Nephew Adam got a $6500/yr. Catholic High School Partial Scholarship

MickinMD

Nephew Adam now has choice of a great public high school IT Program and going to a Catholic High school.

Adam told me yesterday that he's been offered a $6500/yr. scholarship to Archbishop Curley High School when he begins the 9th Grade in the Fall.  That would mean his parents would need to come up with another $11,000/yr, with some help from the rest of the family.

But that school is on the other side of the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel and would be a 30-75 min. drive each way, depending on time of day, accidents, etc.  There is a bus at his current Catholic Elementary School that takes kids to Curley in the morning and brings them back in the afternoon.  But nothing for most extracurricular stuff.

Meanwhile, he's also been offered a slot in the prestigious IT Program for gifted and talented kids at the local, public, North County High School, a 5 minute drive or 15 minute walk from his house, which is in the same school system from which I retired.  The school is populated mostly by kids of homeowners of $350-$500 homes in a slightly above-avg. income suburb and he knows a lot of those kids for sports, church, Catholic school, etc. and all the students going into 9th Grade would be going to school there for the first time. Two of Adam's closest friends also got accepted into the IT Program and their parents are sending them to it: to me it's a no-brainer to do so: the math in our county schools is equal or better than the Catholic schools and Adam's planning to go into some area involving math.

Adam says he's not sure which high school he prefers.  His father, my brother, said he's leaning toward the public school (the one we attended merged with another one to become the high school in question).  My SiL said she'd only consider the Catholic school if it's a 100% scholarship. So, hopefully, he's going

I took a picture of the three of them in the deep end of Adam's big in-ground pool at a 2019 4th of July party when they were around 11 years-old: Ethan (L), Adam, and Seth(R). So it seems like Adam's already hanging with the right crowd of kids:

20190706_170116.jpg.d5f3f10408aff6d1d540010d8979550c.jpg

When I was headed to HS, we had a similar situation.  You had the local public HS (a good one), another public HS that shared an overlapping map for attendance, and several religious high schools.  When my class "graduated", many went to the better Jesuit HS, and then a mix of the other schools.  It was tough to break up the elementary/middle school friendships, and luckily, a large group of my friend - the boys only - went off to the same HS as me.  My oldest sister was at one all girls HS, and my middle sister at the local public HS, and my cousin's at the alternate public HS.  Everyone seemed to end up liking their choices, so who the hell knows if it mattered or not. :dontknow: 

• Like 2

I went to a Catholic high school in Kentucky. The local public high schools weren't all that good. We had students who switched from the Catholic school to the public school and their grades went way up. They'd already been taught similar lessons a year or two before.

I almost went to a special all boy Catholic HS where I would have skipped the 7th and 8th grades. I was pretty socially inept and graduating HS at age 16 plus having little interaction with females would have set me way back.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

When I was headed to HS, we had a similar situation.  You had the local public HS (a good one), another public HS that shared an overlapping map for attendance, and several religious high schools.  When my class "graduated", many went to the better Jesuit HS, and then a mix of the other schools.  It was tough to break up the elementary/middle school friendships, and luckily, a large group of my friend - the boys only - went off to the same HS as me.  My oldest sister was at one all girls HS, and my middle sister at the local public HS, and my cousin's at the alternate public HS.  Everyone seemed to end up liking their choices, so who the hell knows if it mattered or not. :dontknow: 

I had a similar breakup after Catholic Elementary School: half of the kids lived in Baltimore City and half in Anne Arundel County so even those going to public high schools got split.  Back then in 1964, the Catholic High School tuition was only around $150/year ($1360 in 2022 dollars), but it doubled in 2 years, so I went to Catholic high for 2 years then public high school.