Craftsman lifetime warranty

bikeman564™

5 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Is still a thing.

Back story: My 8mm allen wrench is worn, very worn. To where I cannot use it to remove pedals.

So I looked on Craftsman's website and they still replace them (amongst a lot of other tools). Since Lowe's is a Craftsman dealer I called them, and yes they do honor the lifetime replacement. This made me happy :)  I drove a few miles to my local Lowe's, walking in like :skipping:. I talk to the service counter and the nice lady says "tools are over there, go pick it out". As I'm walking over to the tool department, I'm thinking "they will not have individual wrenches:scratchhead: (like the Craftsman store or Sears did). And I was correct, so this made me mad :angry: After talking to a sales guy, they do not sell individual sizes. So I asked him, "what if I bring in my entire set, would you place it as a whole"? He said "yes, we'll do that". This made me happy again, because they will all be new :) I was slightly annoyed having to drive home and get them, but also annoyed I didn't think of this sooner. Oh well. live & learn.

I then return to Lowe's, and my set has 13 allen wrenches. The Craftsman set they have only  has 10 :wacko: The three it did not have were odd-ball sizes, 4.5, 5.5, & 9 mm. But still, what if one day I need one of those?:dontknow: So I ask the same guy "can I remove my three that the new set does not have"? He says "sure". This made me feel so glad :) We walked to the service counter and presto. I'm walking oot w/ a new set and my three w/o exchanging anything but a thank you.

I miss the Craftsman store because they did sell everything individual, however Lowe's was accommodating. FYI, they did sell individual screw drivers though. Also, my old wrenches had the ball end, which is no biggie. The sales guy that assisted me was very nice and very helpful.

The end.

IMO you do not want ball end wrenches unless you have a particular screw that requires an off axis wrench engagement.  They are weaker than standard wrenches and cannot be ground down and retempered if they do round off.  They are also more likely to "slip" out of the screw if a lot of torque is being used.  That said, my race car set includes one each, standard and ball end.  You'd laugh at the sizes I use though, 1.5, 2, 2.5 and sometimes 3mm.  I don't have a ball end for the 1.5 as that would be far too weak and I don't need one for the 3mm.  At those small sizes they are made with tool steel, ground to size not broached and they are tempered.  The are also about $10 per.

When I was working for the laser company I purchased for them a set of 080 allen wrenches as the ones they were using on the assembly floor rarely lasted more than a day.  The one's I bought from the hobby shop lasted for years.

I have a fetish for quality allen wrenches.

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

IMO you do not want ball end wrenches unless you have a particular screw that requires an off axis wrench engagement.  They are weaker than standard wrenches and cannot be ground down and retempered if they do round off.  They are also more likely to "slip" out of the screw if a lot of torque is being used.  That said, my race car set includes one each, standard and ball end.  You'd laugh at the sizes I use though, 1.5, 2, 2.5 and sometimes 3mm.  I don't have a ball end for the 1.5 as that would be far too weak and I don't need one for the 3mm.  At those small sizes they are made with tool steel, ground to size not broached and they are tempered.  The are also about $10 per.

When I was working for the laser company I purchased for them a set of 080 allen wrenches as the ones they were using on the assembly floor rarely lasted more than a day.  The one's I bought from the hobby shop lasted for years.

I have a fetish for quality allen wrenches.

I agree about the ball end. The ball end was on the long side, which I never used to apply torque. But as I said its no biggie. The cool thing aboot this new set is, it includes a plastic handle, so I can turn them into a T-handle version. And I figure, I'll probably never have to do this again.

I have a 3/8 drive ratchet and several screw drivers that Craftsman with not replace. The tool line has sold several times in the last few years and they have a new design with a different part number. 

If the part number doesn't match or the wrench is disconnected craftsman will not replace it. I emailed them several times with no response and on their Facebook page my posts were deleted.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I have a 3/8 drive ratchet and several screw drivers that Craftsman with not replace. The tool line has sold several times in the last few years and they have a new design with a different part number. 

If the part number doesn't match or the wrench is disconnected craftsman will not replace it. I emailed them several times with no response and on their Facebook page my posts were deleted.

huh, that seems very strange.

12 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Snap-On

Of course, you would still be paying off the original mortgage on the Allen wrenches

My son has a crap-ton of Snap-On tools and boxes. He was a retail rep for a few years and acquired a good collection of their tools. As far as Allen wrenches go, I’d get the Park tool ball end set. None finer for wrenching bikes.

• Heart 2