I bought a new pack

SuzieQ

for India.  The one I purchased a month or so ago was too small.  OMGoodness it's tough to pack a backpack for a trip to India!  Monday night I go to NJ to stay with me mum, Tues 4am I get a ride to the airport.  I still have homework to do before Ieave   :whistle:

I bet you have fun if you don't get killed!

What kind of homework do you have?

homework for my 500hr training - I'm going to have double by the time I get back - ugh.

So how do I check a backpack without it getting destroyed?

We flew to Whistler and had to check a snowboard bag. I was looking out the window as I watched a guy throw our bag on the ground from the plane.  My Burton Custom X was in that bag. The way he threw it would have made it land on the rails of the board.  I let out a yelp as I saw that.     :o

Another time, came back from Mexico and our bag literally smelled like someone peed on it. 

Checked bags ... it is atrocious the way they handle them.

We flew to Whistler and had to check a snowboard bag. I was looking out the window as I watched a guy throw our bag on the ground from the plane.  My Burton Custom X was in that bag. The way he threw it would have made it land on the rails of the board.  I let out a yelp as I saw that.     :o

Another time, came back from Mexico and our bag literally smelled like someone peed on it. 

Checked bags ... it is atrocious the way they handle them.

i worked for UPS when I was in college.  I loaded planes. 

homework for my 500hr training - I'm going to have double by the time I get back - ugh.

how big is it??? I carry on my 5,100 CI pack.. fits nicely in the overhead :)

Go to a department store and ask for a cardboard box of a size to match you backpack.  Most stores have extras they're glad to give away.

Pack your backpack in the box and check it in as luggage.  The cardboard will absorb most of the blows from poor handling and the box allows you space to put bubble wrap or other packing around your backpack to protect it.

If you're uncomfortable using a cardboard box, put the backpack in an old suitcase you don't mind getting destroyed.  If you don't have one, you can usually pick up one cheap at a second hand store.

One advantage of the box is you can 'decorate' it so it's easy for you to see at baggage claim.  I would recommend something bright like this:

600px-Biohazard.svg.png

;)

• Heart 1