Dead birds

Parsnip Totin Jack

I can’t say dead tits cause they’re not that kind of bird. Last week, just outside the garage was a dead bird. I thought bird may have flown into the garage door and died on impact. I shoveled the body away. Yesterday, there was two more dead birds in the same location. I will shovel them off to the side yard later today. Seems suspicious. I don’t think they are related but there is an outbreak of bird flu in my county. The flu affected some ones backyard chickens. 71 chickens were put down. I wonder if I should contact the county about my dead birds.

Our buildings have dark glass windows and in certain light & cloud conditions birds mistake the windows for open air & plow right into them.  In the 4 years I have been working here I have picked up at least a dozen birds that crashed into the building.  Some still alive, most DOA.  

5 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

There were some problems last year with contaminated feeders in different locations in the US. My friend had some problems and had to clean his feeders and stop feeding for a while. You can probably find some information on this with a Google search.

We had this in Western PA last summer and the request to shut down all feeders and bird baths to decrease infection transmission.

I wipe my feeder down ever time I fill it. Maybe I should take it down. No dead ones that I have noticed. I have greatly thought about the impact. There was an article about bird flu here. It made me happy that I don’t have chickens right now.

when I do deal with the feeder, after cleaning it with a light cleaning solution I always wash my hands. Zoological transfer of illness is something I always keep in mind.

• Heart 1

Well the feeders are in the backyard and the dead birds are in the front yard. The neighbor has a cat that may be killing birds and leaving them outside the garage as some form of tribute. I dunno. I did read about the avian blindness that was thought to come from feeders, but that was last year and we only started the feeders this winter. The bird flu stuff is serious sheot. The only cases found so far was at a commercial poultry farm in KY and a backyard operation in the county that I live in. A lot of people here keep chickens.