Why is string cheese stringy?

jsharr

26 minutes ago, 12string said:

Just read a cool article about Blue cheese in the Smithsonian.  Some random US law about cheese means we can never get real Roquefort, they have to send us the stuff they consider immoral. 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/how-much-longer-roquefort-reign-king-cheese-180978999/

I started liking blue cheese dressing in elementary school.  On the rare occasion we went out to eat and I could order a dinner salad with my meal, I would order Roquefort and feel all fancy and stuff.  This was in Oklahoma you see.  

The reason it is stringy is it's a properly created stretched-curd cheese and such cheeses rely upon a precise balance of minerals in the curd, acid content, and temperature. If any of these things is not just right, the stretch will be less than ideal or nonexistent.

I did some research, looked at some home cheesemaking books, it looks like some fun, though it requires a lot of small equipment (See Chapter 3 in the Table of Contents of the book I mention below) and the ingredients are inexpensive but sold in quantities that make multiple batches though most recipes start with a gallon of milk or less. The cost means it's not a do-it-one-time thing.

String cheese is always made from mozzarella cheese.

According to Caldwell, Gianaclis in his book, Mastering basic cheesemaking, the fun and fundamentals of making cheese at home c.2016:

Mozzarella is in a category of cheese called pasta filata, which is Italian for stretched or kneaded dough. Most of the cheeses in this family, such as Kashkaval, caciocavallo, and provolone, are from Mediterranean countries. Latin American countries also produce traditional cheeses in this group, including Oaxaca, which is formed into a beautiful skein that you unroll as you use the cheese. Stretched-curd cheeses rely upon a precise balance of minerals in the curd, acid content, and temperature. If any of these things is not just right, the stretch will be less than ideal or nonexistent.

image.thumb.png.16cb5a94b9825ffb1c840d0651568826.png

image.thumb.png.539df820c2bfec022029fed848156c87.png

image.thumb.png.c7c419eead5b1dfac90c7991bbd85ccc.png