no more need for summer / winter air

bikeman564™

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I’m sure it will all clear itself by the time you hit highway speeds.

I can imagine parking overnight and freezing to the ground with ice or mud.  The tires wouldn't be balanced so much before you hit highway speeds, perhaps the chunks inside damage the surrounding structure until it clears.

I am sure they must be working on all that, though, maybe they are just dealing with proof of concept issues at the moment.   I am also wondering if the tires are optimized for one adult, but what happens if you put 4 adults in the car and a lot of gear in the boot?  I am sure the tires would be able to handle that, but I do see some sag.  How much does that larger contact patch affect gas mileage and effective life of the tire?  

It is an interesting idea, though.

26 minutes ago, Ice Shanty Hooker said:

I can imagine parking overnight and freezing to the ground with ice or mud.  The tires wouldn't be balanced so much before you hit highway speeds, perhaps the chunks inside damage the surrounding structure until it clears.

I am sure they must be working on all that, though, maybe they are just dealing with proof of concept issues at the moment.   I am also wondering if the tires are optimized for one adult, but what happens if you put 4 adults in the car and a lot of gear in the boot?  I am sure the tires would be able to handle that, but I do see some sag.  How much does that larger contact patch affect gas mileage and effective life of the tire?  

It is an interesting idea, though.

If snow gets packed in one section, an out of balance condition will occur.

Your pneumatic tires sag when weight is added to the vehicle. Tires are (& those would be) sized for the application.

Contact patch changes gas mileage, as well as wheel diameter, and weight.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, smudge said:

I only skimmed this...3D printed tires?? I pass. Too weird for my brain.

The way I read it is when the tire is worn out, 3D printing can be used to add more tread back on the tire.   Kind of like 'retreading' a tire.  

From the link;   treads that can be restored via 3D printing

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

f snow gets packed in one section, an out of balance condition will occur.

I had that issue once after driving and parking outside during a blizzard.   Then the next day (after I worked all night) I drove my Subaru.  OMG there was a HUGE wheel imbalance.  I stopped, and had to figure out what happened.   Then I noticed the snow and ice....  I had to figure out way to clean the ice and snow that got packed in on the backside of the wheels.   What a pain..     That was the first and last time that happened. 

My theory... when I was driving in the blizzard, the snow was DEEP and the wheels got snow packed on the backside of the wheels.  Then when the car was in the parking lot the top of the wheels were in the sun, and the snow melted.  The snow on the bottom of the wheel was still there (like I said the snow was deep) because the sun couldn't get to the lower part 

• Heart 3

24 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

wheels got snow packed on the backside of the wheels. 

Exactly this, happened to me when I had my Grand Prix. One of the front wheels had snow inside it. Didn't notice it at lower speeds, but on the highway it shaked & shimmied. So I kept my speed slower until I exited. I cleared the snow, then no more problem.

• Thank You 1