Malcolm Gladwell's early influences

Rattlecan

Included this guy, Bill Exley. I never had him as a teacher, but he was teaching during my time in High school which was 1967 to 71.

You may recognize other names in the article as Gladwell was not the only one of his students to gain recognition.

Anyway, even those of us in attendance at that school that did not have him as a teacher knew that Mr. Exley was just a wee bit weird

For nearly 60 years, he has been the front man for this band. I guess you could call him the lead vocalist for lack of a better word. I don't think singer really fits.

• Heart 2

31 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Included this guy, Bill Exley. I never had him as a teacher, but he was teaching during my time in High school which was 1967 to 71.

You may recognize other names in the article as Gladwell was not the only one of his students to gain recognition.

Anyway, even those of us in attendance at that school that did not have him as a teacher knew that Mr. Exley was just a wee bit weird

For nearly 60 years, he has been the front man for this band. I guess you could call him the lead vocalist for lack of a better word. I don't think singer really fits.

Which school did you go, Rattlecan?  Somehow that last name sounds familiar.

You see, I don't buy that private school is the solution for all kids. For some situations it helps. For other kids, it can be either way. I think it's a combination of a few good teachers and hanging around with good/positive close friends where kids learn also from one another...ie. ways to vent, social skills and swapping idea/opinions. They need that natural support also throughout school also.

Myself, all siblings and close friends did well...in life. Sure, we hung out with kids that weren't out to overturn the classroom in a rebellion/violent fit.

We had mostly middling teachers..with a few eccentric good teachers. 1 math teacher who was over 6 ft. tall with red hair, stood on top of his desk in front of the class to make this  point. That got our attention.

Another, a geography teacher  got into trouble because he showed us a film which included footage on birth control methods..it was a film about overpopulation.  :D It  showed the front of woman's lower abdomen, about the IUD, etc.  You can imagine the shock to our lower high school level class...in a geography class.  :) 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

EDSS Elmira District Secondary.

I have heard of the last name Exley for sure before I left K-W.

I went to Kitchener Collegiate (public)... a number of  students from the Catholic all boys and all girls schools (St. Jerome's & St. Mary's),  were transferring to our high school in their final year because our school was first to pilot semester system in Waterloo County. ....ie. take only 3-4 subjects intensively per 3 months..which would mimic college or university. I knew kids could fit in a part-time job. There were others who were stacking in 4 courses.  I loved the set-up: it meant longer art classes to focus longer a project with equipment and supplies that could only be used in the studio. (etching & acid, silk screening, etc.) and long in-class discussions.

• Heart 2