So, what’s your go-to word/phrase?

MoseySusan

My brother was visiting. I noticed he used the words phenomenal, unbelievable, or terrible to describe his likes and dislikes. Over and over…

mr. has started saying actually as his go-to adverb. I’ve noticed myself saying perfect in response. And thank you so much instead of a mere thank you. 

What’s your thing? 

13 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

My brother was visiting. I noticed he used the words phenomenal, unbelievable, or terrible to describe his likes and dislikes. Over and over…

mr. has started saying actually as his go-to adverb. I’ve noticed myself saying perfect in response. And thank you so much instead of a mere thank you. 

What’s your thing? 

These word habits can kinda grate if it's several times/day. After awhile I just tune out the adjective from person. I know, terrible. I find people saying "awesome" now losing its wondrous power because it's used so often by some folks.

Mine might be "wow". Especially at work.  I find it more convenient and less judgemental.  Not saying, it's a great word or anything like that.

12 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

These word habits can kinda grate if it's several times/day. After awhile I just tune out the adjective from person. I know, terrible

I started counting “If I had a quarter for every time he uses those words…” $31. 

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

I started counting “If I had a quarter for every time he uses those words…” $31. 

:party: Nothing wrong with those words, they are stronger adjectives. ie. Phenomenal should be reserved only when a situation is extraordinary. I personally haven't used the adjective either spoken or written  --well, for several yrs. Must be a dull life  I see /experience. :flirtyeyess: (Tell that to your brother.)  I enjoy using the right word and tone for someone who has done something that deserves that superlative.

4 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

:party: Nothing wrong with those words, they are stronger adjectives. ie. Phenomenal should be reserved only when a situation is extraordinary. I personally haven't used the adjective either spoken or written. Must be a dull life  I see /experience. :flirtyeyess: I enjoy using the right word and tone if someone had done something that deserves that superlative.

I attribute it to lack of touch with reality. Surely, something is believable or can be explained. 

• Heart 1

I have a colleague who always says this:  "I don't understand", it's her way to step back and getting the party to explain in full..when some of us know fully, she knows something about the subject matter.  I'm finding, I no longer want to hear it from her because it wastes unnecessary time for the other person to fully explain.  It's now an annoying tactic, that is nearly insulting.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

What’s special about goats? (Not greatest of all time.)

I just envision goat balls as being a whole other level of nasty.. , and sucking them would be even worse.

But just to be clear..., I am making assumptions here, I do have first hand knowledge

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

I just envision goat balls as being a whole other level of nasty.. , and sucking them would be even worse.

But just to be clear..., I am making assumptions here, I do have first hand knowledge

Reminds me of the joke with the punchline

That dawg would bite you! 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I say “fair enough” when listening to something I may not agree with but understanding their perspective . I should come up with something more empathetic.

I learned some stuff at a negotiation skills course last wk.:

• thx for helping me understand etc.
  • Help me understand your etc.....  (when you sense there is a disconnect but it's not fully expressed)
  • Could we explore any of our assumptions...
  • I never thought of it in that way...
  • I understand you up to this point..and then after  ..etc.  ...(when you really disagree with party and cannot yet reach an agreement).
  • Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I say “fair enough” when listening to something I may not agree with but understanding their perspective . I should come up with something more empathetic.

“So, you think?” B)  I’m not known for having empathy. I’d go with “fair enough.” It’s better than what I say now in that situation. “Got it.” 

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

For a long time it was “he/she doesn’t have his oars in the water”. Lately it is “I’m trying to think but nothing’s happening!”  

A Mexican guy that I use to work with would say... "he/she a few Tacos shy of a Fiesta.