Dating can be expensive

Longjohn
Go to solution Solved by Wilbur,

1 minute ago, Zealot said:

And I’m certain he cares for you most. So prudence dictates you at least consider his words.  😊 

9 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Yes it is but I’m going to tone it down from what I told you the plans were. She had second thoughts about i

Because she has a stake in this… I suppose more directly than son’s share. 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

The lovely Sara with an H lives 20 minutes away. I can't imagine 3 hours. 

There is no reason to the art of love. It is flowers and butterflies, swirled in a romance of emotions.

But in the choice to love, there is reason and great depth of pain and sacrifice.

The one should temper the other. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Zealot said:

You’re a grown man. She’s a grown woman. You two make your choices and live with the outcomes. You don’t answer to any of us. 😊 

If you seek the advice of people you trust, then consider what they say. But there’s no shortage of people who’ll offer unsolicited advice, and speak from a position of relative inexperience.  

31 minutes ago, Zealot said:

And I’m certain he cares for you most. So prudence dictates you at least consider his words.  😊 

You give some really good advice. 

• Heart 4

1 minute ago, 12string said:

Just spent over $200 for a show and parking for tomorrow, dinner will add to that if we decide.  Good thing I'm only taking 1 wife!

I found a lot of good looking high maintenance women during my search. Susan likes hiking, camping, fishing, snuggling in front of the fireplace. A lot of them like traveling to far away places, theater, concerts, shopping. I couldn’t afford that kind of woman.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

but it would save me money if we lived together.

That depends...    

A guy at work once told me he was getting married, and he was very happy that he would have 2 pay checks to live on.    I told him...  You don't know how marriage works, you will have zero pay checks soon. 

Another guy once showed me his checking account and pay check.  I asked... I'm sure we make about the same pay, so where is the rest of the money?   He explained his 2 ex-wives have it.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

My son who is the one in the whole world I trust the most told me to take my time.

I agree with your son.     So there is my 2 cents... 

I might need a new car by then. I’ll have to ask my tax guy the best way to go about that.

Have you looked at the prices of cars recently?   I'm keeping my 2010 Subaru for a while, and my 2016 Prius too.   WoBG won't get rid of her 25 year old Honda Prelude any time soon either. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

One thing traveling for a living has taught me is to be reliant on myself for entertainment and replace the accompaniment of others with different solo or group activities.  God forbid I live beyond my wife but if that be the case, I sure as hell won't be looking for another.  Do what is right for yourselves but I know me.  :) 

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Have you looked at the prices of cars recently?   I'm keeping my 2010 Subaru for a while, and my 2016 Prius too.

I don’t have a car that new. I said I might NEED a new car by then. I’ll at least need new spark plugs. I haven’t crawled around under my car recently but two years ago I had to replace the back bumper because it rusted out. (I didn’t even know it had a back bumper, I thought it was all plastic) If the frame rusts out its time for a newer car.

• Solution
1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

LJ, there was a good partial reason why dearie liked feminist me: I wanted to keep on having a career, a job and earning my money to pay for stuff I wanted and for stuff that we shared  together. 

Did he know you don't have to be a feminist to be gainfully employed?  :)

37 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Did he know you don't have to be a feminist to be gainfully employed?  :)

:D  He did on various occasions said I was feminist. He liked that...  I have this feeling was the topics we would talk about for hrs. on end. Nothing to do about gender roles. But business, mgmt., social justice, etc.  I know that I am different from his ex.

For sure, I viewed my jobs as part of a long-term career:  taking/paying for courses (after university grad.) to advance my skills/expertise, paying annual fees into professional associations and participating in those assoc. meetings and committees, attending major conferences,  networking, publishing (I do have some minor articles), etc...and changing jobs as the situation needed.

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Kinda scary...if prices don't go down when covid goes away and our supply chains are back to normal.

Prices never go down (not generally). Commodity prices do but consumer prices, not so much.  The only thing uglier than inflation is deflation.

• Sad 1

Whelp I just spent three hours on the phone talking to Susan. I sure do like that girl. I told her I bought a dog toy for Sarge. I think she is going to turn down that full time summer job and just work part time this summer. Her son talked her into it. I want to shake his hand.

Is there a picture of this military dog?  If not, get one this weekend and post it!

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, az_cyclist said:

Our financial adviser told us, last year, that we need to withdraw from our 401K to lessen the hit from taxes

???   When I take money from my 401K (only once so far) my taxes only go up.

Soon we get to enjoy the benefits :wacko: of required minimum distributions. 

6 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Soon we get to enjoy the benefits :wacko: of required minimum distributions. 

That starts for me this year. That’s what we are going to talk about when I go in to sign some papers and pick up my taxes. I’m guessing it would not be smart to withdraw enough to buy a car. I probably have enough in regular savings to do that.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Scrapr said:

OMG...OMG!

You did not tell us aboot the oog. Need more deets but looks like a keeper

CA695F57-1AB4-4A18-A2F5-95F224823BCA.jpeg.bf049c15c9f36bd37f621e66cae56fda.jpeg

That is Sarge, Susan got him from a shelter a few years ago. Unknown heritage but he is a sweet dog and he approves of me. I brought him a big squeaky toy and he loved it. He hasn’t got the squeaker out of it but she says he will.

• Heart 1