More next gen car facts from Daytona

maddmaxx

I've been watching practice and there are some more interesting details about the cars to be learned.  There is a small inlet scoop at the top of the windshield and some holes in the rear window that move air through the car to remove some of the very high heat that the drivers have had to endure.  The transmission has a sequential 5 speed shifter instead of the former 4 speed traditional h pattern.  The front and rear bumper panels are backed with foam so the bumping that occurs during raceing is not a damaging

During the clash I mentioned that teams were shimming the rear clip so that the back end of the is "off center" either to make the car steer more to the left or in the case of Daytona to "hide" the right end of the spoiler from the air passing by the car. It looks really strange when the cars are seen head on.

• Heart 3

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

And the "money is king" car fact.  The car number on the side of each car has been moved forward from the former mandatory position to allow more "real estate" for the sponsors logos.  This is necessary because the rear quarter panel is shorter than before.

I recall seeing a picture of a cup car years ago w/ arrows pointing to various areas on the car, and the cost of said areas...big money to be on the hood. Reminds of this Last Man Standing episode :D

• Heart 1