Carp

maddmaxx

I worked for several hours yesterday blueprinting and assembling a new transmission.  Today I was working on getting the input gear lash working well and the input shaft was moving around in the housing excessively.  It was so bad that I suspected I might have installed a 5x10mm bearing instead of a 5x11.  Disassembled the entire back end of the car to get the trans out and took it apart.  Bearings are correct 5x11.  WTF.  Pulled out the micrometer and began measuring bearings and bearing pockets.  All bearings good at 10.95.  Left side of trans case good at 10.98 mm.  Right side of case measured 11.14.  The bearings were rattling around like bb's in a boxcar.  That's what I get for buying a cheap knockoff.  Fired off a rocket of a review to the seller and proceeded to see what it would take to repair the situation.  I found some poly bag material that was about 0.08 thick and pressed the bearing into the oversized pockets with the bag around the bearing.  Then I cut away all the overhanging excess material leaving just the outer race of the bearing shimmed into place.

It sucks but I'm not screwing around with a Chinese manufacturer for a replacement/return.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

Bearings are the bane of any Customs Broker. To import or export them properly, you need to select the correct 10 digit code that describes them out of a list of around 100 choices. There is never more than one correct code. 
On the export side, you are subject to a $15,000 penalty if you pick a wrong code. On the import side, the codes are used to calculate customs duties, and in some cases anti-dumping duties. 

Welcome to my world. 

• Confused 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I worked for several hours yesterday blueprinting and assembling a new transmission.  Today I was working on getting the input gear lash working well and the input shaft was moving around in the housing excessively.  It was so bad that I suspected I might have installed a 5x10mm bearing instead of a 5x11.  Disassembled the entire back end of the car to get the trans out and took it apart.  Bearings are correct 5x11.  WTF.  Pulled out the micrometer and began measuring bearings and bearing pockets.  All bearings good at 10.95.  Left side of trans case good at 10.98 mm.  Right side of case measured 11.14.  The bearings were rattling around like bb's in a boxcar.  That's what I get for buying a cheap knockoff.  Fired off a rocket of a review to the seller and proceeded to see what it would take to repair the situation.  I found some poly bag material that was about 0.08 thick and pressed the bearing into the oversized pockets with the bag around the bearing.  Then I cut away all the overhanging excess material leaving just the outer race of the bearing shimmed into place.

It sucks but I'm not screwing around with a Chinese manufacturer for a replacement/return.

I hope the polybag material holds its thickness.  A clever solution in any case.

18 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I hope the polybag material holds its thickness.  A clever solution in any case.

It won't, but by then I will have decided if I want to go with a better transmission.  It's difficult to put any other sort of shim in there other than perhaps a very thin amount of indium.  I would always have to worry about some squeezing out an contaminating the bearing.

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Loctite makes a range of retaining compounds for exactly this purpose. Would probably go with the lowest strength option.

54 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Loctite makes a range of retaining compounds for exactly this purpose. Would probably go with the lowest strength option.

Like red or blue?  I'm a bit afraid of contamination.  One of the changes I perform is to remove all the seals and grease from the bearings before installation with a very light bearing oil.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Like red or blue?  I'm a bit afraid of contamination.  One of the changes I perform is to remove all the seals and grease from the bearings before installation with a very light bearing oil.

Not talking about thread locker. Retaining compound is specifically made for cylindrical fittings like outer bearing races that are supposed to be press fit but are loose and sloppy. I use 680 for fitting JIS headset cups into ISO head tubes when they just fall into the tube without using a press. 680 would be way stronger than you want for your application, but 641 might do the job. 

• Thank You 1