Thousands of photos- habits don't transfer

shootingstar

Ok, I have spent last few decades, where  organizing and making it possible for others to find files, documents. My paid work habits don't necessarily translate well into personal life. 

It's a challenge when am on a hunt for certain place photos... The scourge of digital world --sure , digital photos are cheaper. I thank MoseySue recognizing 1-2 photos I took in NM when we visited the area.

I suppose no one has the same problem as I --ie. too many photos.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I have 7400 on my phone.  I don't label, file or sort any of them.  Apple does a good enough job of that. 

I take a lot of photos (mostly race weekends) and on the drive home and I'm just sitting in the passenger seat when Wo46 is driving I will pick through the photos and delete the ones that aren't worth keeping. When we get home I transfer them to the desktop computer. 

• Heart 4

I prefer not have  GPS info. on my photos...especially around home. Sure people who know local areas will recognize what it is. That's fine. I just don't want to forget my settings are on.

I try to be disciplined, erasing immediately crappy shots.  Dearie....uploaded years ago, ton of his solo bike touring trips on my computer. I will have to plough through ones which I can't figure out what the value would be to anyone.

There's a few select blog posts I wish to do eventually...ideas lying dormant for a very long time, with specific shots in mind. I'mnot sure how many thousands I have. For instance, our 3 wk. trip to Japan and Seoul, I shot over 1200 photos. Yes, I've done some blog posts.  Certain themes do inspire me by the end of trip which I want to capture a certain essence, convey a certain impression to an audience or something I've learned. It can be local also.

10 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Ok, I have spent last few decades, where  organizing and making it possible for others to find files, documents. My paid work habits don't necessarily translate well into personal life. 

Kind of like a home repair person, who gets home and many things need to be repaired... bur almost never get done.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I have 7400 on my phone.  I don't label, file or sort any of them.  Apple does a good enough job of that. 

Have you downloaded any/much at all? Save it for family. I really mean that.. I know my family will not want 90% of my shots. They acknowledge that I have a blog...and know it is something from me personally, that it is intrinsically at least  part of me...well not just to them, to the world.  But then, they will understand some of the backstories, why I choose certain images. 

I don't see it as a waste. I see some of the good shots...like little pots of paint..just waiting for me to do something. Some of the rare shots have been for paintings.

7 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Have you downloaded any/much at all? Save it for family. I really mean that.. I know my family will not want 90% of my shots. They acknowledge that I have a blog...and know it is something from me personally, that it is intrinsically at least  part of me...well not just to them, to the world.  But then, they will understand some of the backstories, why I choose certain images. 

I don't see it as a waste. I see some of the good shots...like little pots of paint..just waiting for me to do something. Some of the rare shots have been for paintings.

I download family photos but not my work travel photos. 

On 2/20/2022 at 7:29 AM, Wilbur said:

A great job.  I don't think I actually take a ton of photos on my phone, but it is easy to find ones from various times or places almost immediately.  Remember when we were in Zion?  Pull up map, go to Zion, and all the iPhone pics from there are immediately accessible.  Zoom in more, and each photo is overlaid where in the park it was take.  My earlier trips there I generally used my digital camera, so those are simply in folders likely named "20xx month Zion" or similar.  Apple - phone and Mac make the photo bit real easy.

image.png.2183d3357b0f30e892dc68228aea0554.png

And to @shootingstar, photos are all backed up in multiple places - from the cloud, to various portable drives.

• Heart 1

I take a lot of casual photos and have them organized in folders on shutterfly.  I added the shutterfly app to my phone and it really makes it easy to upload and organize the files.  When my Mom moved from the big house to the apartment, she was sad she didn't have room for all her pictures.  So I scanned in all the pics she had on display, but tons of old pics from the photo albums and had them in a digital frame for her.  It was nice to actually see all the old pics.  My sister has it now plus she got one where her kids can email her pics right to the new digital frame so they can see and enjoy the pics they share with one another now that the kids live far away.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

A great job.  I don't think I actually take a ton of photos on my phone, but it is easy to find ones from various times or places almost immediately.  Remember when we were in Zion?  Pull up map, go to Zion, and all the iPhone pics from there are immediately accessible.  Zoom in more, and each photo is overlaid where in the park it was take.  My earlier trips there I generally used my digital camera, so those are simply in folders likely named "20xx month Zion" or similar.  Apple - phone and Mac make the photo bit real easy.

image.png.2183d3357b0f30e892dc68228aea0554.png

And to @shootingstar, photos are all backed up in multiple places - from the cloud, to various portable drives.

I'm glad this works for you, Razor.  As I said I really don't want to forget turning off  GPS settings closer to home. 

I know a friend whose iphone crapped out... and she lost a couple hundred photos. Not clear why she didn't back them up..

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

I take a lot of casual photos and have them organized in folders on shutterfly.  I added the shutterfly app to my phone and it really makes it easy to upload and organize the files.  When my Mom moved from the big house to the apartment, she was sad she didn't have room for all her pictures.  So I scanned in all the pics she had on display, but tons of old pics from the photo albums and had them in a digital frame for her.  It was nice to actually see all the old pics.  My sister has it now plus she got one where her kids can email her pics right to the new digital frame so they can see and enjoy the pics they share with one another now that the kids live far away.

That's really helpful for you do this gift-like gesture for her, Kirby.  Of course, we'll become like your mom..having a long memory of images. :whistle:

What is puzzling in my own  family, is that the earliest baby photos, I'm not sure where they disappeared..since we individually salvaged and picked. So I don't know where that photo of me at 8 months, sitting naked top up in the pram, where it went. Or me learning to crawl. Maybe a sibling has claimed it...as them. :flirtyeyess:  My youngest sibling complains she doesn't even have a baby photo --probably because my parents were too tired and distracted with child 6.

There's no point for me to get too concerned since I did pluck out the most valuable baby photos of self, solo and with parents.

There was a  album of photos from a trip to Greece 25 yrs. ago. I could only have patience/time to unstick 10 photos to scan....and threw out the rest of album.