Thank god: for coffee shop with donuts, middling muffins, etc.

shootingstar

4 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

In my life, at times, those shops have been god-send:   during a long summer bike ride in rural areas  especially in the middle of nowhere  (too possible in Canada). Places for drink, sustenance, warmth or in summer, protection from heavy rain.

If you watch any British cycling video, they ALWAYS stop for tea or coffee and snacks like baked goods.  Sometimes beer.

I need to add more of that to my riding.

• Heart 4

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

If you watch any British cycling video, they ALWAYS stop for tea or coffee and snacks like baked goods.  Sometimes beer.

I need to add more of that to my riding.

But that might ruin your good eating habits. :P  To remain svelte.  

I realize one should be cost-effective by carrying from home, a drink or banana. Sure. However the point of cycling for longer distances, is to enjoy mindlessly and then get energy refreshed midway..at least for me.

Cycling to me, doesn't need to be a fitness/utilitarian transportation trip chore. Since my non-winter lifestyle and mode of transportation has been primarily cycling for past 3 decades, I take a less obsessed exercise-speed  approach. It helps me..then cycling becomes enjoyable and I keep doing it. Ergo, without exercise mind-focus, I become a bit more fit  and happier. (I never  said fantastically fit.)

But back to coffee shops, we've settled for the food at gas stations in rural areas.

It's great when you find just the right treat at the right time.  I usually don't eat when I'm running errands, but every so often on a very hot day in the summer I might find myself near someplace that serves tasty ice cream, or a banana pineapple smoothie. :nodhead:

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Coffee shops are a bikers best friend. They also serve as a helluva destination for those times when you jump on the bike and lack direction. 

Until we did cycling out in rural areas, I didn't quite see those shops like that. Near lifesavers.

Such a relief to find one during those near desperate times.  Today felt vaguely desperate, @7:30 am I was downtown, yet hardly anything was open. lst coffee shop was  for hospital employees only..it was inside a hospital.  2nd one was 15 min. walk further...thank god not any further.

It's not pleasant walking for half an hr. when it's deeply cold enough for frostbite on your face. 

5 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Until we did cycling out in rural areas, I didn't quite see those shops like that. Near lifesavers.

Such a relief to find one during those near desperate times.  Today felt vaguely desperate, @7:30 am I was downtown, yet hardly anything was open. lst coffee shop was  for hospital employees only..it was inside a hospital.  2nd one was 15 min. walk further...thank god not any further.

It's not pleasant walking for half an hr. when it's deeply cold enough for frostbite on your face. 

They work great in suburban biking as well.  I'm not much of an urban biker anyway.  

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

You are quite amazing.  

Forecast is 5 F tomorrow.  I am not looking forward to waiting for the bus in that weather.

Well, no.

I felt the skin under my bum cheeks, start to get  cold...dry..skin was starting to hurt abit. :whistle: So I went to washroom, to put on body lotion. I should have worn long underwear also...

Sorry...I also DID NOT expect this at all. Then I later noticed today, while sitting inside coffee shop, alot of women wearing bulky down/parkas past their bum ..in our region of Canada.  Albertan women get super  practical with boots also...clumping around in  fake fur lined long  boots, etc. Forget the unlined fashion leather riding boots today!

11 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Well, no.

I felt the skin under my bum cheeks, start to get  cold...dry..skin was starting to hurt abit. :whistle: So I went to washroom, to put on body lotion. I should have worn long underwear also...

Sorry...I also DID NOT expect this at all. Then I later noticed today, while sitting inside coffee shop, alot of women wearing bulky down/parkas past their bum ..in our region of Canada.  Albertan women get super  practical with boots also...clumping around in  fake fur lined long  boots, etc. Forget the unlined fashion leather riding boots today!

The weather cracked me today.  I just drove the Trail boss to work and I will use the vehicle to drive myself to work.  It felt weird.  I have not driven a vehicle in at least 6 months. There are a couple ways to get where I am going.  I took the route that is 30 mph tops.  HAHA

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

The weather cracked me today.  I just drove the Trail boss to work and I will use the vehicle to drive myself to work.  It felt weird.  I have not driven a vehicle in at least 6 months. There are a couple ways to get where I am going.  I took the route that is 30 mph tops.  HAHA

Dearie mentioned that when his driving a rental, fell to 1-3 times annually for past decade of his life. All his choice. Home was close to LRT, shops, services, cycling paths.  

Same for a good friend who is a cyclist and lives in a Toronto neighbourhood close to subway, shops, services. She uses carshare services...several firms in Toronto.  She  has an income (no children), now retired...and you can imagine, can direct/invest her money differently.

17 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I guess everyone is else is so well-disciplined or they often carry food on themselves, on long rides  (and no one goes  out for -30 degrees C winter day for a long walk like crazy me).

When I think of the unexpected Country Donut chain shop out somewhere on edge of a city   (not our region).. 

If it hits -30oC where I live, I'm not going out for a ride. Probably not a walk either.  I don't think this area has ever hit -22oF (-30oC), but we do go negative in wind chill every so often.  That's a brutal temp, and I would stay inside and drink coffee in peace :)

From my nearby airport, the most record low was  -18oF (-27oC) through 1993 (1962-93).  I moved to the area in 1994, and it has gotten cold, but almost never as cold as you're talking about!

image.png.eaec66b755d2233c2fe77cb7dade57d5.png

For about a wk. or so after this past Christmas our winter temp. dropped as low as -37  C degrees  = -34 F ,  even -40 C degrees  = -40 degrees F. When metric - imperial.

We  get such temperatures for a few winter days....every winter. And this is not measuring just at our airport...where there is wide open space.

2 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

0F with the sun shining just now felt pretty nice after our -24F low this morning. Looks like we have a warming trend on the way. I mentioned in another post, that record lows for yesterday's date were set in Miles City, Billings, and Livingston.

yes, we shot up 15 degrees in the past  8 hrs. today....kinda crazy.

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

yes, we shot up 15 degrees in the past  8 hrs. today....kinda crazy.

Pretty normal pattern for here. We get the wind and the snow, and then we get clearing with a drop in temperature. Sometimes it drops more than in others. This was pretty severe.