Hiking boots

Longjohn
Go to solution Solved by jsharr,

Susan wants to go hiking this weekend. I’m not a hiker, I have four pairs of running shoes and a pair of hunting boots. I went to the Boot Box this morning and they didn’t have any. The girl there said they have trouble getting them in. She suggested I try CDS. The guy there showed me the ones he liked. They didn’t come big enough. Found another brand that did. I wonder if I should wear them the rest of the week to break them in?

6169B21A-DA2B-4E95-A9C3-2FA104C56C32.jpeg.54352cdee0ca2ec58f26e496c99f63b7.jpeg

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I wonder if I should wear them the rest of the week to break them in?

Yes...   

I didn't do that in November for a hike.  I was thinking.. just how bad could it get.   New boots and not stopping to tighten up the laces when I knew I should...  (still thinking.. just how bad could it get.)   I found out how bad it could get.   I'm still waiting for both of my large toe nails to grow back to normal.   Yeah I lost both toe nails about 2 weeks after the hike.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Bikeguy said:

Yes...   

I didn't do that in November for a hike.  I was thinking.. just how bad could it get.   New boots and not stopping to tighten up the laces when I knew I should...  (still thinking.. just how bad could it get.)   I found out how bad it could get.   I'm still waiting for both of my large toe nails to grow back to normal.   Yeah I lost both toe nails about 2 wees after the hike.

How far did you hike? Susan says she likes to hike but I don’t know what she has in mind. It’s supposed to be 30°.

• Heart 2

15 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

How far did you hike?

Only 6 miles.   WoBG and I were hiking with another couple.   WoBG wanted to go for a longer distance.  We could have done that, the other couple said no.

I just ignored ALL of the warming signs my feet were telling me.  Yeah I was stupid..  :facepalm:  I've hiked longer on many vacations in the past.  I know better.   Even WoBG... told me don't wear the new boots.   Yeah my bad... 

• Heart 1

• Solution
1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Don’t wear your new boots doesn’t leave me with many options. Wear my mountain bike shoes? Maybe she will get cold a decide we have gone far enough?

Go buy a second pair right now, then the first pair will be your old boots.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Susan wants to go hiking this weekend. I’m not a hiker, I have four pairs of running shoes

I regularly "hike" in my running shoes.  I'm not sure what kind of hike Susan might be thinking of, but most walks on trails are fine in sneakers.  Get out to @denniS country and hiking boots makes more sense. Snow or mud are reasons I go to boots vs sneakers.  You probably still have both?

• Heart 1

40 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

How comfy are the new shoes?  

Maybe set your expectations of the length of the trip a little lower than planned?

They feel real comply right now.

I'm letting her decide the length of the hike.

42 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

Go buy a second pair right now, then the first pair will be your old boots.

i got the only pair of 14 X-Wide they had.

35 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Yes break them in but more important is to dirty them up so you at least look like a hiker.  :)

I’m going for a walk on Skunk road right now. That should do it.

34 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Snow or mud are reasons I go to boots vs sneakers.  You probably still have both?

Last week it was just snow, this week it might be both.

35 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

What brand of boots did you buy?

Rocky, I never heard of them but as the saying goes:”If the shoe fits wear it”.

• Heart 3

5 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

They feel real comply right now.

I'm letting her decide the length of the hike.

i got the only pair of 14 X-Wide they had.

I’m going for a walk on Skunk road right now. That should do it.

Last week it was just snow, this week it might be both.

Rocky, I never heard of them but as the saying goes:”If the shoe fits wear it”.

Good Call
Another Good Call
You know that, we know that, she does not know that.

Remember to wear thick wool socks 

I always go boots.  I like the ankle support and mine are all day comfortable.

Rocky makes good boots.  Very well known for their hunting boots.  Rocky Stalkers and Rocky Cornstalkers are the ones that I know of.

• Heart 1

58 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I regularly "hike" in my running shoes.  I'm not sure what kind of hike Susan might be thinking of, but most walks on trails are fine in sneakers.  Get out to @denniS country and hiking boots makes more sense. Snow or mud are reasons I go to boots vs sneakers.  You probably still have both?

I hike in my Hokas.

Speedgoat 4

• Heart 4
  • Envious 1

43 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Whelp the first two miles went well. When I got home I walked through the snow to get most of the mud off. My road is a mess.

4B3320AC-BACD-4FFB-9AC4-5CC659ECEEC4.jpeg.2a1aad7a3ab790157fd5b91aeac0bbe4.jpeg

This thread reminds me back in the day breaking in our Army boots.  I had terrible blisters on my heel & ankles from them damn boots. Once broken in though they were really comfortable. 

• Heart 2

6 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Susan wants to go hiking this weekend. I’m not a hiker, I have four pairs of running shoes and a pair of hunting boots. I went to the Boot Box this morning and they didn’t have any. The girl there said they have trouble getting them in. She suggested I try CDS. The guy there showed me the ones he liked. They didn’t come big enough. Found another brand that did. I wonder if I should wear them the rest of the week to break them in?

5 hours ago, Kzoo said:

yes

5 hours ago, Further said:

Yep 

You don’t want to discover they don’t fit while on a hike with Susan

You’ll be sorry if you don’t. Blisters on the trail are not your friend … especially if you’re 7 miles out. 

I have both over the ankle and below the ankle hiking boots.  I think I prefer the ones that go below.  Otherwise I lose agility and sort of become a stumble bum out on the trail.  Over the ankle is heavier too and I actually find I'm more prone to tripping with them because I don't always lift my feet as high when I'm fatigued.  But they've obviously got their benefits too.  Depending on the hike, I like the added support an over the ankle boot can provide and they sure are nice in wet weather... like crossing streams.  I learned my lesson long ago that it was better to buy an expensive waterproof boot.  I'd say that's probably the most important aspect besides maybe the soles.  You get your feet wet and it could be a looooooooooooong hiking trip of misery.  Just my 2 cents.

9 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I have both over the ankle and below the ankle hiking boots.  I think I prefer the ones that go below.  Otherwise I lose agility and sort of become a stumble bum out on the trail.  Over the ankle is heavier too and I actually find I'm more prone to tripping with them because I don't always lift my feet as high when I'm fatigued.  But they've obviously got there benefits too.  Depending on the hike, I like the added support an over the ankle boot can provide and they sure are nice in wet weather... like crossing streams.  I learned my lesson long ago that it was better to buy an expensive waterproof boot.  I'd say that's probably the most important aspect besides maybe the soles.  You get your feet wet and it could be a looooooooooooong hiking trip of misery.  Just my 2 cents.

Horses for courses!  I often bring the true hiking boots on camping/hiking vacations, but it is amazing how rarely I pull them out for the actual hike.  I often end up with my light and comfy trail running shoes, then my lightweight hiking boots, before opting for the big guns if the trail is particularly wet/muddy/snowy.  I was glad I had them up in Alaska when the snow was still deep in June (!), but also happy I could go with the lighter options when conditions in the Rockies or the Olympics were milder than expected.  

If I were LJ, I'd bring a few pairs of footwear to the hike and choose once I saw the conditions.  A cinder trail hike vs a snowy and muddy trail hike are two different beasts!

• Heart 1

On 2/16/2022 at 1:49 PM, Longjohn said:

Yes, break them in - but don't give yourself blisters doing it.  Take a tube of vaseline with you in case you need to rub some on your feet.

Depending where you're hiking, really good running shoes might be as good or better.

I looked into the 4-day hike up Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa - should I lose the weight I want and get into shape and the pandemic ends.

One piece of advice was that really good running shoes are better for doing it than boots, but that might be due to the fact you're going uphill a lot, are on trails, and have to fight altitude sickness at the top.

• Heart 2