More plants just ordered

Dirtyhip

19 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Pictures! You’re so tease us… :foryou:

Everything is white right now.  Wait till Spring.  

Oh, I also figured out that I can order Mason Bees.  They are sweet little solitary bees.  I would like to get some of those.  I have seen Bumble bees on the property and I want more.  MORE! I want ALL the things.  :wub:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Everything is white right now.  Wait till Spring.  

Oh, I also figured out that I can order Mason Bees.  They are sweet little solitary bees.  I would like to get some of those.  I have seen Bumble bees on the property and I want more.  MORE! I want ALL the things.  :wub:

If you build it, they will come. :)

1 minute ago, Airehead said:

This is my plan for Wednesday night. What did you get?

Lily of the valley, bleeding hearts, trillium, iris, alliums, hyacinth, crocus, daffodils, shallots, snowdrops, 

Seeds for clover, alfalfa, arrowleaf balsamroot, wildflower mix, milkweed (from the butterfly people in GA), echinacea, shasta daisy, baby breath, carrots, cilantro, lettuce, broccoli.

So much...so so much!

25 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Love it.  I saw racoon prints this morning, or maybe skunk.  Either way, I love 'em both.  They are all a part of the bigger picture.  

Including feasting on your bulbs. We lost a plot of tulips to squirrels. 
https://www.americanmeadows.com/flower-bulbs/fall-flower-bulbs/8-ways-to-critter-proof-fall-bulb-plantings

I went to the nursery on Saturday to look at trees. Not too far off of what I guesstimated for prices. I’m going to get as large a Chinese Elm as they have and plant that near the center of the backyard. Thinking of a red push and mesquite on each side. WoW would like some citrus. People who grow them here say 1 of each is the equivalent of zucchini in Nebraska. You will be giving fruit away to the neighbors! We use a lot of lime, so I’m good with that. Still discussing orange or lemon. She would also like a palm or 2 just because we can. 
there is some kind of yellow flowered plant growing wild in the back yard. I tried spraying them with vinegar, soap, salt mix, but they just shrugged it off! Tough desert plants figure any moisture is good moisture. I later discovered the bees like it so I’m now leaving it alone. I will sculpt the gravel into pathways and mix the existing desert plants with some succulents. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, groupw said:

I went to the nursery on Saturday to look at trees. Not too far off of what I guesstimated for prices. I’m going to get as large a Chinese Elm as they have and plant that near the center of the backyard. Thinking of a red push and mesquite on each side. WoW would like some citrus. People who grow them here say 1 of each is the equivalent of zucchini in Nebraska. You will be giving fruit away to the neighbors! We use a lot of lime, so I’m good with that. Still discussing orange or lemon. She would also like a palm or 2 just because we can. 
there is some kind of yellow flowered plant growing wild in the back yard. I tried spraying them with vinegar, soap, salt mix, but they just shrugged it off! Tough desert plants figure any moisture is good moisture. I later discovered the bees like it so I’m now leaving it alone. I will sculpt the gravel into pathways and mix the existing desert plants with some succulents. 

I am jealous of your citrus viability. I wonder if you could grow ginger, coffee and vanilla too.

3 minutes ago, groupw said:

I think we might be too low in elevation for coffee. They seem to grow better in the mountains from what I have read. I have no idea on ginger and vanilla. You have me curious to find out!

https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/products/vanilla-bean-plant?variant=31700565819454&gclid=CjwKCAiAsNKQBhAPEiwAB-I5zTHVkcjsKjZ09n2tSlx4RO9_5x5-JcSODRLnCR0rPt103ZnG5WyryRoCpHYQAvD_BwE

2 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

We had a praying mantis on our screen door for about 2 weeks when we first moved in.  If I closed the screen door and opened the slider, it was inside the house with me.  That was fun.  It never left the screen door.  I think it was feasting on bugs that got trapped in there.  I really hope we have a hatch again.  I added lady bugs to the garden too.  I wonder if they went at war with each other.  Next up, bees.  :foryou:

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I never see squirrels.  This is likely due to not having trees.  Maybe someday, I will see them feasting.  :foryou:

Critters are cute, a curiosity, a part of the ecosystem…they chew holes into the roofline, dig tunnels beneath the hardscape, eat up hundreds of dollars of bulbs and plants. Chase away the birds. Carry disease that infects area pets. I’m glad we have mice and roadrunners. Squirrels and coyotes. A healthy appreciation for balance is a good thing. 

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

Critters are cute, a curiosity, a part of the ecosystem…they chew holes into the roofline, dig tunnels beneath the hardscape, eat up hundreds of dollars of bulbs and plants. Chase away the birds. Carry disease that infects area pets. I’m glad we have mice and roadrunners. Squirrels and coyotes. A healthy appreciation for balance is a good thing. 

Neighbor has a cat that is quite a hunter. Possibly he eradicated them. Maverick is a good kitty