Ain't It The Truth!

Razors Edge

Got head hunted for a principal analytics engineer position they we asking for 10+ years of Tableau and 5 years of DBT.
Small problem; Tableau is barely a decade old (released 2013 4th qt) and DBT cloud came out in 2019 and it's core 1.0 release dropped last year. I interviewed for shits and giggles; they didn't even have these products in their tech stack. They want a SME to implement a program for them. At about a 30% less than a principal engineer should be making and 5% less than I'm making now where I have half the responsibility . 

But; the exposure! It's be a learning experience! 

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

Got head hunted for a principal analytics engineer position they we asking for 10+ years of Tableau and 5 years of DBT.
Small problem; Tableau is barely a decade old (released 2013 4th qt) and DBT cloud came out in 2019 and it's core 1.0 release dropped last year. I interviewed for shits and giggles; they didn't even have these products in their tech stack. They want a SME to implement a program for them. At about a 30% less than a principal engineer should be making and 5% less than I'm making now where I have half the responsibility . 

But; the exposure! It's be a learning experience! 

Yeah, we periodically have positions open similar to ones of others on the team.  I often chuckle at the sort "expectations" listed, and figure it is a hiring tactic?  Ask for the world sort of thing?

During my interview for my first industrial chemistry research job in Jan. 1977, I was asked which of two organic chemical structures would bind better to copper ions.  I had a 50:50 chance of getting it right and picked what turned out to be the right one.

The interviewer, the Vice President of Operations who had worked as a chemist on the Manhattan Project during WW2, asked me why.

I explained about partial charges on polar covalent bonds, the bond angles in sp3 and sp2 orbital bonding, and that one of the structures could present more negative charges in the right positions to attract the positive copper ions.

It turns out that when the interviewer and the other chemists on staff had gone to college in the 1930's and 40's, they didn't know what sp3, etc. orbitals were or much about polar covalent bonds.  This chemist didn't understand my terminology but was so impressed by what sounded good and that my graduate degree was from IIT that I was hired that day.

That was when I finally realized the wisdom of the advice of one of my undergrad UMBC teachers who said, "Objectively evaluate all the grad school scholarship offers you've received, but you'd be foolish not to pick IIT.  It will open doors."