Does your heartrate change based on your riding position?

Square Wheels
Go to solution Solved by Dirtyhip,

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

My heartrate is very low in some riding positions.

Seriously however, is it possible that you make less power when upright and have to work harder to maintain the goal.

I think we certainly use different muscle groups in different percentages as we shift position.  Different muscles are likely different in efficiencies, so it may require the body to work a little harder for the same power output?  

I only ride outside, so I always chalk results from positioning changes to changes in aerodynamics, but it likely is a whole host of things at play.  

• Solution
Spoiler

Sitting up straight engages core.  You are working harder here.  It is possible that when you use the other positions, you are slumping and not working as hard.  Think of slumping as taking it lazy.  I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.  Please mark this solved.

• Heart 1

Yeah, uphill it goes faster, downhill it goes slower.

Actually, I'm at the age where really high heart rates are a thing of the past.

At my age, 149 bpm is supposed to be my "rule of thumb" max. heart rate: 220 - age in years.

It's been as fast as 167 in recent years, so I call it 160 and set my Garmin Edge 530 to beep if it hits 90% of that, 144.

If the Garmin beeps its warning, I slow down or take a break.

For most of my rides when I'm in shape, its usually around 80%, 128.  We'll see when I get back to regular rides this Spring.

I am able to slow my heart rate down a little by willing it to do so, due to decades of running.  Once, before an Achilles tendon operation, a young nurse was concerned that my heart rate appeared a little erratic and informed an older nurse.  She asked me, "Are you a runner?"

When I said yes, she said, "Think your heart a little slower."  I did and the young nurse, looking at the monitor, gasped, "He's slowing his heart down!"  The thought was NOT actually directed at my heart, more about calming myself and breathing slower - an old racing tactic to catch my 2nd wind when climbing hills - and it works.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

I am amazed and impressed at the details.  I don't even know how fast I ride these days. Just too frustrated with the upkeep of the devices.  I lose a Garmin and want to cry my eyes out.  It isn't sustainable for me monetarily or otherwise.

Garmin gives too much data, but I like to look at different parts of it at times.  It slightly shapes how I exercise.  I NEVER sit up and ride outside.  All it takes is a small acorn to knock you off your bike if you're not holding on.

I have a Garmin 1000, I'll replace it this year, or next (I need a job first).  When I do, if you're still in need of one, I'll send it to you.

37 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Garmin gives too much data, but I like to look at different parts of it at times.  It slightly shapes how I exercise.  I NEVER sit up and ride outside.  All it takes is a small acorn to knock you off your bike if you're not holding on.

I have a Garmin 1000, I'll replace it this year, or next (I need a job first).  When I do, if you're still in need of one, I'll send it to you.

Take him up on it DH.  He sent me a Garmin a few years ago.  It's been passed on to another and it's still going strong.

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

This is unbelievably nice.  Those are like hundreds of dollars.  Hence, the tears.  I threw my last one into the forest.  :(

All that roller work makes your balance fantastic.  You won't crash on an acorn.  Are you serious that you never ride outside?  I never ride inside.  

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

This is unbelievably nice.  Those are like hundreds of dollars. 

The one I want is about 6, the 1000 I have is not in production any longer, but still really good for someone who doesn't have one.

I threw my last one into the forest.  :(  

Silly woman.

Are you serious that you never ride outside?  I never ride inside.  

In the winter, yes.  I only ride on the road.  It's on an off ice here lately.  I prefer to ride outside, but ride in the basement during crap weather.

4 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

The one I want is about 6, the 1000 I have is not in production any longer, but still really good for someone who doesn't have one.

Silly woman.

In the winter, yes.  I only ride on the road.  It's on an off ice here lately.  I prefer to ride outside, but ride in the basement during crap weather.

I forget that others get to have winter.  

There was a frosty morning the other day, but dryish.  If the fog is in, the roads can be super slippery.  My bike slid on the pave a couple of weeks ago.  It didn't seem like ice that was too thick.  It was the paint on road surface that had just a little frozen fog,  and a turn.  Yeah, heart rate went up right there.  Kept it upright and rode slower for the remainder of the ride.  :D  Have not paid light dies this year.  Last weekend, CV bike, gravel trail.  I turned way too tight and the bike tipped.  HAHA.  I was fine, but I had to throw my Crux into the gravel.  

Flat pedals rule.