So, I finished the book Tea Girl…

MoseySusan

4 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

I liked the story. Now I’m wondering whether the tea drinkers here in The Cafe enjoy pu-erh teas. 

I do, they are meaty and malty and the best for cold weather.  They are also surprisingly nice when iced.

Some cheap ones are nice, the last time I ordered from Teasource.  McNulty's also has a good cheap one.  I have never had pricy puerh tea, though.

• Heart 2

I haven't spent  time and long enough to try all the traditional teas.

I am so far a jasmine (green) tea drinker. A  lovely stronger/quality version is actually..quite floral which I thought I wouldn't like. But when you taste one  ...it is something else. What I tried if one bought 1 lb.=$90.00 Canadian.

With black tea, straight, I'm not as keen.

• Heart 1

I bought and read an excellent history /travel book on tea growing, tea harvesting, etc. in Asia. It is an incredible, centuries long history ...like wine grape vineyard and wine production equivalent.

It included different regions, techniques of roasting to give  different grades/varieties. This includes roasting tea  for right temp., etc. in woks, etc. Generations of tea growing family will protect their  secrets of how they produce/finish off their tea leaves for unique flavours. Of course, stuff on art of tea serving and drinking.  It is a dying farming industry. I gave away my book to a friend who was running her business on local walking and cycling tours in different Chinatowns in Toronto.

When we were in Kyoto, after reading not much, I  knew I was in Japan's most premiere, centuries old region for its green teas..qualities one could never buy retail in North America. In fact, North  American market  gets the  bottom end, crumbly version of Japanese green tea (sencha, matcha, etc.)

4 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

This novel was deeply informed by all aspects of tea for the Yunnan region of China and Akha culture. PM me your address and I’ll send it to you if you’re interested. 

I had tea in Shanghai, Wuhan, Chongqing, Xian, Beijing, and points in between.

Like most Chinese tea, it was probably imported from India.

5 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Do you read non-fiction at all?  I'll have to comb through my collection...for novels.

Most of my reading is non-fiction. A thoughtful member of the Sunshine Committee sent me Tea Girl…. So, I read it, and really enjoyed the depth of context from the writer’s informed storytelling. And not just about pu’er tea. The plot line about adoption was on point, as well. 

13 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I had tea in Shanghai, Wuhan, Chongqing, Xian, Beijing, and points in between.

Like most Chinese tea, it was probably imported from India.

It  wouldn;t be surprising tea farms are threatened in  China. 

Here is travel guide from China direct. Chinese Green Tea: Types, Health Benefits, How to Make, Drinking Tips (travelchinaguide.com)  My tendency Mick,  in Canada, is to go to a Chinese run herb and tea shop.  There are the few shops run by Chinese-speaking folks, who may be buying direct from China.   The Chinese medicine, herbal shops may have tea in their inventory ..but in a less 'showy" way for general public who are distracted by the jars and display cases of wierd looking herbs.