hospitalized patients where they are least likely to infect others in the hospital.

Anyway, I have noticed some ignorant nutcases see the "Admitted because" and "admitted with" distinction and go "Oooh, the smoking gun, the _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ are trying to make everything out to be covid!", and "not on my flat earth they aren't!".  One can only hope that real education with the actual stats, things eventually sink in, especially since 83% of all ICU beds are full with patients "admitted because" of covid, that large majority unvaccinated.  Still.

32 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Flip that statistic to 60% admitted for Covid, and the rest admitted with covid and it is more accurate.  It is an important distinction, and necessary to make and to have the actual numbers to get a real handle on how rampant covid is, and also to track fatalities and long covid.  True stats are important, and you only get that with true data, which you only get by testing.

Since undetected covid represents a huge risk to already hospitalized patients and staff (people always seem to forget about staff and their families/comorbidities), you simply have to test everyone coming into the hospital system and put hospitalized patients where they are least likely to infect others in the hospital.

Anyway, I have noticed some ignorant nutcases see the "Admitted because" and "admitted with" distinction and go "Oooh, the smoking gun, the _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ are trying to make everything out to be covid!", and "not on my flat earth they aren't!".  One can only hope that real education with the actual stats, things eventually sink in, especially since 83% of all ICU beds are full with patients "admitted because" of covid, that large majority unvaccinated.  Still.

Ahhhh.  Are you trying to indicate a difference between the ICU and the rest of the hospital in response to this new spin data point?

• Haha 1

Interesting chart on causes of death.  Quite likely, the heart disease number could be cut in half simply with lifestyle changes.  Same with stroke and some types of diabetes.   Cancer, does have a preventable percentage, but most of that prevention had to happen years prior.  We are working on reducing carcinogens.   Accidents - we're doing pretty good with safety, but there will always be "hold my beer" causes.  Flu? A lot of other countries do better with - uh oh - masking.

I read some assessments from foreign health organizations, noting that the mess of the private US healthcare system - insurance requirements, lack of health coverage, profit driven care - are part of the reason we've fared so poorly with COVID.  But that's another close to P&R thread.

Around here, we're back to pre-Thanksgiving case numbers, trending rapidly downward.  Restrictions are scheduled to be lifted in  a couple weeks.  I agree with this.  With case numbers low, the risk of transmission is low.  I'll put on a mask in places I don't feel comfortable, but I won't have a problem if others choose not to.  Until the next wave, then we'll need restrictions again.  Fauci seems to think we're moving out of pandemic into endemic this summer or so.

52 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Yeah I had that backwards.  My number came from memory on the initial reports the first part of January.  Looking at the Google and a Jan 8th report (I think the first numbers NYS released) the With Covid number was 42%.  And yes it is important to understand all the data.  That 42% represents a portion of the general public that has Covid and does not know it (or at least a portion - and that could be analyzed as well).

I can tell you that Daughter#1 and her husband had it very early in the cycle (early 2020) but did not seek treatment (followed CDC quarantine advice).  Daughter#3 had it the second week of January (home tested) and never went for a PCR test.  WoKzoo had it about 3 weeks ago and took home tests until symptoms went away and negative home test.  I did the same thing a little over a week ago.  None of our results are in any data base.

1 hour ago, 12string said:

Interesting chart on causes of death.  Quite likely, the heart disease number could be cut in half simply with lifestyle changes.  Same with stroke and some types of diabetes.   Cancer, does have a preventable percentage, but most of that prevention had to happen years prior.  We are working on reducing carcinogens.   Accidents - we're doing pretty good with safety, but there will always be "hold my beer" causes.  Flu? A lot of other countries do better with - uh oh - masking.

I read some assessments from foreign health organizations, noting that the mess of the private US healthcare system - insurance requirements, lack of health coverage, profit driven care - are part of the reason we've fared so poorly with COVID.  But that's another close to P&R thread.

Around here, we're back to pre-Thanksgiving case numbers, trending rapidly downward.  Restrictions are scheduled to be lifted in  a couple weeks.  I agree with this.  With case numbers low, the risk of transmission is low.  I'll put on a mask in places I don't feel comfortable, but I won't have a problem if others choose not to.  Until the next wave, then we'll need restrictions again.  Fauci seems to think we're moving out of pandemic into endemic this summer or so.

I still believe that your mask is to protect others and they're mask is to protect you.  Somehow in the last few months this has been spun around the other way as if it's the non mask wearers who are only risking themselves.  IMO this is still a social problem where everyone is in it for the good of everyone else, unless of course they simply don't care about anyone else.

Yes, I'm still angry about all the shit that was memed back in 2020 about letting the oldies and the sick just die.

It is disturbing this year and big part of 2021, there were fringe anti-mask, anti-vaccine mandate groups criticizing /protesting at the hospitals...which has happened even recently in big Canadian cities..the truck convoy in downtown Toronto especially have to be held blocked with barriers by the police.  It's very sick compare to beginning of the  pandemic in 2020.  

5 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

It is disturbing this year and big part of 2021, there were fringe anti-mask, anti-vaccine mandate groups criticizing /protesting at the hospitals...which has happened even recently in big Canadian cities..the truck convoy in downtown Toronto especially have to be held blocked with barriers by the police.  It's very sick compare to beginning of the  pandemic in 2020.  

People are fatigued.  Also, we have short attention spans.

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Still they don't need to blame health care workers for restrictions...especially if they aren't sick in bed at hospital.  I understand the patient suffering while in hospital bed...

Agreed.  I am sure there are multiple factors at play.  Family members may not agree with mask wearing, they are stressed about hospital prices and wait times, they are tired of the pandemic and may not even believe it is a real thing.  There are people here that believe the hospital fakes the numbers to get $.  

It is so complicated with so many branches of the problem.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

No matter how this is spun or seen, we are in crisis mode here.  

I know "someone" that works in the hospital and all they hear is "get em out...get em out," as the ER stacks up.  People are so angry and mean to hospital staff.  The whole thing sucks.

Question.  Has your hospital grown at pace with your community?  Are there other factors at play here?  This graphic shows very few Oregon hospitals at over 90%.  Could patients be transferred?

https://data.statesmanjournal.com/covid-19-hospital-capacity/oregon/41/

10 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

Question.  Has your hospital grown at pace with your community?  Are there other factors at play here?  This graphic shows very few Oregon hospitals at over 90%.  Could patients be transferred?

https://data.statesmanjournal.com/covid-19-hospital-capacity/oregon/41/

They built a new building in the last three years.  It is a teaching unit over there, from what I understand.

As far as that question, you will have to ask the powers in charge.  I don't know the answer to that.   

Population is growing and housing starts are up. You may have point to address. 

Staffing is a problem, I do know that.  

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I still believe that your mask is to protect others and they're mask is to protect you.  Somehow in the last few months this has been spun around the other way as if it's the non mask wearers who are only risking themselves. 

Agreed.  I saw this mind shift several months ago - and still scratch my head.  Somehow a mask, meant to restrict a person from spouting virus crap all over others when anything came out of their mouth, got turned into a piece of personal protection.  Your mask does nothing to stop virus crap spewed by others from entering your mouth or nose after removing your mask and touching your face with your filthy hands.

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Agreed.  I saw this mind shift several months ago - and still scratch my head.  Somehow a mask, meant to restrict a person from spouting virus crap all over others when anything came out of their mouth, got turned into a piece of personal protection.  Your mask does nothing to stop virus crap spewed by others from entering your mouth or nose after removing your mask and touching your face with your filthy hands.

It depends on the mask type, and the fit. A fitted N95 is literally a “personal protective device”. Unfitted N95 or KN95 still do a better job at protecting the wearer than the cloth of fabric versions. But yes, hand and other hygiene habits matter hugely, too.