I am confused by hot fudge

Randomguy

5 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Good hot fudge firms up soon after it hits the cold ice cream. Very little melting occurs. Much, much better than runny chocolate syrup.

I think that sums it up well.  I like both a hot fudge sundae or ice cream with a drizzle of chocolate syrup, but the HFS will be the better of the two by a noticeable margin.  Can't get a HFS? Sure, chocolate syrup will work. But if an HFS is an option, it's the better one.

• Heart 3

35 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

You're never going to be able to deal with fried ice cream then.  :whistle:

There was a place in Grand Island years ago that made the best fried ice cream! They coated the ice cream in honey, then rolled it in crushed Frosted Flakes and Red Hots. Once fried, they drizzled a little chocolate syrup over it. They closed because they were ahead of their time. They could open today with the same menu and be a huge success. 

• Heart 1

Just now, groupw said:

There was a place in Grand Island years ago that made the best fried ice cream! They coated the ice cream in honey, then rolled it in crushed Frosted Flakes and Red Hots. Once fried, they drizzled a little chocolate syrup over it. They closed because they were ahead of their time. They could open today with the same menu and be a huge success. 

Probably would need to roll bacon bits into the mix to satisfy folks nowadays.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Good hot fudge firms up soon after it hits the cold ice cream. Very little melting occurs. Much, much better than runny chocolate syrup.

I don’t eat them often but I love those chocolate dipped cones from Tastee Freeze.  The hot chocolate firms into a crunchy coating before the soft serve melts. 

• Awesome 1

23 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Was it Chi-Chi’s? As a kid I loved their fried ice cream (although I don’t think they added red hots). Damn hepatitis A closed the place due to contamination of the (green?) onions.

I remember that place!   There was one near Ft Myer we went to often.  My 21’st bday was had there.  VA changed the drinking law to 21 for beer & wine a few months before my 21st bday… I could still drink on base but was shut out from off post drinking for a few months.  We broke the dry spell at Chi Chi’s   

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

WRONG!  The last part, that is.  I do appreciate the first part, although that hasn't been my own experience.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I think that sums it up well.  I like both a hot fudge sundae or ice cream with a drizzle of chocolate syrup, but the HFS will be the better of the two by a noticeable margin.  Can't get a HFS? Sure, chocolate syrup will work. But if an HFS is an option, it's the better one.

I don't like sundaes, because I don't like whipped cream.  I think chocolate sauce is quite nice at times, though.

• Confused 1

clearly this gentleman is an authority on hot fudge and we should give his platform it's due attention. 

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

So each has it's place.  If just a bowl of ice cream, sure pour a bit of chocolate sauce on.  But in the case of a sundae, the topping can and in many cases should be warm.  Fudge, caramel and marshmallow come to mind and of course then there must be whipped cream, nuts and the requisite number of cherries, which should be at least one cherry per scoop of ice cream.

The answer above should put his issue to rest, as Mr. Herder is 100% correct.  We are talking warm, not hot really.  What you have to understand is the fudge or caramel, in it's  natural state is really a solid and heat must be applied to make it a liquid, or at least fluid enough to be pumped onto a scoop of ice cream.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

How can you say WRONG, when it is my opinion based upon my experience, that is unless you are a Pompous Ass?:whistle:

He is a pompous ass.  I know this because I am one as well and it takes one to know one.  And you are right the majority of the time.  

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

My favorite ice cream thing is a vanilla milkshake turned into chocolate with some choco sauce.  Add walnuts for crunch.  Delicious.

That was MomKirby's fave too.  Her order was always a chocolate milkshake with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup.  I don't think she ever tried the walnuts though

6 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Was it Chi-Chi’s? As a kid I loved their fried ice cream (although I don’t think they added red hots). Damn hepatitis A closed the place due to contamination of the (green?) onions.

Nope. This was locally owned. I have had Chi Chi’s. It was good but not on the level of the one I’m talking about. 

• Heart 1

After forcing myself to do a controlled taste test with ample serving of both and adding additional tests with variations with walnuts and fruits, such as bananas, the results are in. While woul;dn't turn down either, by a wide margin, hot fudge wins. It's consistency, texture and other were unmatched.

• Awesome 1