Doing some maintenance on the 150 tomorrow

Parr8hed

Just now, Square Wheels said:

If they give you a loaner, try to treat it kindly.

Ha!  The only loaner I will have is my other truck.  I'll be doing all of this myself.  Well, dad will help me.  I don't have any metric impact sockets yet so I will drive to his house to do the brakes.  He is much better at that kinda stuff than I am.  He was a machinist for over 30 years.  He has the patience, skill, and tools to deal with broken/stuck bolts nuts and parts.  

• Heart 3

7 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Ford lug nuts suck.  They swell up and have to be replaced.

Did you use Ford lug nuts, or is there an aftermarket (and non swelling) version?  Seems a crappy thing to discover on the side of a road - that you can't put a spare tire on because the lug nuts are too large!  

32 minutes ago, Zealot said:

So, I must assume you survived the turkey...?

Like @Longjohn said... I got Arby's.

29 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Did you use Ford lug nuts, or is there an aftermarket (and non swelling) version?  Seems a crappy thing to discover on the side of a road - that you can't put a spare tire on because the lug nuts are too large!  

I used Ford just because I didn't realize it until I already had the wheel off.  I keep saying I am going to order some steel ones but never have.  I will prob just put ford back on because the steel ones are all over the place on which nut fits which vehicle and with which wheels.  I mean it's a little crazy.  I never knew there were so many lug nut choices.  At least I know the ford ones fit properly.  If I can get another 100 k out of them that will put me at 300k.  Not sure my truck will still be driving at that point. 

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Hah! Some folks like to have something to tinker on in their garage.  Little jobs to do, problems to chase down, odd issues which turn into a fun adventure.  Give him his joy!

i must admit that I may not like it much at the time but few things are quite as fulfilling as tracking down a problem and repairing it on your own.  Having said that, this truck has 194K fairly trouble free miles.  I will happily stick by my Fords.  :D

• Heart 3

13 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

i must admit that I may not like it much at the time but few things are quite as fulfilling as tracking down a problem and repairing it on your own.  Having said that, this truck has 194K fairly trouble free miles.  I will happily stick by my Fords.  :D

Have owned Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota and Honda vehicles.  Honestly, mostly if you drive them well and do the maintenance, they all last. 

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Have owned Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota and Honda vehicles.  Honestly, mostly if you drive them well and do the maintenance, they all last. 

I have had Ford, Toyota and Honda and Jeep.  Agree with you.  The only "Chevy" I have had was an Old Cutlass.  Not really Chevy, but GM.  I have never owned a Dodge but I probably would.  The Cummins diesel is a great motor.

• Heart 1

Well, it didn't go as planned.  Ran worse after the plug and boot change.  Got the MAF sensors cleaned as well.  Still ran like crap.  It is gonna go to Ford now.  Hopefully it's a coil or something easy. A CEL did come on so hopefully they can read the code. 

Didn't even get a chance to do the brakes.  Had to drive the big truck to work today.  

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Well, it didn't go as planned.  Ran worse after the plug and boot change.  Got the MAF sensors cleaned as well.  Still ran like crap.  It is gonna go to Ford now.  Hopefully it's a coil or something easy. A CEL did come on so hopefully they can read the code. 

Didn't even get a chance to do the brakes.  Had to drive the big truck to work today.  

I hate when repairs don't quite go as planned.  

I had a Jeep that had three side window incidents where the plastic clips that hold them break and the glass would just drop down into the door.  I fixed the first one and the second but as soon as I closed the door when finishing up the right side, the left side window fell into the door.  Funny now but I was pissed at the time.  Wrote a really nasty email to the CEO of Chrysler/Jeep Canada and he ended up sending me a check for all three repairs and started a recall to replace them on the fleet.  Small victory. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I hate when repairs don't quite go as planned.  

I had a Jeep that had three side window incidents where the plastic clips that hold them break and the glass would just drop down into the door.  I fixed the first one and the second but as soon as I closed the door when finishing up the right side, the left side window fell into the door.  Funny now but I was pissed at the time.  Wrote a really nasty email to the CEO of Chrysler/Jeep Canada and he ended up sending me a check for all three repairs and started a recall to replace them on the fleet.  Small victory. 

Wow.  You swing a lot of weight there!

Yea, I hate being without my truck.  And I hate the price of repairs.  But the worst part is just getting it over there and picking it up once it's done.  PITA.  But it's paid for for a while now.  I will deal with the occasional repair bill VS a new 1000 dollar a month truck payment.  Truck prices are CRAZY right now.  

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

Wow.  You swing a lot of weight there!

Yea, I hate being without my truck.  And I hate the price of repairs.  But the worst part is just getting it over there and picking it up once it's done.  PITA.  But it's paid for for a while now.  I will deal with the occasional repair bill VS a new 1000 dollar a month truck payment.  Truck prices are CRAZY right now.  

When you prorate the cost of repairs over the years of ownership, it is normally not too bad. 

• Heart 2