Thursday dinner

Parsnip Totin Jack

Stopped at Wegmans this morning and picked up two zucchini. After work I sautéed some ground chicken breast with salt, cumin, and Mexican oregano. Flour and chili powder and some chicken broth. Added the chopped zucchini guts. Sprinkled the zucchini boats with Parmesan, filled, and baked them, topped with shredded cheddar. Cooked Ditalini pasta in chicken broth. Added Parmesan cheese and butter. Yum. 

E81F4F63-3A80-48ED-BF82-C6A9E0B9D5F1.jpeg

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

I made my rotisserie chicken gravy (1/2 cup: 111 Cal, 5.5 g Carbs, 293 mg Na), this time making it in an Instant Pot instead of on the gas range.

It's all the bones, carcass, skin and drippings from a 3 lb rotisserie chicken along with diced veggies: 1/4 onion, 2 baby carrots, 1 stalk celery, and 1 tbsp dry Italian seasoning in 3 cups of water, simmered for an hour on the gas range, maintaining the water level, or pressure cooked for 45 minutes.  Then it's run through a strainer into a pot and added is a roux made from nuking 1/4 cup of butter and 1/4 cup of flour for 30 seconds plus 1 thsp Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base.  It's brought back to a simmer for a minute and you've got unbelievable great, fairly thick, chicken gravy: 3 1/3 cups when done in the Instant Pot.

My sister told me she saw recipes for chicken broth and stock where pressure cooking was better for getting flavor from the bone marrow so I looked up online, found 45 min. of pressure cooking was the "sweet spot" for most recipes, and I tried it.

The advantage of the Instant Pot for me is that you set it and forget it: you set it for 45 min. of high pressure, which it takes about 9 minutes to reach, then let the pressure do a natural release (pot turned off, pressure slowly drops) for 15 min, release the remaining pressure, pour it through the strainer into a 2 or 3 quart pot and do the roux and Better Than Bouillon and you're done.

image.thumb.png.ce8b2b269e0c56c7b69d9c142097b46e.png