Did you quit smoking? How and at what age?

MickinMD

Never smoked.  I did dip in the Army, mostly out in the field not in garrison duty but quit that after I got out.  My wife’s parents both smoked and she started in her teens.  She smoked periodically until she became pregnant with our first child and hasn’t smoked since. 

• Heart 4

Cold turkey when I was 17 YO. Of course I hadn't smoked all that long - about 3 years - and all that much.

Kentucky raised taxed by 5 cents a pack so they went from about 30 cents to 35 cents. This would have been around 1971 and I thought it was a rip-off so I quit. Also news about cigarettes and cancer was getting around even to Kentucky back then.

I almost started back up when I joined the military. The smokers got smoke breaks and the rest of us got to do more work.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

8 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I almost started back up when I joined the military. The smokers got smoke breaks and the rest of us got to do more work.

Weird how that worked wasn’t it?  I grew up with a smoker so the smell didn’t bother me.  In training & in schools I’d often stand with the smokers during smoke breaks but wouldn’t actually smoke just so I wouldn’t get put on a shitty detail.  I also learned not to admit I was from CA.  That usually resulted in a shit detail too. 

On duty smoke breaks weren’t really a thing.  They just smoked between calls & such.  

• Heart 1