Pie Crust

Dirtyhip

Today was a day to make a new batch of crusts.  I make two at a time and freeze them in discs for later use.  It took me a while to get it right.  California Culinary academy cheater fraudulent method is the one I like a lot.  It's forgiving.  The all butter method without the vinegar egg cheats are difficult for me.  They constantly come out poorly that way.  I use a food processor to cut the fats in.  My fats are frozen with the measured dry ingredients.  The crust is workable and super flaky is you don't mess with it too much.  I learned to never roll off the edge when making a pie.  Stay pretty much in the middle.  I reuse that saran wrap to roll it out and peel off right into the pie tin.

1/2 cup sweet cream butter

1/4 cup shortening

2 & 1/4 cup pastry flour

1 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp vinegar

2 eggs

4-6 tbsp ice water

I press them into two disks and freeze in saran wrap and then put those in a freezer bag.  I get about 4 uses with the saran wrap and then toss.

Our 2nd Thanksgiving is happening next weekend.  My friend said it could actually be considered 1st thanksgiving.  :D

• Heart 3

3 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

All butter pie crust can be fussy if it doesn’t set in the fridge long enough before rolling. I like the vodka cheat better. 

Big mystery of why this works.  Maybe it tenderizes?  Of possibly witchcraft.  Yeah, I think it's witchcraft.

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

I make this but use vodka instead of vinegar. 

I should try that.  I never have vodka in this house.  

50 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

That’s because she hadn’t got to the baking part. Klunk and KA-bong are in the baking chapter. 

I was quiet last time I baked.  Very light kabonk.  Maybe it will eventually just stop the kabonk.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

Big mystery of why this works.  Maybe it tenderizes?  Of possibly witchcraft.  Yeah, I think it's witchcraft.

Probably. Could also be the alcohol. Vodka makes me more pliable, too. Vinegar? Not so much. 😃

The reason is that acid in the vinegar prevents gluten from forming, and gluten makes the dough tough. Same with vodka. 

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1