He might just make it

jsharr

7 hours ago, jsharrwick said:

Our youngest son turns 18 at the end of August...

....and then we begin working on his Eagle requirements, which include quite a few merit badges as well has his Eagle project.

So, Ryan needs to get this all completed by his birthday? 

16 hours ago, Kirby said:

I don't understand all the details of the ranks and the timing requirements, but he sounds like a dedicated good kid and I hope he gets whatever level he's working towards.

The ranks are Scout, Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star, Life and Eagle.

The first four are earned by learning and practicing scouting skills and doing some volunteering or service.  Once a Scout has earned the rank of First Class he can really consider himself a Scout with all the requisite knowledge and experience.

At each rank, the Scout will meet with his Scoutmaster to review what he has learned and plan where he is going.  For all ranks other than Scout, the youth will also have a follow on board of review.  This is just a review process to help encourage the Scout to continue on his journey

The final three are based on servant leadership, being active in the troop. living by the Scout Oath and Law, holding a leadership position in the troop, either elected or appointed, and earning merit badges that deal with personal managment, citizenship, and life skills.

To earn your Eagle, you must be active in your troop and hold a leadership position for 6 months, show that you are a servant leader, giving back to the troop and community by giving leadership on an Eagle project that benefits the community and allows the Scout to learn to plan, coordinate, budget, purchase materials and over see construction or implementation of the project.  The planning is to such a degree that the Scout should be able to give his project planner to another Scout and that Scout  could do the job start to finish.  It should be of a large enough scale the the Scout has to recruit and over see a team of volunteers.

And lastly, the Scout must earn the final 11 of the 22 required Eagle merit badges.  Ryan has three of them almost done and 4 others in process and has to start planning his Eagle project.

I don't think I would go from Scout to Tenderfoot.  That sounds like a demotion and not an advancement.

But it's really great to see all the effort put into the progression and it's an impressive set of skills that have to be demonstrated.  Good luck to him!