What diabetes looks like in my family

ChrisL

Just now, ChrisL said:

Just born with the freaking gene…

Have they identified a genetic component?  I would think there would definitely be some portion of cases that are tied to genes.  A gene(s) that results in insulin absorption/regulation malfunction.  It would be pretty neat if first they identified the genetic bits, and then second figured out a targeted and/or gene therapy to treat/delay/prevent it from becoming "diabetes". 

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Have they identified a genetic component?  I would think there would definitely be some portion of cases that are tied to genes.  A gene(s) that results in insulin absorption/regulation malfunction.  It would be pretty neat if first they identified the genetic bits, and then second figured out a targeted and/or gene therapy to treat/delay/prevent it from becoming "diabetes". 

I really don’t know but what I do know is 5 of the 7 of us fit the profile.  Obese and eat like crap and became diabetic in their 59’s & 60’s.   This sister & I followed a much different track and diabetes hit us harder & earlier.  

I gotta think our DNA is wired a little differently than our other siblings. 

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

I really don’t know but what I do know is 5 of the 7 of us fit the profile.  Obese and eat like crap and became diabetic in their 59’s & 60’s.   This sister & I followed a much different track and diabetes hit us harder & earlier.  

Likely all 7 that have it share the genetic bit.  Some just fit the profile, so never dug too much into why they got diabetes.  But when "normal" folks get diabetes, without the lifestyle that often leads to it, then you really need to wonder why.  My mom seemingly should be diabetic, but that's one thing she has never been diagnosed with.  Why? No idea.  Maybe that bodes well for her kids, though?  

It would be an interesting way for researchers to look at the genetic side of it - ie they have a group of siblings but with a mixture of diabetes and not, good & poor diets/exercise, and likely other similar similarities & differences they could cross compare.  Sort of similar to those twins/triplet studies but using regular siblings. Probably not as quick/easy as a twin study, but better than random strangers?

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have referenced her before but my oldest sister doesn’t fit the profile for a diabetic. She is a fit & active all of her life, is 74 YO and Type 2 since her early 40’s.  Many people associate diabetes with obesity but it hit my family particularly hard with 7 of the 9 of us diabetic. 

Like her I was in my 30’s, fit & prediabetic.  I gained weight in my 40’s, crossed the threshold and became diabetic myself.  7 of my 9 siblings are diabetic but my version of diabetes closely mirrors my oldest sisters.

Just born with the freaking gene…

12027669-386B-4016-90B6-F034B32D22FA.thumb.jpeg.6939a35d05334f862e4d2627a3c2b088.jpeg

I think I am the same way.  Dad and I have it.  No one else does.  

• Hugs 1

4 minutes ago, Zealot said:

It appears she manages her diabetes well.  I’ve seen those who do not.

I have to assume you manage yours well?

It’s a constant struggle but yeah pretty well.  My A1C has been in the high 7’s the past three tests.  It’s been as high as 13 and as low as 6.8.  

My weight has fluctuated some but it’s been around 215 for most of the past 10 years.  At 5’10’ish (sometimes I still measure 5’11”?)  it’s a good maintainable weight for me. I wear a 36” pant, LG shirt for reference.  XL t’s are are a bit baggy.

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

All interesting. Your sister @74 looks great.

Yes, I agree there is a stereotype that diabetes 1 fits a certain body stereotype/lifestyle. Probably way more people diagnosed at 2 that don't fit the stereotype.  I was diagnosed close to 2 about a decade ago. So I naturally eased out of white rice, because it was starting to make me feel just unwell. However I haven't dropped back alot other bad habits.

It would be interesting to understand for diabetes 1 tends to occur more genetic side...where the person had it since they were a child (and child was not fat). 

• Heart 1

From diabetes.org:

Type 2 diabetes

Type 2 diabetes has a stronger link to family history and lineage than type 1, and studies of twins have shown that genetics play a very strong role in the development of type 2 diabetes. Race can also play a role.

Yet it also depends on environmental factors. Lifestyle also influences the development of type 2 diabetes. Obesity tends to run in families, and families often have similar eating and exercise habits.

If you have a family history of type 2 diabetes, it may be difficult to figure out whether your diabetes is due to lifestyle factors or genetics. Most likely it is due to both. However, don’t lose heart! Studies show that it is possible to delay or prevent type 2 diabetes by exercising and losing weight.

• Heart 1