Draggin' out organizational change

shootingstar

For past 12 months, employees have been told of  new organizational structure..in phased communication. So far in 2022, senior management seems to know, but not clear when it will happen. Some murky clouds where many employees just don't know for certain where/to whom they will reporting. It affects at least 40% of organization for a workforce of 12,000.

While top dog, giving the truth all at same time when organizational change and start dates to happen, can be shocking/upsetting, it's better than months of worry, indecision to move on projects, or wondering if one still has a job, etc. Central groups like ours have to help depts., plan /provide sound direction on moving information (even if it's electronic) .... but we can't do it until our internal clients  know dates when change will happen.

So executive indecision, has a snowball effect --in reverse across an organization.

****This is opposite of what I experienced for a previous employer, where I was hired and walked to a job after a global  merger, between 2 major giant firms just happened.

Good thing I didn't know all the personalities involved and back-end skirmishes.

Don't worry about organizational changes. It's just a shell game played by upper management to look like they are doing something.

Oh! Don't throw away the old org charts. Things will probably gravitate back to something like them.

Worst org change that I ever went through was in the military. In the past the headquarters organization mirrored the units out in the various bases. So if you were in, say, maintenance training, you knew to call the maintenance training person at HQ. But for some unknown reason, they changed the org structure of the base units BUT kept HQ the same. However they decided that anyone who was at HQ over 3 years had to leave. So not only did LGT not call LGT anymore, but the person that you used to talk to wasn't there either. About a year later things were aligned back up again and after a year people knew who to call or email again.

• Heart 1

34 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Don't worry about organizational changes. It's just a shell game played by upper management to look like they are doing something.

Oh! Don't throw away the old org charts. Things will probably gravitate back to something like them.

Worst org change that I ever went through was in the military. In the past the headquarters organization mirrored the units out in the various bases. So if you were in, say, maintenance training, you knew to call the maintenance training person at HQ. But for some unknown reason, they changed the org structure of the base units BUT kept HQ the same. However they decided that anyone who was at HQ over 3 years had to leave. So not only did LGT not call LGT anymore, but the person that you used to talk to wasn't there either. About a year later things were aligned back up again and after a year people knew who to call or email again.

That does seem very strange to base staffing strictly on short years of service in HQ.  I was told parts of  organizational change appears to what it was 20 yrs. ago. Other parts is  renaming for an expanded or slightly reduced dept.  Some parts are completely redone

I'm  not against organizational change...it should not be  kept "secret" for  so long. It slows work effort and causes corporate dysfunction /worry.

And oh yes, 600+ people retired last yr..which is pretty high.

18 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My company like our industry can turn on a dime & does often.  The CEO has realigned and reorged numerous times in my 4 years. 

Often times it’s this person is gone, you report to that person now go! 

When I joined my present employer 11 yrs. ago, I was with another dept. I  joined when it just got renamed and slightly restructures. Then it got renamed again 3 yrs. later. 

Now it will be renamed slightly ...and reduced, 'cause certain divisions will be merged into other depts. Coincidentally I was just invited to a meeting next wk. be a resource on certain corporate-wide systems impacting the dept. I left.

I currently work for a business unit that was renamed 3 yrs. ago...we have undergone 9 staff changes in same time period. We are less 3 staff ..all not surprising since some  were temporary project team folks.

Can govn't change?  It sure does, but might take longer. Massive retirements can help a restructuring.

I don't find all of this super new, since it happened in other government organizations in other provinces where I've worked.  As I said I walked into a national job role after a  private sector global merger of 2 firms.

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

When I joined my present employer 11 yrs. ago, I was with another dept. I  joined when it just got renamed and slightly restructures. Then it got renamed again 3 yrs. later. 

Now it will be renamed slightly ...and reduced, 'cause certain divisions will be merged into other depts. Coincidentally I was just invited to a meeting next wk. be a resource on certain corporate-wide systems impacting the dept. I left.

I currently work for a business unit that was renamed 3 yrs. ago...we have undergone 9 staff changes in same time period. We are less 3 staff ..all not surprising since some  were temporary project team folks.

Can govn't change?  It sure does but might take longer.

I tease but do understand the public sector does change.  It took some getting used to where I’m at but it is really a dynamic situation that changes often. Two years ago we  hired close to 3K people and now we are cutting back staff.  

I find I don’t really document procedures for my dept as much of what I get is verbal and by the time I implement the process it has changed.  We have some common tasks but my team is always adjusting & taking on new duties.  

• Heart 1

22 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I tease but do understand the public sector does change.  It took some getting used to where I’m at but it is really a dynamic situation that changes often. Two years ago we  hired close to 3K people and now we are cutting back staff.  

I find I don’t really document procedures for my dept as much of what I get is verbal and by the time I implement the process it has changed.  We have some common tasks but my team is always adjusting & taking on new duties.  

Well, I belong to a team that documents....almost to the freakin'  nth degree.:mellow:  It's for audit purposes...and our stuff is occasionally referenced by other departments, even by external govn't parties.(usually that relates to something under question..ie. evidence...which is part of a record. :party:)